Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:03:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: ORC 2019  (Read 14148 times)

jamesmarsh

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Awesome.  Signed up just now.  Now I gotta call Chinook Bend and get that paid for.  Then all that's left is to show up and fish!!
Will trade oral favors for fish.

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I also signed up this afternoon. It will be my first ORC, so I am pretty excited about it!

Mac Attack

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Just got signed up all ready to go have my camp site already at Chinook Bend. 

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Signed up. I noticed on the FB page that the rules are back to "single biggest fish". Is that by weight or by length?

I really liked the multi-species format from 2017, but I'll do whatever.
aMayesing Bros.

Clayman

• Salmon
Also, regarding the "fishing area" map: the bell buoy washed away last winter. I don't think CG plans on replacing it before July 13th. The western edge of the "no fishing" zone is going to be a guessing game.
aMayesing Bros.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Signed up. I noticed on the FB page that the rules are back to "single biggest fish". Is that by weight or by length?

It's biggest by weight.  Just trying to keep it simple this year. 

Also, regarding the "fishing area" map: the bell buoy washed away last winter. I don't think CG plans on replacing it before July 13th. The western edge of the "no fishing" zone is going to be a guessing game.

Thanks for the update on the bell buoy.    Maybe we'll have a rough depth and/or distance from shore limit or something.    Just want to keep everyone fairly close in for safety reasons.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Clayman

• Salmon
Single biggest by weight. Copy that, thanks Brian.

Regarding the "no fishing" area, the bell buoy was about 0.6 miles west of the Hwy 101 bridge over the Hole and lined up pretty well in a westerly line straight out to the whistle buoy, which is still out there. Could try to phrase the 'no fishing' zone as something like "no fishing within half mile of the Hole when in line between the Hole and the whistle buoy" so as to reduce the odds of kayaks getting in the way of transiting boats.
aMayesing Bros.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
FYI.. I just added the ORC PayPal link to the forum.  It should be visible on the bottom of the left hand side column on every page (at least on the desktop version of the site).

Note... our main sponsor American Kayak Supply is handling the PayPal this year, so don't be surprised when that name shows up on the PayPal instead of myself or NWKA as in past years.

Brian
For any of you who may dislike PayPal, I called AKS & registered with them directly. Got the phone # from their website:  https://americankayaksupply.com/

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I am registered and looking forward to another great event.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
+1

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Regarding the "no fishing" area, the bell buoy was about 0.6 miles west of the Hwy 101 bridge over the Hole and lined up pretty well in a westerly line straight out to the whistle buoy, which is still out there. Could try to phrase the 'no fishing' zone as something like "no fishing within half mile of the Hole when in line between the Hole and the whistle buoy" so as to reduce the odds of kayaks getting in the way of transiting boats.
More space might help keep people from fishing the red zone. If possible, I'd like to see that north boundary extended to Rabbit Rock.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
More space might help keep people from fishing the red zone. If possible, I'd like to see that north boundary extended to Rabbit Rock.

We're working on that, but it might also mean moving the south boundary up a bit as well.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Clayman

• Salmon
That'd be pretty cool. Extending to Rabbit Rock would open up a ton of additional reef off Government Point.
aMayesing Bros.

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Is the boundary restriction based off distance from the hole, square miles, or something totally different? Just eyeballing the photo it seems like the boundary is quite a ways west of the reef. Would bringing that boundary inward make more room to go north? It doesn’t make since to take away from the southern boundary so people could potentially travel even farther from launch in another direction. Not that it wouldn’t be totally awesome for the north boundary to go all the way to Rabbit Rock. Just curious what the thought behind that is.

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Is the boundary restriction based off distance from the hole, square miles, or something totally different? Just eyeballing the photo it seems like the boundary is quite a ways west of the reef. Would bringing that boundary inward make more room to go north? It doesn’t make since to take away from the southern boundary so people could potentially travel even farther from launch in another direction. Not that it wouldn’t be totally awesome for the north boundary to go all the way to Rabbit Rock. Just curious what the thought behind that is.
Imo, the reef off GP is better fishing than the one just north of Whale Cove. I gets better south of WC, but that's getting pretty far from the DB launch.

What about an secondary launch point from Fogarty Beach, which would take some traffic pressure off DB boat launch & the red zone? Launch from Fogarty, return Depoe Bay.

anything