Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:21:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Offshore Kayak Fishing Basics: Safety, Swell, & Surf  (Read 2772 times)

uplandsandpiper

An overview video I've been intending to do for some time. With plenty of time on my hand I decided to recycle some old video and put something together.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:36:33 PM by uplandsandpiper »

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I would title this “nearshore” Ocean basics.  Offshore really would mean an additional equipment list for sure.  Also, a float plan is important for even nearshore fishing as is spare paddle, compass, knife, seasickness prep, sunscreen, water, etc; a word or 2 about how to launch/land from the beach or harbor might be helpful too.  Fog can be a real concern for folks new to ocean fishing as well.  Anything else? 
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Good one!  I think I see more folks new to kayaking in the ocean misread or misunderstand wind, waves, and swells, and their interactions, than any other factor when deciding to go fishing.  This should help.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Cackalacky

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020

Great video, thanks for putting it together!

I'm new to kayak fishing and new to the Pacific. I've lived on/traveled on sail boats for many years in the Atlantic, but we didn't need to pay as much attention to swell there, at least in the sections I spent time in. This puts together a bunch of good info in a beer length feature (maybe a beer .5, depending on how thirsty you are). Good work!

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Excellent video! I especially like your talk on swell period and its influence on shore break. As pleasant as a 3' @ 20 second swell is to ride over deep water, it can make beach landing a bit...tricky  :laugh:.

I always recommend that folks bookmark several marine forecast websites to compare/contrast before making a trip to the coast. Forecast sites can at times be at odds with one another, with one site painting favorable conditions while another describes marginal conditions. It's great when the site painting the "favorable" conditions morphs into reality, but the opposite can occur just as frequently.
aMayesing Bros.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Good overview, Tyler!

I would title this “nearshore” Ocean basics.  Offshore really would mean an additional equipment list for sure.  Also, a float plan is important for even nearshore fishing as is spare paddle, compass, knife, seasickness prep, sunscreen, water, etc; a word or 2 about how to launch/land from the beach or harbor might be helpful too.  Fog can be a real concern for folks new to ocean fishing as well.  Anything else?

^ THIS ^

Fog. I and many others on this forum have seen fog so bad that someone literally could not find their way back to the shore and needed to be rescued by the Coasties. (Paddle towards the sun! :D ) Fog is a regular occurrence in the Spring, when many are trying to get their first salt experience. It can settle in without much warning and can make you feel downright claustrophobic.

They were very briefly mentioned in the video but tall safety flags are a requirement and not optional in my opinion. And by tall, I mean at least two feet above the head.

I also want to point out that Tyler often mentioned what conditions he looks for when heading out.  Personally, these are not the conditions I would recommend someone look for when they are early on in their understanding of the ocean, especially for a surf launch.  Simply put, I recommend that people look for a day with 2-3 ft or less of combined swell, light to no wind, no dramatically larger swells predicted for the prior or following days and stay within sight of your launch. We usually see these predictions from May - September during prolonged high pressure systems.

Finally, the most important thing on this topic in my opinion is to try as hard as one can, when first learning the ocean, to tag along with someone who knows how things work. There is no substitute for experience.

This is a REALLY tough topic to tackle.  I have presented this topic for a very quick two hours many times and still feel required to label it as simply a basic introduction, 101-level course. 

The ocean is as cruel and unforgiving as she is bountiful and majestic.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Additionally, here are some great resources for proper VHF etiquette:

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater
https://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/vhf-basics.asp

Many, including myself, are guilty of messing this stuff up constantly. Do your best.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

uplandsandpiper

Good overview, Tyler!

^ THIS ^

Fog. I and many others on this forum have seen fog so bad that someone literally could not find their way back to the shore and needed to be rescued by the Coasties. (Paddle towards the sun! :D ) Fog is a regular occurrence in the Spring, when many are trying to get their first salt experience. It can settle in without much warning and can make you feel downright claustrophobic.

They were very briefly mentioned in the video but tall safety flags are a requirement and not optional in my opinion. And by tall, I mean at least two feet above the head.

I also want to point out that Tyler often mentioned what conditions he looks for when heading out.  Personally, these are not the conditions I would recommend someone look for when they are early on in their understanding of the ocean, especially for a surf launch.  Simply put, I recommend that people look for a day with 2-3 ft or less of combined swell, light to no wind, no dramatically larger swells predicted for the prior or following days and stay within sight of your launch. We usually see these predictions from May - September during prolonged high pressure systems.

Finally, the most important thing on this topic in my opinion is to try as hard as one can, when first learning the ocean, to tag along with someone who knows how things work. There is no substitute for experience.

This is a REALLY tough topic to tackle.  I have presented this topic for a very quick two hours many times and still feel required to label it as simply a basic introduction, 101-level course. 

The ocean is as cruel and unforgiving as she is bountiful and majestic.

I agree many nuances and impossible to squeeze into a ten minute video. A part II video is necessary and in order.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything