Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Quick and easy "solid mount" for 19-20 Outback  (Read 4011 times)

T Coastal

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
With the purchase of my new kayak a few months ago, I upgraded my rod holder to a fancy Yak-Attack Omega. I love how easy it is to adjust on the water, with the extension I had plenty of reach to troll with the rod facing across my kayak, which if you haven't tried yet, this is a very comfortable and easy way to troll.

The rod holder is awesome! But damn does it FLEX! and not in a good way. When everything is held on by a single gear track bolt it got a little iffy for me while trolling with 10 oz of lead and a pro troll and getting a first salmon hit. It's not too bad when you're just trolling along, most of the flex comes from the connections on the extension. But the leverage being applied on that single mounting point on my H Rail had to change.

Thanks to MoJo for the advice a while ago before I even ever had a gear track, who let me know toilet bolts work great! All it took was a small piece of scrap plywood, $4.50 in hardware for a rock solid mounting point, and I have something MUCH more solid than the Hobie H-rail mounting plate which costs upwards of $30 sometimes. I will now be digging out an old rod holder with a full size mount and ordering a new extension. Should help with a lot of the uncomfortable flex!

I used 2 bolts on the side where theoretically more force would be applied while trolling, I went with wing nuts because it's nice to be able to easily adjust on the water with no tools needed. I will be making a second one for the other side for when I want to use a downrigger. As well as cutting the bolts a little closer and cleaning it up a little bit. Was not too shabby for a 5 minute project before work today  8)
2020 Hobie Outback
2018 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
excellent, that is the direction I am heading with mine, still too much flex in my 'cross kayak' rod holder, thanks for sharing...
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

T Coastal

• Lingcod
No idea how much it'll work yet, but will report back asap. And you do lose a little customization with the rod holder as the extensions for a full base (that I could find) only stick straight in. So the only adjustment really is the tilt on the top of it. I am sure I will get used to the positioning though.
2020 Hobie Outback

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
No idea how much it'll work yet, but will report back asap. And you do lose a little customization with the rod holder as the extensions for a full base (that I could find) only stick straight in. So the only adjustment really is the tilt on the top of it. I am sure I will get used to the positioning though.

I've got some scraps of Aquatek marine plywood to use that I think will add to long-term durability.  I'll be interested to hear how yours works.

T Coastal

• Lingcod
Hopefully I will find out by the end of the month. I took a week off work and will hit springers hard a few times during that week ;)
2020 Hobie Outback

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Another way to make bolts for attaching mounts to a gear track is by grinding down stainless steel carriage bolts.

T Coastal

• Lingcod
Definitely looked into this! I was a little lazy this first go  :D I'd also like to find some smaller knobs when I go this route, the local hardware store only has bigger ones. 
2020 Hobie Outback

Cally88

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Nice Idea!
What about using some of that white cutting board material?  That might hold up better than the ply long term. 

T Coastal

• Lingcod
Nice Idea!
What about using some of that white cutting board material?  That might hold up better than the ply long term.

We have several pieces of scrap UHMW laying around, it's actually how I mounted my fish finder to the ram ball ;) However the stuff we have is a little on the thick side, I am sure it would work but we have a lot more scrap plywood laying around too. Depending on how long the plywood lasts I will go longer term with my next go! I have been SUPER happy with how it handles, having several takedowns with this setup.
2020 Hobie Outback

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
https://www.snipeairindustries.com/
Check this place out. Guys on NCKA so should be ok to put him here?! No association what so ever.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Check this place out. Guys on NCKA so should be ok to put him here?! No association what so ever.

Those mounts are slick!

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

excellent, thanks for the link...

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I like the looks of that upgraded rudder.  I had issues with mine the last time in T-Bay in the current.  I could tell it was flexing.  I would have to turn the rudder controls a couple of times to get it to start turning.  I never had an issue with it in the lakes or on the Nehalem the other day so it has something to do with the stronger currents.  I might have to buy one and try it out.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
I like the idea of the rudder, but worry that it might be too rigid. I've dropped my outback on accident before and the rudder too the impact. If I drop it with that rudder, it might do internal damage. I know. I should just not drop it. Lol

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I like the idea of the rudder, but worry that it might be too rigid. I've dropped my outback on accident before and the rudder too the impact. If I drop it with that rudder, it might do internal damage. I know. I should just not drop it. Lol

I ordered the rudder (not the oversize one) because the rudder that came on my Outback (and free replacement Hobie sent me) have warped a bit and don't want to stay flat.  It looks like a residual stress issue caused during the molding process but regardless, I am looking forward to having a thin, flat, rigid rudder, especially when I am going backwards quickly.

I also scored one of the secure Scotty mount plates to run my cross-kayak rod holder and I plan to add a second Scotty mount to it for my tall GoPro arm.

looks like well designed and made stuff.  cheers, roger