Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Cheap(er) Plug in Cart for Hobie Outback  (Read 3733 times)

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Today I just blew out my second home-made PVC plug in cart that I built for my Hobie Outback and had to hoof my boat on my head about 50 yards uphill.  I really don't want to do that again.

Anyone have any good recommendations on stronger home made carts (not PVC) or cheap(er) manufactured carts?  I saw a nice looking plug in cart from Seattle Sports on Amazon for about $110, but it didn't get great reviews, and that price still seems really high for three pieces of tube and two wheels.  There was a similar cart likely produced from the same company available from West Marine.  Would really like to avoid paying $200 for a Hobie brand cart - that price is just crazy. 

Thanks in advance!

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Copper water pipes instead of pvc!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Ask INSAYN.  He built the best DIY scupper cart I've yet seen and I think he may still be using it.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I would say just pay out the $200 for the Hobie cart which is solid built and with good sand tires and consider it a cost of doing business. It was hard for me to pay out that much but I have no regrets.

bosun52

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
A jogging stroller makes a great cart. 12" bicycle wheels. 1st one, no cutting, just drill a few rivets and reconfigure. Currently working on strap-on model for canoe.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have been rocking the same PVC cart since 2010 when I purchased my first Hobie. 
The first trick is to use Sched 80 (gray) PVC.
The second trick is to use a spade bit and hog out the crossbar "T's" so your vertical legs can go straight through them from the axle "T" to the scupper hole.  Then pin it from moving with a snap safety pin. Do this on both legs.

By doing it this way, you don't glue the crossbar "T's" in the middle of the vertical legs.  Thus, no breaky! 

Pro tip:  Take your time to get the safety pin holes perfectly square, straight and just the right sized hole for the pin to fit snug.  If you do this, you can install either leg into either "T", in any direction.  If you have to open the hole to take out any misalignment, the cart can get sloppy.  The beauty of this cart allows you to break it down and put the whole thing inside the kayak.  Shy of the wheels, everything will fit in an old camp chair bag. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:09:36 AM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I have abused the snot out of this cart and never had an issue with it.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
All,

Thanks so much for the feedback. INSAYN's idea of the SCH80 PVC is a great one. Both of my breaks in the SCH40 model have been at the tee. The idea of passing the pipes straight through is genius. This will reinforce the joint and distribute the bending moment throughout the vertical pipe instead of concentrating it all into the glued joint. Can you tell I'm an engineer? ;)

I'll buy the parts and reuse what didn't get thrown away from the 1.0 SCH 40 version and post some photos... might be a week or two.

Thanks to all!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:51:31 PM by Larry_MayII_HR »

Anthrobe

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
I have been rocking the same PVC cart since 2010 when I purchased my first Hobie. 
The second trick is to use a spade bit and hog out the crossbar "T's" so your vertical legs can go straight through them from the axle "T" to the scupper hole.  Then pin it from moving with a snap safety pin. Do this on both legs.

By doing it this way, you don't glue the crossbar "T's" in the middle of the vertical legs.  Thus, no breaky! 

Pro tip:  Take your time to get the safety pin holes perfectly square, straight and just the right sized hole for the pin to fit snug.  If you do this, you can install either leg into either "T", in any direction.  If you have to open the hole to take out any misalignment, the cart can get sloppy.  The beauty of this cart allows you to break it down and put the whole thing inside the kayak.  Shy of the wheels, everything will fit in an old camp chair bag.

Just picked up a Perception Pilot and had to haul it by hand on the maiden voyage.  Not doing that again.  My wife is rocking a 2013 Hobie Revolution 11 and has the Hobie Cart for it.  Thanks for sharing your home built cart.  I was going to make out of regular PVC but will switch my plan based upon this, my plans have changed.  I am still debating on just bending some metal electrical conduit to copy the Hobie cart.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Just picked up a Perception Pilot and had to haul it by hand on the maiden voyage.  Not doing that again.  My wife is rocking a 2013 Hobie Revolution 11 and has the Hobie Cart for it.  Thanks for sharing your home built cart.  I was going to make out of regular PVC but will switch my plan based upon this, my plans have changed.  I am still debating on just bending some metal electrical conduit to copy the Hobie cart.

Conduit will work, but it will rust in a heartbeat if you get it salty.  PVC, with an aluminum axle, won't do diddly in the salt.  :icon_thumleft:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
All,

Thanks so much for the feedback. INSAYN's idea of the SCH80 PVC is a great one. Both of my breaks in the SCH40 model have been at the tee. The idea of passing the pipes straight through is genius. This will reinforce the joint and distribute the bending moment throughout the vertical pipe instead of concentrating it all into the glued joint. Can you tell I'm an engineer? ;)

I'll buy the parts and reuse what didn't get thrown away from the 1.0 SCH 40 version and post some photos... might be a week or two.

Thanks to all!

Glad I could help, bud. 

Can you tell I am NOT an engineer?  8)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
All,

Thanks to all!

Glad I could help, bud. 

Can you tell I am NOT an engineer?  8)
Engineers drive trains..... aren’t you the crazy train engineer?

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Clay

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Love me some solid DIY stuff, but my vote went toward a Boonedox Landing Gear.  Crazy easy to deploy and just sweet.  A small amount of install time turned into the best system that I have ever used.  I pedal a PA 14.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I made a similar one as Insayn, but it was the Saturday afternon before my departure for a trip where I needed a cart.  I did not have time to go get the Schedule 80 so I made mine out of leftover electrical conduit I had laying around from a kayak rack I had made and welded the parts together. The axle is 1" gas pipe that was part of a 6 foot bar clamp.  I had plenty of long clamps and was in a hurry so I cut about 3 feet off.  I made some washers out of HDPE (self lubricating plastic) on my CNC machine and collars were 3D printed to hold the wheels on and so they would not rub on the cart frame. It works great, but is a little heavy.  I will make a permanent one like Insayn's sometime in the future. I believe his design and choice of materials is the best way to go, especially for someone with limited access to tools. 

printed collars - outer collars are printed with a #10-24 thread for stainless machine screws.

collar holding wheel on

Finished product has so far held up to nearly a mile of soft sugar sand (better than I have). 

Also, Wobbler makes carts from copper pipe.  He made me one several years ago and it is still going strong. It only had an axle long enough for Harbor Freight wheels though which is why I made mine out of the emt conduit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:02:45 AM by craig »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon