Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 06:57:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:21:47 PM]

[Today at 10:47:01 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: DR on Hobie Adventure  (Read 2080 times)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I have an older Hobie Adventure that I'd like to outfit with a downrigger. There are several superlative tutorials on the 'net about mounting DRs to Hobie Revolutions; given the similarity between the Adventure and Revolution I was hoping that I'd be able to use those tutorials to guide my approach. Several of those tutorials are:

https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=12575.0
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=49862

However, the starboard cupholder on my Adventure is a bit different than the Revolution starboard cupholders; I created a 3D rendering of my cupholder here:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/2008-hobie-adventure-island-starboard-cupholder-a43c50077518493d9c51d671e673a396

My plan now is to (1) properly scale the 3D model, (2) create a negative of the actual cupholder, and (3) get a machining company to use a lathe to cut me out a plug.

Has anyone mounted a DR on a Hobie w/ this type of cupholder? I'm a little concerned that the cupholder does not have enough surface area on the inside side to prevent the wobble that the plug is meant to stop.

One thing I'd like to add is that I'd like to get the DR on my starboard side because I am right handed, and because I am used to fishing with my line on the starboard side. If I decide that a plug in the starboard cupholder will not properly stabilize the DR, then I'll start considering mounting the DR on the port side.

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
For years i've mounted a downrigger atop a milkcrate in my rear tankwell, in my 16' Hobie Adventure. Simple, stable, centered, works. I've got the milkcrate secured at four corners to pad eyes in the 'yak.

like this - https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=9995.0

i mounted it on the top of my milk-crate, to a hinged lid, which stores my tackle, etc... on the inside.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:14:49 AM by DWB123 »

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The round plug I used to stabilize a Scotty Depthmaster downrigger on my Revolution was a big hassle to make, and heavy and hassle to carry around.  The tapered block I used to stabilize a Cannon Lake-Troll on my Revolution was easy to make, light to carry around, and works great.  I'm still using it, and in fact used it yesterday.  The first post which you mentioned shows how to use a couple of pieces of cardboard to make a template for the block. If the block fits snugly into the cup holder, your downrigger mount won't wobble from side to side at all. I used a wood plane to adjust the taper of the block, but you could also use a sander.

I suggest that you screw pieces of gear track to the top of the gunwale of your Adventure, and use them to hold down your downrigger mount. That would be way easier than trying to duplicate the sealed nut assemblies I made and installed inside the gunwale of my Revolution.

When you make your downrigger mount, I suggest that you include the slide-in slide-out base on the mount, as that will let you leave the mount attached to your Adventure, and quickly and easily remove the downrigger.  For example, if you're using the downrigger in the ocean, you can pull the downrigger off its mount and toss it in the front hatch of your kayak when returning to the beach through surf without having to unscrew the mount from your kayak.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:54:21 AM by pmmpete »

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
On my Tandem Island I fish from the rear seat. I made a Haka for the starboard side amas and mount my DR on the Haka. It works very well and simplifies the mounting dilemma. It also gives a solid platform to sit out on etc. Like this, though it could be narrower if needed.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
I do the same as Idaho Brit with my AI, using a wooden haka to mount an old Scotty dr. Works great as it is handy to use beside you.

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I, uhh.......
This photo raises more questions than it answers.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I do the same as Idaho Brit with my AI, using a wooden haka to mount an old Scotty dr. Works great as it is handy to use beside you.
Tsquared, does your downrigger cable and fishing line run down between your outrigger and its supports? And do you bring your fish up through that area as well, or do you pass your rod under an outrigger support when bringing in a fish, so you have more flexibility about where you bring the fish up to your kayak?  It looks like an advantage of Idaho Brit's setup, since he has a two-seater kayak, is that he can run his downrigger cable and fishing line behind the supports for his outrigger.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
For years i've mounted a downrigger atop a milkcrate in my rear tankwell, in my 16' Hobie Adventure. Simple, stable, centered, works. I've got the milkcrate secured at four corners to pad eyes in the 'yak.

Hey, this is a neat idea that had not previously occurred to me. I actually bought a used electric reel to serve as a downrigger; this mounting method might work really well for the electric reel. Thanks!

pmmpete - Thank you for your original posts on mounting DRs on revolutions, and for your ideas here. I do plan on incorporating gear track into the mount, but my chief concern in this post is that my cupholder is not like the cupholders on revolutions (see the 3D image). I am going to create a plug because I am skeptical that a tapered block will work with my boat.

idaho brit, tsquared - thanks for the input! I'm hoping to create a DR mount that does not rely on the deployment of amas. And idaho -- nice bird, lol.

tsquared

• Lingcod
Tsquared, does your downrigger cable and fishing line run down between your outrigger and its supports? And do you bring your fish up through that area as well, or do you pass your rod under an outrigger support when bringing in a fish, so you have more flexibility about where you bring the fish up to your kayak?  It looks like an advantage of Idaho Brit's setup, since he has a two-seater kayak, is that he can run his downrigger cable and fishing line behind the supports for his outrigger.
My downrigger line runs between the outrigger and the kayak hull but I attach a Scotty 48” release clip to my dr line. I let the clip into the water as I’m moving and bring it up over the back of the arm. The fishing rod angles back and I attach the line to the release clip so when a salmon jumps on the clip pops and the salmon is behind the yak. I keep the port side outrigger clear and bring it in beside the hull to land a fish (usually! Sometimes the salmon have other ideas.) BTW I enjoy your posts about fishing the lakes in Montana. My great uncle had a cherry farm on Flathead Lake and One of my earliest memories is fishing with him.

tsquared

• Lingcod
I, uhh.......
This photo raises more questions than it answers.
t
That’s Percy, the local boat inspector: he’s vain, but he works for peanuts!

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
I just stumbled across this post:
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=77862.msg891368#msg891368

The solution posted by NowhereMan is the slickest I've seen yet for boats with this style of cupholder; I'm setting out to implement it on my boat. Pics to come.... maybe....

anything