Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kokanee/trout trolling  (Read 3514 times)

Leon1980

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
So I have a few questions about Kokanee and trout trolling. First I’ll describe my setup.
Large sliding swivel, size 5 bead chain swivel, 12 in leader, dodger, 12 in leader, lure.
1. Is this properly setup?
2. Where should I put snap swivels to make it easier to change the setup while on the water? I want to be able to easily swap out my dodger and lure while on the water. Can I play with the swivels on my dodger without Messing with the dodgers action?on one side I want to attach a snap swivel to the barrel swivel, or should I attach the snap swivel between the beads and leader. on the other side of the dodger I want to flip the snap swivel so the snap side is attached to dodger and the hoop side is attached to the lures leader. This will allow me to swap lures, Dodgers, or both with nothing more than snap swivels easily with no knot tying in the water!
3. I’m thinking a 2oz cannonball. The Kokanee are all at 25 to 50 ft. How do I determine how much line to let out? I know it’s about more than just how deep you want to go.
4. What beginners advice would you impart?
I know these are a lot of questions. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:57:19 PM by Leon1980 »

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
One bead chain should be plenty, the dodger has swivels right?

What kind of lures are you using? Lures with their own action like spoons or wiggle hoochies for instance, usually fish better with say 16-20" in my experience. Spinners closer to 10-12" and plain hoochies or flies 6-8". This is a rough guide, plenty of variation of course.

I honestly rarely bother changing the dodger. Lure presentation, speed, depth etc are much more important variables to me. I tie swivels on all my leaders. The rare times I do change the dodger it's easy enough to retire a single knot. I wouldn't bother with all those swivels.

Tuna corn works great for Kokanee, I prefer worms or gulp maggots for trout. Make sure the bait does not hamper the action of the lure, ideally the lure will impart movement to the bait and make it enticing.

It can definitely be frustrating at first. Keep trying to change stuff systematically till you get bites that's really what it boils down to.

Check out Uplandsandpipers video's on the subject.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
For your setup just k.i.s.s.    8-12lb mono main line, add your dropper slider and bead, then bead chain or quality 3 bead roller swivel and add a duo snap, 1-3ft of 15lb or 20lb bumper with a duo snap, Dodger, then add your leader.  8-12" leader plain hoochies or bugs, 18-24" on spinners or wiggle hoochies. Just get some gulp maggots and add a scent of choice. As for depth go on youtube and look up split milt videos. