Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:02:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: AOTY prizes in 2020 and beyond  (Read 4014 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I am not going to be able to continue gathering donations for AOTY in 2020 and beyond. I am still fully committed to helping with user setup and payments and judging entries and general admin and all of that, I just don't have the time I need to do the prize solicitation justice.

If anyone would like to head this up please contact me. It is really best if one person is the central point of contact for donations so that people who are willing to donate don't get asked more than once or get different info from different sources.

As far as what it involves, I tried to spend a couple of hours a month reaching out to companies/people. You have to do a lot of follow-up because everyone is asking for free stuff for their event. Then at the end of the year you need to package up and send out the prizes. So far the shipping has been sponsored so your only investment is time.

We have a good relationship with Next Adventure as our premier sponsor. I can make introductions of course. I'll share my contact list and all that with whoever takes over and I'm even happy to help out as I have time as long as someone else is organizing it.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
When do you normally begin contacting the sponsors, Cap'n?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
It has varied by year but usually in February or March and then throughout the year as I have time.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Final bump.

As it stands right now there will be no sponsorship in 2020.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Keep bumping, Lauren.  I'm still on the fence about whether I want to take over - or go fishing.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Merz

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
If nobody wants to take over, one idea might be to take some of the entry fee money and make some nice plaques or trophies for the 1-3 places and maybe some other categories like biggest fish. Maybe try to get just a prize for first place from NA. Prizes are really fun, but a cool trophy you can look at the rest of your life is nice also. I have my plaque hanging on my wall from a few years ago when we were doing them.
-Evan
1st 2016 AOTY
1st 2018 SBAOTD
1st 2019 BCS
1st 2022 SBAOTD
1st 2023 BCS
1st 2023 OKBF Davis Lake Flying Kayak Open
1st 2023 SBAOTD

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
If nobody wants to take over, one idea might be to take some of the entry fee money and make some nice plaques or trophies for the 1-3 places and maybe some other categories like biggest fish. Maybe try to get just a prize for first place from NA. Prizes are really fun, but a cool trophy you can look at the rest of your life is nice also. I have my plaque hanging on my wall from a few years ago when we were doing them.

I've been thinking along similar lines. Appreciate the input!

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014

The ones for NCKA are really cool. A guy named Sean makes/commissions those for their AOTY and DOTY.

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

The ones for NCKA are really cool. A guy named Sean makes/commissions those for their AOTY and DOTY.

I also agree that the NCKA plaques are really really really cool. If that was a grand prize, I would for sure fish harder next year to try for one.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I also agree that the NCKA plaques are really really really cool. If that was a grand prize, I would for sure fish harder next year to try for one.

Just a reminder that starting this year we don't collect fees, so they'd have to be donated.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

Just a reminder that starting this year we don't collect fees, so they'd have to be donated.

How does that work?

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

How does that work?

Donations go directly to HOW, you send us a screenshot of your receipt. I'm pretty sure you did this since you are signed up  ;D

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

How does that work?

Donations go directly to HOW, you send us a screenshot of your receipt. I'm pretty sure you did this since you are signed up  ;D

That rings a bell.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I am super happy to announce that Drifter2007 has answered the call! Thank you for supporting HOW and helping shepherd AOTY into the roaring 20s!

Read more about AOTY 2020 here: https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=21901

anything