Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: roof rack ideas for transporting two 2017 hobie outbacks.  (Read 7542 times)

ppwack02

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Hey guys,

I finally got the old lady too pull the trigger on an outback. I am looking for any advice or ideas on moving two at a time preferably by roof rack. We own a Tacoma shortbed with a leer topper and a Thule bar system installed. The bar system is not wide enough to accommodate two outbacks side by side.

I've been looking into the Thule Hullavator Pro. The Outback exceeds the load capacity by 13lbs, but from looking around on Youtube it seems like plenty of people use them. The only drawback is the price for two i'd be looking at around $1300. I think this would be a nice option for the old lady though and she would be able to handle the kayak by her self if she wanted to go out while i'm at work. I have also looked into the Yakima show down, but the reviews seem to be pretty poor from what I've read. The only other Idea I can think of is get a wider rack or possibly stack them on top of each other which seems like a huge pain in the ass. I would prefer not to trailer them but that may be the best thing too do for the price.

Any ideas or input for transporting would be greatly appreciated. I will try to post a picture of the topper tomorrow.

Thanks,

PP

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:55:39 PM by ppwack02 »

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I don't have Hobie kayaks so this may not apply.  But I needed to transport two kayaks and I am doing it on a Chevy Suburban.  I didn't like my options so I went to the welding shop and had them install a wood rack.  I am overlanding this vehicle.  My goal is offload off grid two weeks minimum capacity. (it will take 5 years) so this is just part of the process. But a wood rack might be a good option. Readily available and built for larger loads.  Much more affordable because they are in a different market than recreation.  You can install them right over your canopy.

Just a thought if you are looking for a different way to go. .02

Good luck.

Here is what I did.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:25:26 AM by Widgeonmangh »
Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I know kardial_84 hauls two Outbacks on his Tacoma.  He doesn't have a topper, but does have some kind of rack. For hauling just one, you could get a hitch extension and put the yak in the back of the truck.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
It isn't pretty,  but I hang 2 outbacks out of the back of my tundra.  I'm not sure how much narrower the Tacoma is. I have a bed extender listed in the classifieds I don't use anymore.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I put 2 revolutions on a Prius roof rack side by side.  One kayak is on rollers and is sitting right side up, the other is upside down directly on the crossbars.  Having one kayak slightly higher than the other allowed them to fit side by side.

I can solo load the Revolution on the rollers.

And yes, 2 kayaks is slightly over the load limit for the Yakima rack (and the Prius.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:29:20 AM by bb2fish »

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
looked into the inno kayak lifter assist side loader.?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:48:52 PM by dampainter »

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
It isn't pretty,  but I hang 2 outbacks out of the back of my tundra.  I'm not sure how much narrower the Tacoma is. I have a bed extender listed in the classifieds I don't use anymore.

+1

I have a Tacoma and often carry two kayaks with a truck bed extender.  I do a outback and a Revo.  I put one down ready to fish and one on its side for transport with two.  I love not having to lift them overhead and it make the whole process quicker.  Just hang a red flag off the back.  I picked up mine for around $50 on craigslist.

Here is a link to Guppy Tamers extender.  Good price- if anyone is interested i would get this! Unfortunately it looks like you are in Alaska though.  But it would look for one similar.   http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=21014.msg220942#msg220942
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:09:00 PM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

AKRider

• Lingcod
  • Let's FISH Southcentral AK!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I have a Tundra, and I bought the extra wide Thule load bars and I can load two Outbacks on mine. 

Getting them off I can manage, gravity assist and all.  But putting them on I use a keel roller way at the back so I don't have to dead lift the things.   I basically tie off the stern of the kayak to the hitch receiver so it doesn't walk away, then lift the bow onto the roller, and then push it all the way up and on.   I then get on a stepladder or climb a wheel and flip the kayak over to strap it down.   

By shoving the first all the way to one side, I can load the second using the keel roller, and repeat the flip procedure.   

I dont recall the exact brand of roller, but I bought it at Cabela’s in Anchorage.  If I can track down a picture of it I will load that up.

This is it almost exactly:    https://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Sherpak-Suction-Mounting/dp/B009PAAI5I/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=kayak+loader+keel+roller&qid=1555807640&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1

The tundra is like 6’ or more to bars, so the roller is KEY to getting me reloaded after a long day on the water !

ROB
AKRider

Disclaimer - 'Online fishing advice is worth every penny you pay for it'

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
I have a Tundra, and I bought the extra wide Thule load bars and I can load two Outbacks on mine. 

Getting them off I can manage, gravity assist and all.  But putting them on I use a keel roller way at the back so I don't have to dead lift the things.   I basically tie off the stern of the kayak to the hitch receiver so it doesn't walk away, then lift the bow onto the roller, and then push it all the way up and on.   I then get on a stepladder or climb a wheel and flip the kayak over to strap it down.   

