Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 09:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Kayak Electrical Systems  (Read 3758 times)

Clay

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
There is a nice thread going on about battery selection here:  http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=21341.0 so I won't go into battery selection here. 

After you have your battery of choice, how would you rig the rest of your boat for modern electronics today?

I know that some just want to hook up a nice battery to a fish locator, but what if you want MORE? 

Things that could be rigged:
   Fish Finder
   360 light
   Deck lights
   Exterior lights
   PowerPole
   USB connections for electronics including GoPro connections
   Bilge pump
   Horn

I don't plan on putting all of that on my boat, but those are just some of my first thoughts on what are some of the possibilities.

I see that there are kayak ready, plug-n-play systems out there by YakPower which include a 5 switch model and a new 8 switch model.  Then there is the more labor intensive option of buying your own electrical panel and running the wires .

So how have you rigged your boat?
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Clay

• Herring
There are a lot of boats out there in this wide hobby.  Some like a Kevlar wrapped torpedo and others like boats more like a Hobie PA or a Native Slayer / Titian or a Jackson Big Rig.  This project will go on a PA14, I have another lighter weight kayak when weight is the primary order of the day. 

I currently have a micro PowerPole for inshore fishing but want to do some offshore stuff (Think Lake Michigan salmon fishing and not the ocean) so in addition to the manual bilge on board, I am considering installing an electric bilge pump.  Even Hobie PA14 can get swamped under some quick nasty conditions.  A directly connected 12V 360 light like the Berley Pro Orb is part of the safety gear.  I don't want batteries dying on the light and I also like that it is higher for more visibility in the bigger swells. 

I think that I have narrowed down the battery to a light weight Lithium type battery so I am keeping the weight down compared to other power sources. 

Those who choose to wire their boat, which type of controller for the switch did you or would you prefer?  I've been considering the YakPower stuff vs. a marine switching panel like this? 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat-5-Gang-Electrical-LED-Rocker-Switch-Panel-USB-Circuit-Breaker-12V-DC/332773979493?hash=item4d7adff565:g:T3gAAOSwhjNbWzWi
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

AKRider

• Lingcod
  • Let's FISH Southcentral AK!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I like the concept of the Yak-Power sealed relay system and the waterproof selector on/off panel, but not the Anderson power-pole type connections for the thru-hull connection.   Note - my worry is that I fish saltwater 99% of the time, and those connections may not hold up with the amount of salt spray I normally see.

For your freshwater use they might work really well.... and either way the sealed system looks like it would be better than the other product you linked.   Sorry to say I dont have direct experience with Yak-Power, but I like their concept well enough that I might try their switching system and just put better quality IP68 rated through-hull fittings for my above deck/rail mounted equipment or later add-ons.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your power plans !
AKRider

Disclaimer - 'Online fishing advice is worth every penny you pay for it'

Clay

• Herring
I like the concept of the Yak-Power sealed relay system and the waterproof selector on/off panel, but not the Anderson power-pole type connections for the thru-hull connection.   Note - my worry is that I fish saltwater 99% of the time, and those connections may not hold up with the amount of salt spray I normally see.

For your freshwater use they might work really well.... and either way the sealed system looks like it would be better than the other product you linked.   Sorry to say I dont have direct experience with Yak-Power, but I like their concept well enough that I might try their switching system and just put better quality IP68 rated through-hull fittings for my above deck/rail mounted equipment or later add-ons.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your power plans !

Have any links to these? 

AKRider

• Lingcod
  • Let's FISH Southcentral AK!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I had been using Bulgin brand fittings on my power box and bulkhead, then they doubled in price and Allied discontinued them.    I also used Switchcraft EN3P2F16X type as well, they are rather small two conductor panel mount waterproof connectors with gold plated contacts - they have held up well, (see picture) but you have to be handy with a soldering iron for the inside connections... and you have to buy the plugs and caps separately (allied electronics has them)   https://www.alliedelec.com/product/switchcraft/en3p2f16x/70214360/

From AMZN These look OK, perhaps a bit beefier, and have been meaning to try them.   Generally I like the threaded-cap sealed bulkhead connectors style when I can place them where they wont tangle with my lines.   

