Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Go/no go: Westport jetty, 03JULY2020  (Read 1770 times)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Hey folks, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should make the drive to Westport tomorrow morning. Plan would be to launch from halfmoon bay & fish the Westport jetty for bottomfish, and maybe crab.

Various websites report the following forecasts:
Wind: 5-10 MPH
Primary swell: ~2-4' @ 8 seconds
Secondary swell: Coming from SW; hoping the jetty will shield me from secondary swell
Tide change: 9'
Current caused by tide change: ~2.5 MPH max

Based on the above information, I'm thinking I can go out. If you have alternative takes on the data, I'd like to hear it. Also - if there are additional variables that I should be considering, I'd like to know about them.

Also - does the current caused by tide change preclude crabbing? I'd rather not lose my trap on it's first deployment.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Hey folks, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should make the drive to Westport tomorrow morning. Plan would be to launch from halfmoon bay & fish the Westport jetty for bottomfish, and maybe crab.

Various websites report the following forecasts:
Wind: 5-10 MPH
Primary swell: ~2-4' @ 8 seconds
Secondary swell: Coming from SW; hoping the jetty will shield me from secondary swell
Tide change: 9'
Current caused by tide change: ~2.5 MPH max

Based on the above information, I'm thinking I can go out. If you have alternative takes on the data, I'd like to hear it. Also - if there are additional variables that I should be considering, I'd like to know about them.

Also - does the current caused by tide change preclude crabbing? I'd rather not lose my trap on it's first deployment.

Yeah that looks good, just don't get caught in the ebb. Bring wheels and leave the crab gear at home, commercials took them all. Looking so good I might pull myself away from programming land and go out.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
Awesome - maybe I'll see you out there. Some separation from the computer screen works wonders for me.

I'm shooting for a ~5:30 launch, but we'll see how that goes. I'm 2.5 hours away and need to get my kayak from a location 30 mins north of me. 

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
Didn't make it out to Westport -- official excuse is that I stayed up too late tinkering with my fish finder and couldn't manage to crawl out of bed 2 hours later.

Ended up crabbing at Edmonds - got my first Dungeness and Red Rock crabs. The Dungeness were female and/or too small; I ended up retaining one Red Rock. I split it and boiled it in salty water for about 5 minutes -- really tasty meat.

I went back out to Edmonds today to try to get some more crabs but ended up snagging my gear on the bottom, right between the fishing pier and the ferry dock. I don't like the idea of abandoning gear -- while the pot has escape rings, the rope is nylon and lead core... If anyone has any ideas for getting the pot back, I'd like to hear it. The Power boater who helped me by trying to pull the pot suggested that I contact a local diver - sounds spendy, but I'll at least reach out.

workhard

• Salmon
If you want a winning Dungeness bait combo... Squid and razor clams. When I was commercial we'd use a couple Scotty jars of squid and a small little jar with a piece of razor clam... Now I just 50/50 squid and razor clams in my snares when I go out to the coast in the Fall/Winter. Limited (12 crab) off the Ilwaco jetty last December with it in less than two hours, the locals looked at me like I just discovered fire when I told them I was using razor clams.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
If you want a winning Dungeness bait combo... Squid and razor clams. When I was commercial we'd use a couple Scotty jars of squid and a small little jar with a piece of razor clam... Now I just 50/50 squid and razor clams in my snares when I go out to the coast in the Fall/Winter. Limited (12 crab) off the Ilwaco jetty last December with it in less than two hours, the locals looked at me like I just discovered fire when I told them I was using razor clams.

Dude - thank you. I'm guessing you use guts and all? I cooked some store bought razor clams this winter and wasn't impressed (I might have overcooked them); I'll stock up next time I have the chance.

Maybe even make it out to the coast and get some of my own when WDFW opens it. Sounds like a pleasant day.

workhard

• Salmon

Dude - thank you. I'm guessing you use guts and all? I cooked some store bought razor clams this winter and wasn't impressed (I might have overcooked them); I'll stock up next time I have the chance.

Maybe even make it out to the coast and get some of my own when WDFW opens it. Sounds like a pleasant day.

Yeah, I usually go clamming on the coast with my girlfriend which if I wanted to eat all 30 of them I'd have to spend over an hour cleaning them. Usually will clean about 5 for eating that night then deshell the rest and freeze them for crab bait. You absolutely should go out there and do it, it's a blast and probably the most Washingtonian thing ever. All you really need is a clam bag, and GAS latern (trust me) for night digs, and something to dig them up. There's a huge debate between the people who use clam guns vs the shovel lovers. If you're green just get a gun. I typically just dig them up like a dog with my hands, that works best for me.

Edit: Fresh razor clams are fantastic. Their flavor is much more delicate than most other clams, usually people just bread and fry them.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:35:34 PM by workhard »

anything