Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:15:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Leopard Shark.. on the fly...from the kayak?  (Read 2597 times)

• Date Registered: Dec 2018
Alright so this is a pretty specific one, but after seeing some of the Flylords guys catch a Leopard Shark in the Cali surf last year I haven't been able to get the thought of catching one on the fly from the kayak off my mind. I know the basic stuff; the come as far north as Coos Bay, and generally don't head back into the bays until the water starts warming up. Does anyone have additional info, or any experience with catching them anywhere in Oregon on the fly or on gear? Basically I just want to collect as much data as I can to avoid blindly casting to nothing until something shows up.
Any beta is much appreciated!

KBStudio

• Perch
  • kimbrunstudio
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
Caught a 70 lbs Blue Shark off the Coronado Islands out of San Diego in the late 80's.  We chummed the sharks in using live anchovies.  I then tossed a fly I made that looked like an anchovy or bait fish.  Used an 8 Wt Garcia Fiberglass Rod and an 8/9 Scientific Angler reel.  As this may have been a IGFA record, we got another boat to act as witnesses. We boated it but the skipper of our boat, and old friend, misread the record book and told me the current record was over 700 lbs.  Unfortunately, I released it with no pictures only a bunch of dishearten bystanders.  That night I went into the record book and realized there was not a single entry for fly caught sharks.  So it would off qualified for a record.  However, it would have only lasted a couple of weeks as I guy named Able realized what I had and started targeting all the empty fly records for salt water game fish. No idea how many he amassed using his own reels.

Long answer and not an Oregon story, but I would use chumming to bring in the sharks.  I would assume that areas where salmon and or seals are present would be a good starting point.
2017 Hobie Outback

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm doing this by memory, but I think chumming for fish is illegal in Oregon unless you're three miles or more offshore.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Nobody targets them here in the Lower Coos river system. I've only heard of accidental catches and that was of only 2 being caught. I do know they are social animals and will hang out with other leopard sharks and the brown smooth hound sharks- they are more active at night and move with the tide( so right there is a big challenge in its self) - have a very specific diet as to were they are at in the river system (marine worms, ghost/mud shrimp, oysters/clams, flatfish/small fishes and bay shrimp/crabs and barnacles). Sadly to say the numbers like the starry flounder are way down since they are a favorite food of seals and sea lions.
Scott

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
When I was a student at Humboldt State, I used to target leopards in Humboldt Bay.  We fished shallow mudflats in the north end of the bay during high tides (they would just be mud flats at low tides).  The warmer the water you could find, the better.  Chuck out a whole sardine, set the clicker on your reel, and wait for it to sing.

I still catch an occasional leopard when fishing for CA halibut down there too.  They're quite fond of live bait.  I would usually find them on the edges of the shipping channels, often in less than ten feet of water.

I've never tried for them in Oregon, but with ever-increasing numbers of CA halibut showing up in Coos Bay, it wouldn't surprise me if more leopards would show up along with them.
aMayesing Bros.

KBStudio

• Perch
  • kimbrunstudio
Clayman-I too am a grad of Humboldt State and a "mud" shark fisherman of Humboldt Bay.  We fished around the nuclear power plant's out flows at night.  Caught quite a few.  This was in the early 70's.  I think the power plant has ceased operations.

Tinker-Just checked the regs and you are correct.  Chumming is illegal.  I guess I should say "nevermind" to my post!
2017 Hobie Outback

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I also had Leopard shark heavy on my mind last year. I took Claymans advice and hit up Humboldt bay. Not with the fly - hell no. Why waste time on the water with a defective method? Toss that fly fisherman ego off the stern and use bait. But caught a nice fish near the jetty. Going back this summer for more.

Clayman

• Salmon
Clayman-I too am a grad of Humboldt State and a "mud" shark fisherman of Humboldt Bay.  We fished around the nuclear power plant's out flows at night.  Caught quite a few.  This was in the early 70's.  I think the power plant has ceased operations.
Right on fellow lumberjack  8).  I admit, I miss that damn nuclear power plant outfall.  I used to crush perch there in the spring, enormous pile perch up to 18 inches.  And knowing what I know now, I bet it attracted all sorts of other game fish.  They removed the nuclear rods from the plant in 2010 or 2011, right after I left HSU.  They converted the plant from nuclear to natural gas.
aMayesing Bros.

KBStudio

• Perch
  • kimbrunstudio
Clayman-We used to catch Rainbow Perch off the pier at Trinidad Head.  They were monsters.  Don't know if they still clean crab while moored at the pier, but talk about chumming. All sorts of fishies and they would take anything.
2017 Hobie Outback

• Date Registered: Dec 2018
I also had Leopard shark heavy on my mind last year. I took Claymans advice and hit up Humboldt bay. Not with the fly - hell no. Why waste time on the water with a defective method? Toss that fly fisherman ego off the stern and use bait. But caught a nice fish near the jetty. Going back this summer for more.

It's not an ego thing. I fish gear and fly depending on what the goal is. I know it would be easy to target one on gear, but it just seems like it would be a really interesting pursuit on the fly. I'll probably use a some bait or scented tackle to figure out where they are and catch one or two, and then spend the rest of the day throwing enormous flies at them in vain. I used to fly fish for reds and sea trout in the flats of the gulf a lot and miss those massive line screaming runs. Basically I'm trying to simulate a similar experience here.

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

It's not an ego thing. I fish gear and fly depending on what the goal is. I know it would be easy to target one on gear, but it just seems like it would be a really interesting pursuit on the fly. I'll probably use a some bait or scented tackle to figure out where they are and catch one or two, and then spend the rest of the day throwing enormous flies at them in vain. I used to fly fish for reds and sea trout in the flats of the gulf a lot and miss those massive line screaming runs. Basically I'm trying to simulate a similar experience here.

Ya sorry man, sometimes its hard to write a reply and try to joke around without sounding like an asshole. I guess I need to use more of those emoji things  ::) ;) Browsing/reading around I see that Leopard shark is pursued often by fly. I am surprised that a fish that relies so much on scent would take artificial.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

Ya sorry man, sometimes its hard to write a reply and try to joke around without sounding like an asshole. I guess I need to use more of those emoji things  ::) ;) Browsing/reading around I see that Leopard shark is pursued often by fly. I am surprised that a fish that relies so much on scent would take artificial.

It is definitely an ego thing.  We fly-flingers love to go fishing with your gearheads because it's so easy to outfish you.   >:D
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

It is definitely an ego thing.  We fly-flingers love to go fishing with your gearheads because it's so easy to outfish you.   >:D

Haha now that is the funny- as it would never happen. 
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
It's happened more than once. :P
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
It's happened more than once. :P
Hey! Who’s that guy?!?!?  :laughing4:
Where you been?

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”