Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:42:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Vancouver Island trip 8/25-8/30  (Read 2294 times)

chumchum

• Rockfish
  • OK Prowler 13
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Hello all! I am and Oregonian planning a road trip up to Vancouver island the last week of August! I am familiar with fishing the ocean off my kayak for salmon and rock fish and would like to try my hand at Sockeye fishing. I am looking for any advice on what fishing license I will need, where I should focus my fishing effort, and if anyone wants to meet up and fish. My plan is to ferry over to Victoria from Port Angeles and tourist around a bit. Ive got no set places to be so where ever the fishing and or diving takes me is where I want to go. Any websites I should visit or advice on places to park my truck and sleep would also be appreciated!

Wes

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Hi Chumchum. You will need a Canadian tidal water fishing licence with a salmon stamp, cost is around $28 C for residents, I’m not sure how much more for non residents. Google for “DFO” and you can wade through our federal governments incredibly awkward Fisheries website to find the info you need. No sockeye can be kept but there are lots of spring salmon around. An easy place to fish in the Victoria area is Pedder Bay Marina, 45 minutes west of Victoria. Launch at the marina and then it’s about 1.5 miles out to the mouth of the bay where you can jig or troll along the south shore for springs or lings. Pm me closer to the date and we may be able to wet a line.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:50:34 AM by tsquared »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Hey Wes, I'm not experienced in the locations you've mentioned visiting but I can do my best to help. I second everything tsquared said, especially on the licensing. Also check the regulations by area and be aware of any area-specific restrictions. Just curious, would you still be prioritizing sockeye despite zero retention or would other fishing or diving be more important to you? I can probably offer some more specific help knowing your quarry and any touristy things you want to do during your trip. Oh, and are you sleeping/camping out of your truck? There are lots of free or inexpensive recreation sites around the province.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails

tsquared

• Lingcod
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211930526779104&set=a.1214737869151&type=3&eid=ARCpW0f9ocWtXfdCvxJu4-IvtAH3vp_VnA4w_gfQxXaZg2Qh3hRHEDh8YuTtOf1jfGNH3COUAge2YUrv
Here is some fish caught yesterday in Pedder Bay cutplugging. These guys stayed in the mouth of Pedder Bay as Juan de Fuca Strait was foggy and windy.

chumchum

• Rockfish
  • OK Prowler 13
Hey Wes, I'm not experienced in the locations you've mentioned visiting but I can do my best to help. I second everything tsquared said, especially on the licensing. Also check the regulations by area and be aware of any area-specific restrictions. Just curious, would you still be prioritizing sockeye despite zero retention or would other fishing or diving be more important to you? I can probably offer some more specific help knowing your quarry and any touristy things you want to do during your trip. Oh, and are you sleeping/camping out of your truck? There are lots of free or inexpensive recreation sites around the province.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails

Im good with what ever is available! I would like to catch and eat a sockeye but due to the closure ill focus on other salmonids and fish species. my plan is to mainly camp out of my truck. Ill be bringing my dog so any dog friendly hike recommendations would be awesome as well.

Wes

chumchum

• Rockfish
  • OK Prowler 13
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211930526779104&set=a.1214737869151&type=3&eid=ARCpW0f9ocWtXfdCvxJu4-IvtAH3vp_VnA4w_gfQxXaZg2Qh3hRHEDh8YuTtOf1jfGNH3COUAge2YUrv
Here is some fish caught yesterday in Pedder Bay cutplugging. These guys stayed in the mouth of Pedder Bay as Juan de Fuca Strait was foggy and windy.

Thanks! Those are some great looking fish! Chinook would be good to target as my local coastal population is down this year... And yeah its been fun navigating the DFO website for regs  :-\

chumchum

• Rockfish
  • OK Prowler 13
Hit the Moutcha Bay tournament on the 31st and 1st.

https://www.nootkamarineadventures.com/events/kayak-fishing-derby/

-Allen

If I didn't have to be in Bellingham on the 1st i would totally fish that!

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Make sure to get a rabies vaccination certificate from your veterinarian. They won't let your dog in without one.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Hit the Moutcha Bay tournament on the 31st and 1st.

https://www.nootkamarineadventures.com/events/kayak-fishing-derby/

-Allen

If I didn't have to be in Bellingham on the 1st i would totally fish that!

Moutcha Bay should still be fishy during the time you are on island.

-Allen

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Actually it will probably be better. The reports I've heard are that the last few years have seen slow derbies and few fish around because they've already moved up the river by Labor Day weekend. YMMV of course.

tsquared

• Lingcod
You might consider trying Otter Point on Gordon’s Beach west of Sooke on Highway 14. It’s only an hour from Victoria and the spring fishing has been spectacular since it opened for retention on August 1st. You can only keep one a day but it has been incredible fishing. Here is a pic from the day before yesterday when I did a first light trip.
The tack is only 75 metres off the launch spot and you can figure out where to go from watching the power boaters.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:42:25 AM by tsquared »

chumchum

• Rockfish
  • OK Prowler 13
Wow! thats a great looking fish! I will definitely check that out! Is cut plug herring the go to for bait up there? Im planing to take the ferry over to Victoria Sunday afternoon and fish my way west from there. Do you have any plans to fish next week?

tsquared

• Lingcod
I’m busy Monday and Thursday but Tuesday or Wednesday might be doable. The go to bait up here is anchovy in a teaser head like you see in the picture. Another option that is “matching the hatch” of 3 to 4” herring that are present now is a little 3” green and gold herring spoon by AP Tackleworks here in Victoria. Here is a link https://www.aptackleworks.com/shop

: look at his 3 or 4” lemon lime herring spoon. I was out with my brother yesterday in our power boat at the same location and both of these fish came on that spoon.
I will pm you my home number. Give me a shout when you get to town.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:25:04 PM by tsquared »