Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Almost here... Stealth Yak to arrive in Santa Rosa, CA today or tomorrow.  (Read 5892 times)

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Got the word from Ruben at Stealth USA, that my yak and 28 others is on its way from Houston to Santa Rosa, CA (Where Ruben is based out of). Once he gets everything unloaded and sorted out and we make shipping arrangements, "The Big Orange Crush," the "Triple Nickle," Fisha 555 will hopefully be here before the end of the month. Knock on wood. The attached images are from South Africa at the Stealth Factory.

US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Should be a lot of fun on the flats off Oyster Point in a few months, hell with a kayak like that San Bruno shoal might even be an option if the wind lays down enough. I pretty consistently caught halibut in the South Bay the last week of February. Warm years they'll be in there mid-February.

I spent a few years commerical fishing halibut in the Bay, really debating dragging the kayak on the 600 mile trip in May to fish on them.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I would seriously consider going to CA to pick it up in person. Less Than Truckload (LTL) carriers are notorious for damaging kayaks. It would be a shame for that beautiful kayak to come all that way and get smashed on the last leg of the journey. If you are transporting a truckload of kayaks the chances of damage is greatly reduced. When a single kayak is transported on a truck with mixed freight the odds of some machinery, a load of bricks, random heavy shit shifting and causing damage goes way up. The damage claims process is for carriers is slow and you probably won't be fully compensated. Plus you'll likely lose a full season of fishing by the time a replacement arrives from S.A.

If travel to CA is not an option choose your LTL carrier wisely. Additionally, don't skimp on the protective coverings. Wrap it in a couple layers of moving pads or bubble wrap and encase it in corrugated cardboard. Make sure it is labeled prominently and clearly (FRAGILE, NO FORKS, DO NOT CRUSH). Vacuum thermoformed plastic is much less forgiving than rotomolded hdpe.

It might be worth putting a post on NCKA and see if any of the brothers are heading north any time soon and have room to haul it.

The guys that work in the hubs don't give a shit. The more times it is unloaded, cross-docked, and reloaded onto a different truck the odds of damage increase significantly. Kayaks are the highest class (most expensive) of LTL freight and many carriers stopped accepting them due to their inability to deliver them in one piece/high claim rates.

Best of luck! Beautiful kayak.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
Thanks for the comments guys!  I am looking forward to getting it up here, and have debated going down to get it.
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Your kayak pics makes me feel like Ralphie in A Christmas Story looking at his fathers "Major Award".  That yak is pure hotness.  Please post some reports when you get it on the water.

uplandsandpiper

I am just curious what sets Stealth Kayaks apart from what is available in the domestic market?

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I am just curious what sets Stealth Kayaks apart from what is available in the domestic market?

About 50 lbs
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

Weight and speed.  It weighs 40 lbs less than my revo and is considerably faster.

uplandsandpiper

Weight and speed.  It weighs 40 lbs less than my revo and is considerably faster.

I would assume that weight reduction comes at the cost in durability?

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
does any domestic maker sell something that is this narrow in a sit on top?   Some of the ocean kayak seemed to be close (but have since gained width), but were still a bit wider.   The WS Tarpon are still 4 inches wider I think.    Seems like if you want to paddle and not pedal, especially in the ocean, not a lot of options that would be this efficient.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

It's a glass boat.  Not plastic. 

They were designed for surf launches and fishing in ocean conditions in South Africa similar to those here in the PNW.  Most recent vintage USA made boats are made for 250 lbs+ guys fishing bass.  This line of kayaks is decidedly not.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish

It's a glass boat.  Not plastic. 

Actually there are two flavors glass or carbon.

They were designed for surf launches and fishing in ocean conditions in South Africa similar to those here in the PNW.  Most recent vintage USA made boats are made for 250 lbs+ guys fishing bass.  This line of kayaks is decidedly not.
aka Kevin

Squidder_K

• Rockfish

I ordered mine in Carbon, so at 17 feet it will out perform many yaks, both in the parking lot to the water, and on the water. Something that could perform the role of Fishing, touring, and recreational yak.  Many of the fishing kayaks have become one dimensional.  I wanted a narrow, not fatter boat than what was out there. I wanted on a non roto molded kayak, something that could be used for surf launching or a standard launch.   As my criteria got longer the choices narrowed down quickly.  When Stealth Introduced the "triple nickel" aka 555, I knew it was what I was looking for. Some will say it is too expensive, others will gripe about it ten different ways to Sunday, I chose it, knowing it should be my last Kayak for quite some time.

On a personnel note, the US makers of fishing kayaks are building things that look mini battle ships, designed for Bass Fisherman and not all round usage IMHO.
aka Kevin

uplandsandpiper

I ordered mine in Carbon, so at 17 feet it will out perform many yaks, both in the parking lot to the water, and on the water. Something that could perform the role of Fishing, touring, and recreational yak.  Many of the fishing kayaks have become one dimensional.  I wanted a narrow, not fatter boat than what was out there. I wanted on a non roto molded kayak, something that could be used for surf launching or a standard launch.   As my criteria got longer the choices narrowed down quickly.  When Stealth Introduced the "triple nickel" aka 555, I knew it was what I was looking for. Some will say it is too expensive, others will gripe about it ten different ways to Sunday, I chose it, knowing it should be my last Kayak for quite some time.

On a personnel note, the US makers of fishing kayaks are building things that look mini battle ships, designed for Bass Fisherman and not all round usage IMHO.

Thanks for educating me. I was just genuinely interested in learning. I recently moved away from my Revo to a "battleship" style kayak purely because I spend 90% of my time fishing bass and trout in lakes not much bigger than a 100 acres. Its super comfy and I really have no need for speed anymore.

I hope you enjoy your new kayak. What do you think your top speed in kayak like that is?

• Date Registered: Dec 2018
The big thing with "speed" in kayaks is that it's not actually about how fast you can paddle the kayak; it means the hull cuts through the water more efficiently, which means you go farther with less effort & fatigue. Swell Watercraft designs their boats with a similar idea, Stealth just takes it to the next level by using composites instead of plastic. The other nice thing about these boats is that the lifetime of a fiberglass boats is basically infinite as long as you take care of them, and if they need repair they can be repaired to their full strength and original perfect form unlike polyethylene. Been a long time fan of Stealth, had a lot of buds in TX who paddled them offshore. Can't wait to see how it handles up here in the PNW!