Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: How do you transport your Oasis?  (Read 1638 times)

HapaIK

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Aloha Everyone,
I’m mostly on NCKA as a Bay Area fisherman, but occasionally come north and fish my Oasis along the coast. I’m getting ready to add some gear tracks with the help from Captain Redbeards post here https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=14061.0

I have so far been transporting my oasis on my lumber rack, but with the addition of the gear tracks, I figured I would ask if anyone has any better ideas.

Thanks! 

Here is a pic of what I usually do for transport

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I just transport mine same as you.  On my truck rack upside down.  :thumbsup:
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

T Coastal

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Don't have an Oasis, but I load my Outback in my bed with a bed extender,  right side up.
2020 Hobie Outback
2018 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I have a similar lumber rack on my truck, except mine has another crossbar at the middle of the bed. I transport my Oasis right side up because of all the crap I have sticking up above the gunwales.

I have two 5' lengths of 1" PVC, covered with pipe insulation, that I put under the Oasis. They fit nicely into the longitudinal grooves on hull, and elevate the hull off of the lumber rack crossbars. I wrap duct tape around the insulation where it contacts the crossbars, because of the wear it receives. You can't slide the tubes into place, you have to rock the hull to one side and then the other. I have transported my Oasis for 9 years and literally thousands of miles this way, with no apparent damage.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:02:12 AM by sherminator »
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

HapaIK

• Plankton
Thanks y’all, I think I’ll do something like you have set up sherminator. Ill post pics when its done.

Aloha,

Isao

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I still transport my Oasis on the gunwales ("upside down") with the gear tracks. I've been fortunate enough for my tracks to never end up where the crossbars are, so far. I think sherminator's solution is good, too, and if you can leave some of your rigging on (seats, rod holders, etc.) you'll save time at the launch.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

HapaIK

• Plankton
Two rails were installed during my kids nap this weekend, and in theory the placement was successful. I’ll wait for salt trolling confirmation, which will hopefully happen soon.

Aloha,

Isao

HapaIK

• Plankton
Still works on the gunwales with the tracks!

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
The photo shows the Adventure but the Oasis (Yellow kayak) is on the other side and is mounted the exact same way.  I run (2) 8' lengths of PVC pipe under them and have never had any issues.  You don't need 8'...  I was too lazy to cut them down.  Several years later... it appears I am still too lazy to cut them down.

If I am just driving short distances at slower speeds (My normal launch area is 5 minutes from the house), I just use bungee cords at the back crossbar.  If I am hitting the HWY, I will strap the back down as well.  I always strap the front down.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
The photo shows the Adventure but the Oasis (Yellow kayak) is on the other side and is mounted the exact same way.  I run (2) 8' lengths of PVC pipe under them and have never had any issues.  You don't need 8'...  I was too lazy to cut them down.  Several years later... it appears I am still too lazy to cut them down.

If I am just driving short distances at slower speeds (My normal launch area is 5 minutes from the house), I just use bungee cords at the back crossbar.  If I am hitting the HWY, I will strap the back down as well.  I always strap the front down.

This is pretty much a picture of what I do. I use smaller diameter (and shorter :)) tubes, but they are covered with pipe insulation, and wrapped with duct tape where they rest on the crossbars. I have traveled quite long distances (PDX to Yellowstone and back) with this setup.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Still works on the gunwales with the tracks!

Nice!

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I prefer to transport my yaks upside down on a rack/trailer per Hobie's recommendations.  I did take a couple of 4" pvc pipes, added a street elbow on one end, then slotted the pipe to fit the rack to use a slide for loading the kayaks.  Every little bump and protrusion catches otherwise.  I just slide them to the side after the kayak is loaded. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler