Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:02:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Sunset Bay Angler of the Day 2019 Results  (Read 1923 times)

RescueEsther

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Attached are the official results for AOTD. Those that are not listed did not measure in fish. Thank you for your patience.

Esther  :)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
There were 50+ that fished, right?

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
There were 50+ that fished, right?

Yes that's right. There were quite a few that did not catch fish. :-\
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Thanks for tallying all that up Esther!

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Thank you for posting the results!! Lots of could've, would've, should've's with this tournament. Overall it was a great day on the water though.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks for taking the time to put that together! I think 35 out of 50 catching fish is pretty good. Hopefully the people who didn't catch can get some friendly pointers from those who did and do better next year.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Thanks for taking the time to put that together! I think 35 out of 50 catching fish is pretty good. Hopefully the people who didn't catch can get some friendly pointers from those who did and do better next year.

I'd blame the conditions, too. The water seemed a bit stirred up. I only fished about 3 1/2 hours and just caught one  fish. I've been there about a half dozen times now and would have expected better fishing. I went to Simpson a month ago in a boat and we got fast limits of blacks and the water was pretty clear that day.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

I'd blame the conditions, too. The water seemed a bit stirred up. I only fished about 3 1/2 hours and just caught one  fish. I've been there about a half dozen times now and would have expected better fishing. I went to Simpson a month ago in a boat and we got fast limits of blacks and the water was pretty clear that day.

I agree. I have never had as much trouble finding fish at Sunset as I did Saturday. It was a struggle at best for many of us.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Just for the record, I wasn't trying to say that people aren't good at fishing or something, I just meant hopefully it doesn't discourage them from coming back.

I have yet to have a fast action, lots of fish day at Sunset Bay / Simpson Reef, so to me it seemed about average.

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
Ill concede that it wasn't "lights-out" fishing that day. My only luck came from having fished it enough times now to have a few things figured out. My previous GPS locations paid off and some new (secret) bait/flavors have proved successful for me. The water clarity issue has mostly to do with the dredging they were doing in the bay. Going south to Simpson Reef was a good plan this year and that's where most of the fish were reportedly caught. What really tormented me was having caught SEVEN Cabezon that I had to throw back!
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Yeah, I just plain old don't know what to say about Sunset Bay. I didn't do very well last year(3 fish) my only goal this year was to do better than last year. I have never worked so hard to get skunked in what seemed to be pretty decent conditions.
I don't know if I will be back next year or not.

I have slayed a lot of fish at Depoe Bay the last couple of years, and I feel that I have picked up a lot of tips and tricks from others. It almost doesn't matter where you go. I went out twice with no fish finder and still caught fish. After finishing in 4th place at the ORC I felt pretty good for the AOTD.  Yes, I should have ignored the wind forecast and headed south. But other than that I don't really feel that I did anything terribly wrong, other than maybe wasting an hour trying for Salmon.

Ok, that is enough whining.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
I beat “Magic” Mike! I had lots of fun. Meeting new people! Some I’ve only chatted with on the internet and some new faces. Great job keeping everything organized! I may have to attend next year  ;D
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Yeah, I just plain old don't know what to say about Sunset Bay. I didn't do very well last year(3 fish) my only goal this year was to do better than last year. I have never worked so hard to get skunked in what seemed to be pretty decent conditions.
I don't know if I will be back next year or not.

I have slayed a lot of fish at Depoe Bay the last couple of years, and I feel that I have picked up a lot of tips and tricks from others. It almost doesn't matter where you go. I went out twice with no fish finder and still caught fish. After finishing in 4th place at the ORC I felt pretty good for the AOTD.  Yes, I should have ignored the wind forecast and headed south. But other than that I don't really feel that I did anything terribly wrong, other than maybe wasting an hour trying for Salmon.

Ok, that is enough whining.

Sunset Bay can be quite the challenge. In the last 6yrs I have been kayak fishing I have been in AOTD 4 times and this last time finally got fish worth even checking in.

I've fished Sunset more than anywhere else and it is usually great fishing of course up until tournament days. Don't let it disgruntle you. Take what you have learned and apply it to next year  :banjo:
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

anything