By shoving the first all the way to one side, I can load the second using the keel roller, and repeat the flip procedure.   

I dont recall the exact brand of roller, but I bought it at Cabela’s in Anchorage.  If I can track down a picture of it I will load that up.

This is it almost exactly:    https://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Sherpak-Suction-Mounting/dp/B009PAAI5I/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=kayak+loader+keel+roller&qid=1555807640&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1

The tundra is like 6’ or more to bars, so the roller is KEY to getting me reloaded after a long day on the water !

ROB

Can you post a side view of your tundra?

AKRider

• Lingcod
<@GuppyTamer>.   I don't have a side shot handy, but with the shell on the back the key for me was to get over the back hatch/shell window without taking it out, hence the hitch rope and the roller.   

The roller suction cups behind the rear load bar as far back as I can go... —> right above the rear window of my shell, I just have to remember to pop it off before driving away.   I haven’t forgotten yet, but suspect those suction cups wont hold for my 250 mile fishing commute from Homer back to Anchorage (at least until I move to homer and get my fish commute down to 20 miles or less).   

I’ll shoot a side shot next time just before I roll my outback on and once I am loaded and ready to roll.
AKRider

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I fit an Outback and a Kraken 14 on the roof of my Excursion using two Hullivators.  I did buy new wider Thule bars so the Hullivators cleared the sides of the truck when lowering the kayaks.

There’s enough room between the two kayaks that I’m sure a second Outback would fit.

One thing to watch is the stress on the Thule bar feet.  Mine were rather old (truck is a 2000 model). A couple bases broke and I found replacements at ReRack in Portland.  Unfortunately another one broke while in NW Montana last July with both kayaks so I ran 60 miles into Kalispell and replaced all four with the newer Thule feet.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

ppwack02

• Krill
AKRider,

I would also like to see a side picture when it's available. A little off topic, but how do you like your tundra. We are actually looking at upgrading.

Thanks,

PP

AKRider

• Lingcod
PP

2014 Tundra has been great.  I got a great deal on the Limited version, would have bought the SR5 if there had been one with bucket not bench seats up front on the lot, but the limited is nice.   I upgraded the stereo amp and speakers about a year in, I put a bed liner in it, and eventually a Leer top on it, and an electric brake controller for my travel trailer, and it’s been purring along for almost 5 years now.   Not a single problem no repairs beyond the regular maintenance - just what you’d expect in brakes, air filters, tires, oil changes and the like.

The rack is mounted to the rear canopy/shell, not the cab.  The kayaks as you can almost see in the front shot, ride starting above the cab -toward the back of the truck and overlap the back of the shell a foot or two.   I generally strap them down well to the bars (at least two each) add my security cable through the drive holes and around the bars, and then put a stern clip /rope on them.   I generally don't use a bow line, but have never had them budge an inch even at highway speeds or in emergency braking.   I rigged my stern ropes with two loops - one for securing the stern of the kayaks to the hitch receiver chain holes, and the other at a longer point to clip off for my loading lift.  I just move the stainless load clip from one to the other once loaded and then use the excess rope to tension the stern line slightly.  With the shell on I get a bit more road noise than my previous ride - an 03 Sequoia, so I’ll be adding some dynamat in the cabin to see if I can quiet the ride a bit. 

More loading Pics coming... was hoping to fish today, but 6 days of snow and a few surprises put my spring plans back a week or more.  I guess I’ll post this one from a couple years back - you can see the loaded position relative to the truck if you look past the fishing geek grandstanding out front.
AKRider

AKRider

• Lingcod
OK finally got around to loading up. 

Needed the Thule roof box on the truck, but you’ll be able to see from the later shots that there is still plenty of space on those wide load bars.

First - the set up with the bow line tied off to the hitch.

Second - the stern loaded up onto the keel roller.

Then I shove the thing up on the keel roller until it rests on both racks, and climb up the wheel or a stepladder and flip it over for transport keel up.    Side shot, and shot from back of the pickup.

Has worked great for me for two Hobie Outbacks flat, and keel up.   

Rob
AKRider

ppwack02

• Krill
Just wanted to thank everyone for the ideas. The old ladie's son comes up next week so I needed to make a decision quick.

I ended up going with the trailer for a following reasons.

-The hullavator's would of cost $1200-$1300, also I would need to buy longer bars around $100.

-From what I was reading about our Leer topper your not supposed to have more than 150 lbs on top. The two outbacks and the hullavator's we would be at around 250 lbs. This worried me about the possible ass chewing I would receive if something went wrong. (Her truck)

-After seeing a few trailers in person I realized this was probably the easiest way for her to load and unload the yaks without injuring herself.

I found a galvanized steel boat trailer on Craigslist for $1000, ended up paying $750 for it. I adjusted the bunks to face straight up and bolted some carpeted two by fours down for a level surface.

PP
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:56:19 PM by ppwack02 »

anything