Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 12 volt power supplies  (Read 15039 times)

EOB

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
My T13A is a retail unit with the transducer scupper, and no battery bag.

May want to ask some questions as it is actually a nice feature and it is sized for the 12v 8amp battery pictured above.

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Mine is also retail and didn't come a battery bag. Got mine from austinkayak.com. Going to email them now and see what happens.
Chris

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I also got my T13A from Austin Kayak and I received a response to my battery bag inquiry.  Here is their response:

"I apologize that you did not receive your battery bag! Unfortunately
Ocean Kayak missed a few battery bags from one of our shipments of
kayaks. We do have the bags on order and as soon as we receive them, we will ship one out to you. Again my apologies for the inconvenience."

EOBasser, thanks for the suggestion to ask.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:14:37 AM by demonick »
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Looks like you fixed that problem of where to put your batteries.  Good deal! 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I emailed them and got the exact same response. Good customer service from them!
Chris

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
If you bought your Ocean Kayak from Austin Canoe and Kayak (ACK) and did not receive a battery bag, you might want to check with them on the status of the bags.  I emailed them this morning and coincidentally the bags just arrived yesterday.

"We received the battery bags yesterday afternoon and we are sending one
out to you today. You should receive your tracking information shortly."
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

OtisPBody

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
I just bought and installed the dual battery FPV-Power set up with the batarangbro kit from Berleypro. Installs like an OEM option on my pro angler 14. Distribution hub mounted to a sailing mast bracket and remote key fob. Power for days.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
This thread is so old it farts dust. Sweet old AMB that started it has been dead at least 4 or 5 years now.

I don't know if OK ever changed the design of those battery bags but the first one I had the zipper rusted shut on about the 2nd splash with salt water.

Save yourself the bullshit. Get a harbor freight pelican case knockoff. Spend $5 at Napa on a 2 prong trailer plug, an inline fuse and some heat shrink tubing. Get a water tight pass through for a couple more bucks at a marine store. Makes it easy to carry and easy to charge.

I'm still fishing the same 9.5ah SLA I bought 10 years ago and it still goes all weekend. I hadn't even had eyes directly on that battery in years until a couple weeks ago when I got tired of scratching the "patina" off the 2 prong and replaced it. And now I have the other half of the plug to replace the FF side when it rots for $2.

Absolutely no offense to any current or potential site/tournament sponsors, but why anyone would pay 2-3x for lithium to save 1.5lbs is beyond me?

I've probably spent 2x as much cash on swivels in decade than I have on my battery setup, and HF wasn't even selling their knockoffs back then. I bought an actual pelican case at fry's.

There's plenty of things worth over thinking in this pursuit. Basic power supplies is not one of them.

Still miss Allen. His name came up between PNW and I at SB last month and sometimes I wonder where the time goes? :dontknow:
:wave:

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I also went with the Harbor Freight small case knockoff to be a portable power source, but I utilize Dewalt batteries which I have on hand rather than buying a one use battery.

Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Cackalacky

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Sort of related. If you've got the hobie charger/battery setup (Next Adventure had a cheap power pole setup that had apparently been sitting around forever so I went that route). I actually really like the plastic  snap in battery holder. Simple and nothing to rust. Rather than paying hobie 75$ for a 9ah replacement/spare battery, or waiting until they're actually in stock here are some amazon links for the connections:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0160G7KF0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and a battery:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0784TSFQJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_I5KyFbW0GTM4S

I'm sure you could find the connections cheaper somewhere, $28 seems ridiculous to me, but it was cheaper than buying a battery from hobie and now I have some spare connections.  I just got tired of looking for cheaper waterproof connectors. 

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Sort of related. If you've got the hobie charger/battery setup (Next Adventure had a cheap power pole setup that had apparently been sitting around forever so I went that route). I actually really like the plastic  snap in battery holder. Simple and nothing to rust. Rather than paying hobie 75$ for a 9ah replacement/spare battery, or waiting until they're actually in stock here are some amazon links for the connections:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0160G7KF0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and a battery:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0784TSFQJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_I5KyFbW0GTM4S

I'm sure you could find the connections cheaper somewhere, $28 seems ridiculous to me, but it was cheaper than buying a battery from hobie and now I have some spare connections.  I just got tired of looking for cheaper waterproof connectors.

Pig tail connectors have been working great for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1X5RLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

b0w_bender

• Herring
  • Pat Moore - in Issaquah Wa.
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
What I have found that works really good are batteries from a power tool. Most of us already have one on hand and they are easy to keep charged. Just pop it in your tool charger when you get home and you are already to go the next time you want to go fishing.  Now make sure you read the manual of your fish finder to identify the voltage range it will accept. Most are perfectly happy with 12-20v so make sure your tools are within the acceptable voltage range. Caution, I noticed that my 18v batteries when fully charged put out 19.5V so don't trust the silly numbers on the side of the battery use a meter just to be safe.

Now don't forget to put the battery back in the kayak when you are loading up because it would really suck to be 200 yards from the boat launch when you realize your fish finder isn't powering up. Not that I would personally have any experience like that but I have heard it is a problem from others...

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:38:22 PM by b0w_bender »
"Experience" is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. 
If you teach a kid to Shoot or fish you will be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles.

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I never considered using a power tool battery to power kayak gear. Can someone please provide a picture of the adapter used to connect such a battery to a fish finder? What is that part called, and can it power a small trolling motor? Thanks in advance!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

b0w_bender

• Herring
  • Pat Moore - in Issaquah Wa.
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
it would power a small trolling motor not sure how long it would last. The OP was asking about a fish finder and those will run all day on a tool battery. I just used your standard slide on clips to connect to mine. I use one of the batteries I posted above.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-16-Count-Disconnects-Wire-Connectors/999953182?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-elc-_-google-_-lia-_-106-_-electricalaccessories-_-999953182-_-0&placeholder=null&&ds_a_cid=112741100&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaUxLYIHhLzigRMn9Pt24u9CDB4NtnTG6C9wu-tGmfDKbdBL_AsCGpQaAjsIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
"Experience" is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. 
If you teach a kid to Shoot or fish you will be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
What I have found that works really good are batteries from a power tool. Most of us already have one on hand and they are easy to keep charged. Just pop it in your tool charger when you get home and you are already to go the next time you want to go fishing.  Now make sure you read the manual of your fish finder to identify the voltage range it will accept. Most are perfectly happy with 12-20v so make sure your tools are within the acceptable voltage range. Caution, I noticed that my 18v batteries when fully charged put out 19.5V so don't trust the silly numbers on the side of the battery use a meter just to be safe.

Now don't forget to put the battery back in the kayak when you are loading up because it would really suck to be 200 yards from the boat launch when you realize your fish finder isn't powering up. Not that I would personally have any experience like that but I have heard it is a problem from others...

These batteries typically have lower AH's than the SLA motorcycle batteries a lot of us use. If you're running a large fish finder and spend a lot of time continuously on the water probably not the best choice, but fine if you just want to fish for a few hours after work.