Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Going to Tofino in Aug - gear to take?  (Read 3313 times)

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
So, there’s this kayak fishing trip being organized by our local fly shop for next August, to Tofino. We get a mothership out to one of the islands for a few days of camping and fishing. From what I’ve read and watched on YouTube, could be salmon as well as a variety of other species, so naturally I started to spin gears on what gear to take along... 

Most of my stuff is relatively light spinning gear, one heavier trolling road.  Never been out after lingcod or done much bottom fishing or jigging, so any recommendations or thoughts welcomed. Gotta run at the moment but I can get more details about what I have tonight...

Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Hmm... is this trip available for anyone?....or just some members? If there is space left on this trip, I would be very interested in tagging along. Please PM me back with details.....even if it is full. I will respond to your PM with what i know about bottom fishing.... :laugh:

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
You might want to take a fly rod since it's a fly-fishing trip.  An 8wt should work fine for the salmon and rockfish.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Hmm... is this trip available for anyone?....or just some members? If there is space left on this trip, I would be very interested in tagging along. Please PM me back with details.....even if it is full. I will respond to your PM with what i know about bottom fishing.... :laugh:

http://gigharborflyshop.com/travel/tofinokayak/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=kids_fly_tying_fishing_report_plus_shop_presentation_youtube_live_tonight&utm_term=2019-12-03

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
I am not sure if it’s full up or not, but that’s the link to it...  Blake was talking a dozen or so spots, I believe.  Tinker, me and a fly rod would probably be comical, but not conducive to actual fishing...  :spittake:
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

uplandsandpiper

My wife and I kayak fished Bamfield last August for salmon and bottom fish.

I use a Shimano Trevala 7' ML jigging rod with a Tekota Reel spooled with 50 lb braid as a dual purpose jigging and salmon rod.

For bottomfish don't overthink it 2-5 oz jigs with big curly tail grubs or swimbaits and a dozen shrimp flies (for rockfish). We used Lancer jigs because we like to support them since they support the PNW kayak fishing community thru donation of products.

We brought flashers and hoochies or superbaits for salmon but we actually caught all of our King and Coho Salmon on Berkley Flicker Minnows size 9 and 11 with and blue and silver and black and silver producing all of our catches. We just flat lined them 60-100' behind the kayak it was easy. I do suggest changing out the stock hooks for something more robust.

Have fun!

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
You might want to take a fly rod since it's a fly-fishing trip.  An 8wt should work fine for the salmon and rockfish.

Fortunately, Blake is very gracious in letting us throw hardware at the fish instead of bugs, if we choose...  ;)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
What fly-shop is offering this trip?  Is it private or public--open for others to join?  I've wanted to go to this area and would like to hear more details and see if I could arrange something like this.  Thanks.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Click on the link Workhard provided in post #3.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Blake is a great guy and from what I've seen from him on the water a good kayak fishing guide. I trade information with him during the Chinook season. He may be a fly outfit but he definitely knows how to catch fish jigging and trolling from a kayak.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Click on the link Workhard provided in post #3.
  Totally missed the link earlier today....

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
Well, I went out to the garage and actually looked at what I have...  Aside from an old backpacking rod & reel, and a couple of basic lightweight spinning combos purchased for the wife and son to play with, I have:

• a Shimano TDR trolling rod (7', med-heavy, med-fast action) with a Cabelas Depthmaster III line counter reel, spooled with 50# braid
  • a Cabelas ProGuide/M6 rod (7'1", no markings on it otherwise), with a Pfleuger Summit30 spinning reel spooled with 30# braid
  • an old Shakespeare SturdyStik (4' med action) kid's rod with a Zebco 33 on it, 6# mono at present
  • an even older Wright-McGill Granger (8'6") with a Daiwa Sealine level-wind, spooled with 20# mono

I also have another Zebco 33 I am thinking about spooling up with 30 or 50# braid, having seen so many nice big fish taken with Barbie rods :)  I will definitely have to get some bigger jigs for the trip.  Biggest I have are 3/4 oz...  I suspect I will end up taking along the first 3 setups in the list, with fresh line spooled on all 3 (and the Zebco will be filled with at least 30# braid...).  Going to have to look into what I have for terminal gear, too.  Got a fair number of Point Wilson darts rigged, but other stuff - hmmm.

Gonna be fun, especially if any of y'all end up going too!

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Barbie rod is a must, 20-30 lbs braid, just remember to cup your hand over the top of the reel around the line so the fish don’t rip the reel out of its socket, plastic threads and all.

Get on line to lancer jigs and order some of Tony’s bigger tackle, it works plain and simple, I got lots of fish on them.

Then jump over to ProCure and get some of Phil’s fish catching smelly jellies (the thick stuff) paste it around the jig head.

Drop it down and bounce it of the rock, knock on that fat lincod’s front door..... then reel up, bleed out and repeat.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
Does the color of a jig make that much difference? Or is the shape and smell more important?