Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Request for jigging reel recommendation  (Read 6961 times)

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
This is just me for but fishing "shallow" like we are for salmon jigging I would much rather have a thumb release and star drag - just easy one-handed fishing.             

You can get high speed gear ratios and I'm not worried at all about the drag ratings or line capacity on these 300/400 sized lowpros when it comes to inshore/puget sound fishing.
formerly known as smokeondawater

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Two other reels I have used in the past for jigging/bottom fishing have been Abu Garcia 6500's, and the Shimano TRG 100 or 200 models.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I'm in the market for a new halibut/lingcod/Kraken reel and have been following this thread. Thank you for posting it! I've looked at the Daiwas, Penns, Shimanos, Okumas and of course the (slightly spendy) Avets, Accurates and Seiglers. After wiping away all of the drool on my screen, I'm looking at the Piscifun Salis X 3000 as it's a little more around my price range that fits the "DAGNABBIT! I dropped my $100 reel over the side of my kayak! Now I have to go home and hang my head in shame and explain to my wife why I'm so mopey." instead of the "M*%&$@#%?%#!! I dropped my $150-$400 reel over the side of my M*%&$@#%?%# kayak! Aaaaiiiighhhh!!! AAAAARRRRGHHHHH!!! Do I swim down 300 feet to retrieve it! Where am I going to get the M*%&$@#%?%# plasma to get enough money to buy another one?!" price range. I know, I know... I'm being overly dramatic and I should have it leashed, but there are times...

Fred "True" Trujillo

I leash my rods with the smallest size of retractable dog leashes.  With jigging or trolling rods, I clip the leash to a loop of spectra line taped to the rod about 6 inches in front of the reel.  With spinning rods, I clip the leash to a loop of spectra line which runs through the end of the butt of the reel.  When the leash is attached to the rod in these locations and runs to a rod holder by my knee, it doesn't interfere at all with use of the rod, and I don't even notice that the leash is attached.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:54:05 PM by pmmpete »

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I'm in the market for a new halibut/lingcod/Kraken reel and have been following this thread. Thank you for posting it! I've looked at the Daiwas, Penns, Shimanos, Okumas and of course the (slightly spendy) Avets, Accurates and Seiglers. After wiping away all of the drool on my screen, I'm looking at the Piscifun Salis X 3000 as it's a little more around my price range that fits the "DAGNABBIT! I dropped my $100 reel over the side of my kayak! Now I have to go home and hang my head in shame and explain to my wife why I'm so mopey." instead of the "M*%&$@#%?%#!! I dropped my $150-$400 reel over the side of my M*%&$@#%?%# kayak! Aaaaiiiighhhh!!! AAAAARRRRGHHHHH!!! Do I swim down 300 feet to retrieve it! Where am I going to get the M*%&$@#%?%# plasma to get enough money to buy another one?!" price range. I know, I know... I'm being overly dramatic and I should have it leashed, but there are times...

Fred "True" Trujillo

Thanks for the dog leash idea!  I never would have thought about using one to protect my gear.

I leash my rods with the smallest size of retractable dog leashes.  With jigging or trolling rods, I clip the leash to a loop of spectra line taped to the rod about 6 inches in front of the reel.  With spinning rods, I clip the leash to a loop of spectra line which runs through the end of the butt of the reel.  When the leash is in these locations, it doesn't interfere at all with use of the rod, and I don't even notice that the leash is attached.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Thanks for the dog leash idea!  I never would have thought about using one to protect my gear.
Retractable dog leashes are way less expensive at big box discount stores like Walmart than they are at pet stores.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:51:51 PM by pmmpete »

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
That is a great idea! Dog leashes! Who would have thunk it?

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Retractable dog leashes are way less expensive at big box discount stores like Walmart than they are at pet stores.

Sure,are. That's the route I went back in '09, I think it was, on Oahu when I was able to join in the fun of the Papio Open. They fit well using the clips on Boogies loaned Cobra. I actually used the elastic hook keepers that slide over rods for the,rod connection. 
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I realize that this thread is about a year old, but it looks like Penn is releasing a low profile reel in October of this year that boasts a 43" retrieve; currently priced around 180 USD.

https://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-baitcast-reels-low-profile-penn-squall/squall-low-profile-reel/1524830.html

Hey, thanks,for posting that link. I believe you've just solved a gear problem for me.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

anything