Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:49:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:04:32 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: How old is your 'yak' ?  (Read 3132 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Wow, so long term ownership seems to be the trend.  Anyone have any regrets? 
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Only that I didn't get a kayak earlier!

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020

When you have something that works you keep it.  Besides, kayaks are expensive
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I've accumulated a fleet of five Tridents, three 11's and two 13's (The wife fishes , too). I still use my original T-11 most of the time which I bought new in 2011. It's the most beat up. The others were lightly used, various years.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I bought my ok 4.3 almost 5 years ago, and for certain have no regrets! I have used it a lot! I do you with spending the $$ to get a hobie. So much of the time the wind is blowing, or the tide is ripping and peddles would sure be nice!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Hooper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
I was so intrigued by being able to sit on the water where I couldn't cast I built a plywood framed, wood stringer, duckcloth covered 10' kayak while in high school in 1973. It weighed about 20 lbs. soaking wet. I couldn't afford fiberglass to cover it, so if I remember right I used some kind of flexible oil-base paint It served me well until it started developing leaks.  The next quarter in school there were 15 kayaks of the same design being built in wood shop.

There have been a lot of kayaks in between then and now. Now I'm on my 2nd Jackson Kayak Coosa. They are stable, not too heavy, functional, and I'm very happy with it. My son wants me to get a Hobie. We'll see.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
I was so intrigued by being able to sit on the water where I couldn't cast I built a plywood framed, wood stringer, duckcloth covered 10' kayak while in high school in 1973. It weighed about 20 lbs. soaking wet. I couldn't afford fiberglass to cover it, so if I remember right I used some kind of flexible oil-base paint It served me well until it started developing leaks.  The next quarter in school there were 15 kayaks of the same design being built in wood shop.

There have been a lot of kayaks in between then and now. Now I'm on my 2nd Jackson Kayak Coosa. They are stable, not too heavy, functional, and I'm very happy with it. My son wants me to get a Hobie. We'll see.

I remember dreaming of getting a Folbot when I was in high school (also in the 70s).  Never could raise the cash for that dream..........
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Stevm

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014

I remember dreaming of getting a Folbot when I was in high school (also in the 70s).  Never could raise the cash for that dream..........

After visiting the Folbot factory around 1970, I helped build 3 for a Scout troop, and one for my family,  What remains of the skeleton of the family Folbot is being transformed into "yard art" in my garden this year.  Before it became unseaworthy, it served as the blueprint for at least a half dozen skin or fiberglass kayaks that I built over the years, including a racing kayak built for an '80's Bend Pull, Pedal, & Paddle - also still in my yard.  We used to duck hunt out of the Folbot, it was great in tall, weedy waterways and lake edges.
Over the years, I paddled a wide assortment of SINKs until my first SOT, a 2015 Hobie - when they came out with the Vantage seat and I joined this group. I still collect useful kayaks, just not making them anymore....
“Once a year go someplace you have never been “
Dali Llama

2015 Outback Dune
2020 Outback Dune
20? OK Trident 13 Dune Camo

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
Gotta love the Vantage seat (my back does especially).  I would like to see a picture of your Folbot "yard art" when its completed.  I also seem to collect "useful" kayaks which are great for getting the kids and grandkids on the water.  Its been a pleasure watching the progression of kayaks the past 50 years.  Quite a dramatic change.........
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Stevm

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Yes, I'll try to post the yak art - it will challenge my (non)artistic side.  That idea came this fall when I was repairing a bean trellis about 10 feet away from the Folbot skeleton.

And I agree with the changes - one of the best has to be paddles - I'll have to bring one of the wooden yak paddles that came with the Folbot to the next NWKA gathering when we are through this mess!

Hmmm, Guess I hold on to kayaks (and gear) I like a little tooo long!   ::)
“Once a year go someplace you have never been “
Dali Llama

2015 Outback Dune
2020 Outback Dune
20? OK Trident 13 Dune Camo

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Wow, guys, and here I thought Todd Switzer and Kalliype had a long history on their boats with @ 30 years +...

Just goes to show, ya,never know who's at the other end of the keyboard.. 
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....