Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: WTB - Ultra Inexpensive Pedal Kayak for fishing  (Read 3066 times)

Salmon King

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Guys I’m new to kayaks and I’ve watched I think every kayaking video on YouTube. 
I know I need a pedal style and I will never be able to afford a Hobi PA so a bike pedal style is where I’m at.

But living on a disability income doesn’t leave much left so new is also out of the question. This is strictly for SMALLER lakes, I’ll not be heading out into the salt with it for sure!

Please keep yer eyes peeled for a deal for me...thanks!

uplandsandpiper

Guys I’m new to kayaks and I’ve watched I think every kayaking video on YouTube. 
I know I need a pedal style and I will never be able to afford a Hobi PA so a bike pedal style is where I’m at.

But living on a disability income doesn’t leave much left so new is also out of the question. This is strictly for SMALLER lakes, I’ll not be heading out into the salt with it for sure!

What's your budget?

Salmon King

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

What's your budget?

I know these things aren’t cheap but man...The max hit my budget could stand is only around the $600 mark.  Of course less would be better...

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
For 600$, you wont evn find a new regular PADDLE yak. Probably a decent used paddle yak. For 600$, id think any PEDDLE yak you find would be pretty beat up, outside of getting very very lucky on a cheap one posting on CL, if you're the first one to view it. Good Luck! I too will be in the market for a peddle yak this next year I hope

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
$600 is going to be a tough target to hit.  The drives alone range from $500-$1000 depending on the brand.  That doesn't even include a kayak, paddle, or seat.   Codeman is right, $600 won't get you much in the way of just a kayak hull either unless it is a really cheap quality or it is fairly old and used.   :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Why do you need a pedal-powered kayak?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Why do you need a pedal-powered kayak?

Especially for small lakes, +1

With your budget and choice of bodies of water in mind, a small recreational type paddle kayak should be perfect. You might be able to get a whole setup for around 600 used
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
You can find them in the same aisle as the unicorn horns and sasquatch toes.

You should be able to find a use paddle SOT for that money, easy.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I can imagine certain disabilities that might make using a pedal kayak required and/or much better than a paddle kayak.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Bought my first Hobie Revo 13 for $750. It was an older 2007 model with the V1 drive, and the guy selling it was just looking to get rid of things he didn't use. This was back in 2012 or so. Deals like that are possible, but they don't tend to last long.

I think if you see any pedal-drive kayak for sale under $1k, you'll have to swoop in on it like a hawk before someone else grabs it. COVID has put kayaks and other outdoor toys in high demand. If I were you, I'd try to scrounge together at least $1k. And if you get that far, might as well save up for a new Pelican with the Hydryve (clone of the Hobie V1). I think they go for $1300 and include all the fixins. Good luck!
aMayesing Bros.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I purchased my Outback for $700 without a drive (owner flipped and lost it and was too freaked to replace it.) Bought a new GTT drive for $500 and have put hundreds if not thousands of hours on it in the last 4 years. I think $1,000 is the cheapest I've seen one with a drive, although you never know. I have been contemplating selling and would likely ask about what I paid for the kit, fortunately they don't depreciate much after a certain period of time.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

OtisPBody

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
Costco sells a paddle kayak for around $300 new. Might be the way to go until you can save up $1500+ For a great used peddle drive kayak.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Run away from big box store kayaks.  Widow-makers, every one of them.

You can get Wilderness Systems Tarpon paddle-powered kayaks new at a price close to or under your budget.  Also, check Next Adventure to see what they may have NOS in storage.

If you need pedals, that's one thing, but if you said "pedal-powered" just because they're stylish, look in a different direction.  Some of us use paddles and have no desire to change.  And look a NCKA.  There's a older Ocean Kayak Trident 13 - paddle-powered - being offered for $600.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Most of all, don't get discouraged. 

Hobies i9S and i12's are inflatable and occasionally show up on CL. Those usually come with an original V1 drive set. Most owners won't make the effort to upgrade to a newer model because they only use the thing a few times a year., again I said Most.

Native Watercraft also makes peddle drive boats, as well as NuCanoe. Point is do your research because there's a lot of peddle drive boats being made these days.

Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....