Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Which Hobie to get... Outback? PA12? PA14?  (Read 8609 times)

• Date Registered: Jul 2019
Not sure where you're located Jason, but if you want to hop in some of the Hobies in our demo pool at the shop I'd be happy to walk through them with you and find the one that you're most comfortable with. I've owned a PA12, 14, and Outback and can share all the ins and outs with you, and we can do some loading on and off your rig to make sure you're comfortable with that part as well!

Thanks. Where's the shop? I'm in the Beaverton/Tigard area but starting a new job in SE next week.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated.

I hadn't considered the portage situation, and you can't always count on the boonedox or the hobie cart to get you through everything so that's definitely something to consider.

I will definitely try them out first and <gasp> it might just come down to me NOT getting the 360 drive, despite my *need* for the latest and greatest(?).

I'm a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy. I don't like to purchase something then replace it again so soon after. My wife HATES both of those options, however.

Zach, are you going out again soon? I'm just curious why you've got them topped right now... Maybe that's a stupid question, seeing as how often you do get out. =)

• Date Registered: Dec 2018
Not sure where you're located Jason, but if you want to hop in some of the Hobies in our demo pool at the shop I'd be happy to walk through them with you and find the one that you're most comfortable with. I've owned a PA12, 14, and Outback and can share all the ins and outs with you, and we can do some loading on and off your rig to make sure you're comfortable with that part as well!

Thanks. Where's the shop? I'm in the Beaverton/Tigard area but starting a new job in SE next week.

American Kayak Supply on Columbia Blvd. A bit of a drive from Southeast, but we've got everything you're wanting to look at here   8)
709 N Columbia Blvd
Portland, OR

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated.

I hadn't considered the portage situation, and you can't always count on the boonedox or the hobie cart to get you through everything so that's definitely something to consider.

I will definitely try them out first and <gasp> it might just come down to me NOT getting the 360 drive, despite my *need* for the latest and greatest(?).

I'm a "buy once, cry once" kind of guy. I don't like to purchase something then replace it again so soon after. My wife HATES both of those options, however.

Zach, are you going out again soon? I'm just curious why you've got them topped right now... Maybe that's a stupid question, seeing as how often you do get out. =)

I am sure you could buy a hobie outback and always upgrade the drive at a later point.  I think they will expand the features and make them work on older models. 

I have mine cartopped now as i just got back from camping.  I would have them on the truck bed extender but cant do the camper trailer and that.  I try to fish often and am hoping for this weekend- but the ocean looks a bit bumpy so we will see.

I would highly reccomend heading down to American Kayak Supply when you do choose as they are a great shop.
If you are considering trolling a lot for salmon or fishing heavy currents I would consider the outback.

I own an outback and a revo. I leave the outback at home unless there is a guest. I enjoy the speed of the revo and what it has to offer. But if the revo is totally a no then I would go for the outback. Each time I see an outback I wonder why not just a boat lol. Also they are heavy and slow in current. They do look badass tho but The thought of them in the ocean or dragging them up the ramp or beach makes me tired haha.

We live close and I would be happy to show you both models. I even have them on the roof of my car now lol
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
my advice, don't overthink it, just get a new Outback and start loading the freezer with fish... ;D
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Well, try the Outback first, then buy it.  Always take a free ride whenever you can.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I am sure you could buy a hobie outback and always upgrade the drive at a later point.  I think they will expand the features and make them work on older models. 

I'm doubtful in the extreme. I mean, the drive well is different to provide the steering pinion/rack.

I think we WILL see a new Outback a year or two out with the new drive well.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
my advice, don't overthink it, just get a new Outback and start loading the freezer with fish... ;D

Yup!  What he said.

I can tell you this, if I only owned a PA 14, I would only have 1/3 the weight (or less) of salmon fillets in my freezer so far.  The last 26 pounds of fillets came from conditions I would never have even considered launching in with a PA.  Well, technically none of my fish would have been caught with a PA because it is a boat, not a kayak and the last thing I want to do is paddle two to three miles back to the beach in a strong ocean current in a boat if the drive breaks - and it has happened to me.  When I was in Mexico a few years ago, there were a couple days where my knees were so sore, I chose to paddle my Hobie the last few miles just to give my knees a break.  But, it was a Revo so it was easy. I have never tried padling the new Outback.  The older model is a barge, but doable. If I remember right, in my first Outback I had to paddle three strokes on the right for every stroke on the left for some reason (aka design flaw). 

Anybody else here beside me wish they had an Ocean Kayak whenever they end up having to paddle their Hobie?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:07:43 PM by craig »

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I fly fish quite a bit out of my Hobie for SRC and coho and have been jigging for chinook and trolling also.  I have not had the drive break yet but it is not comfortable to paddle.
It is incredible to fish for these reasons....I can eat and drink beer while trolling (big plus!)
    While casting toward shore, I can have both hands free to cast and yet with the drive in reverse, I can pretty easily work a drift a consistent distance from the beach.
    I can peddle for hours...and I mean hours.  I get tired, but its doable.  I tend to troll for a while, then switch to jigging for a little while to rest.
    I feel comfortable out at Neah Bay and Sekiu for salmon and rockfish.
    At first the peddles were a total pain in the ass as far as getting my fly line tangled around, but I've learned how to strip to the side and/or onto my lap so that tangling hasn't been a problem lately.
    I would not stand unless on a glass smooth lake...it's just too stressful for me.  I can cast just fine sitting.
    I rinse off the drive really well after each use and examine all the cables and nuts carefully. 
    Considering setting up a small downrigger!
I really enjoy that kayak!
No matter what you choose...a kayak opens up so much water and so many different fisheries.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

I'm doubtful in the extreme. I mean, the drive well is different to provide the steering pinion/rack.

360 drive and steering system cannot be added to existing boats.  The Kick-Up fins however can be added to the new non-360 drives easily.  The only reason that I can think of for Hobie not offering a Kick-Up fin upgrade for existing drives would be that they are tired to taking our money.  ;D

I do not expect them to invest in a tooling change for the Outback for several years, they invested big in the new design and my opinion of how they did is well documented. 

On the other hand, the Revo design is overdue for an update....I am going to be shocked if the big ICAST announcement next July is not a smoking hot new Revo, perhaps with a 360 Revo version....

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

360 drive and steering system cannot be added to existing boats.  The Kick-Up fins however can be added to the new non-360 drives easily.  The only reason that I can think of for Hobie not offering a Kick-Up fin upgrade for existing drives would be that they are tired to taking our money.  ;D

I do not expect them to invest in a tooling change for the Outback for several years, they invested big in the new design and my opinion of how they did is well documented. 

On the other hand, the Revo design is overdue for an update....I am going to be shocked if the big ICAST announcement next July is not a smoking hot new Revo, perhaps with a 360 Revo version....

If they could update the Revo with an Ocean Kayak style hull, that would be the best upgrade by far! 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

I think the 360 degrees is a bit of a joke but i mostly fish oceans and large rivers so it may be my style of fishing.  However, the kick up fins are a nice improvement.  Something i would like to add!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015

I think the 360 degrees is a bit of a joke but i mostly fish oceans and large rivers so it may be my style of fishing.  However, the kick up fins are a nice improvement.  Something i would like to add!

I have yet to feel a compelling need for the 180, so I am decidedly meh about 360. Maybe if I tried either I would experience an epiphany.

What I have seen on the fins is it only kicks up if it encounters an obstruction going forward. I hope thats not true, as you can be drifting due to wind or current, or the obstruction itself is in motion hitting from any direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

I have yet to feel a compelling need for the 180, so I am decidedly meh about 360. Maybe if I tried either I would experience an epiphany.

What I have seen on the fins is it only kicks up if it encounters an obstruction going forward. I hope thats not true, as you can be drifting due to wind or current, or the obstruction itself is in motion hitting from any direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They kick up in the direction of propulsion, including probably 45 degrees off that, and that's good enough for me.

Bend them the other ways it's your own fault for not having them against the hill.

I didn't think I wanted/needed a 180 drive, then I got mine and totally love it.  Doh.

I know I could get by without the 360, so might settle for the 180. I see the 360 being helpful for lake fishing.
As for being able to stand up on the yak, I'm thinking it would be good for sight fishing lakes/rivers as well as giving me an opportunity to stretch my legs if need be.
I'm going to try to get out to try the different models on Sunday. I'm going out kayak fishing in Hagg Lake on Friday, then kayaking with friends at Hagg Lake (again) on Saturday.