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Connector-socket-connectors-electrical-connectors/dp/B01HGHP3II

It’s a world of trade-offs - the cap style can protrude more than the power-pole rubber plug.   So it matters where you place them.  If I was fresh-water yakker I’d stick to the ‘nearly flush’ power poles and put some silicone o-ring grease on the rubber caps to keep unused connections clean and help keep saltwater from the connections.  You can get a big tube of silicone gasket grease for less than the cost of the nicer bulkhead fittings.

AKRider

Disclaimer - 'Online fishing advice is worth every penny you pay for it'

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
There is a nice thread going on about battery selection here:  http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=21341.0 so I won't go into battery selection here. 

After you have your battery of choice, how would you rig the rest of your boat for modern electronics today?

I know that some just want to hook up a nice battery to a fish locator, but what if you want MORE? 

Things that could be rigged:
   Fish Finder
   360 light
   Deck lights
   Exterior lights
   PowerPole
   USB connections for electronics including GoPro connections
   Bilge pump
   Horn

I don't plan on putting all of that on my boat, but those are just some of my first thoughts on what are some of the possibilities.

I see that there are kayak ready, plug-n-play systems out there by YakPower which include a 5 switch model and a new 8 switch model.  Then there is the more labor intensive option of buying your own electrical panel and running the wires .

So how have you rigged your boat?

If you are in Portland, check out West Coast Kayak.  I was in there a couple Fridays ago and they were pimping out a kayak with lights and other stuff and had some sweet through hull connectors.  I never knew I needed cool stuff on my kayak until I saw the cool stuff on that kayak. It was beautiful and cleanly done. 

*edit* I believe the stuff was by Yak Power. So, you may have already seen it all.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:51:48 PM by craig »

• Date Registered: Dec 2018
This is the aforementioned Pro Angler that Craig was talking about. All YakPower, they make the cleanest systems on the market hands down. I’ve rigged a few Hobies with YakPower systems lately and everyone’s been very happy with how they’ve turned out.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:10:00 PM by pescadodiablo »

Clay

• Herring
I like the switch by YakPower, but not convinced about their wiring connections yet. 

I do like how FPV-Power is connecting the cables with a plug and play system.  Until FPV power comes up with their own switch or YakPower upgrades the actual connections, a combination of the two systems might be appropriate.

Check out the FPV Power connections here:

Note:  I'm just a consumer, I have no connection financially to any of these companies.  It is a bigger undertaking than many realize.  If you want to see a full blown system install check out Tim Percy's video:

Clay

• Herring
That second video in the above thread showed some connections to the battery itself, but this is the video that I should have linked to when it is connected to a YakPower system, enjoy.

pescadodiablo, thanks for sharing the nice photos of the YakPower boat, looks like a dream.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:16:45 AM by Clay »

Clay

• Herring
After a couple of months of research I decided to go with the FPV-Power system connected to the new 8 circuit YakPower controller through Mariner Sail in TX.  I really liked the BerleyPro battery mounting option in the rear hatch of the PA.  I'm starting with one 17.5 Ah battery but this mount allows me to add a second battery if I ever need it.

Planning on the following wiring: 
Battery to inline 3A fuse by FPV
Splitting the power after the fuse, one wire running the 8 circuit switch and the other lead going to the voltage regulator connected directly to the FF.
The 8 circuit switch will control USB connectors for all day power on the GoPros, BerleyPro Orb (360 light), micro power pole and front deck lights.  I'll have room to grow if I need more power connections.

It's one thing to buy it all - let's see how long it takes me to get it all wired.  Thanks for all of the help everyone.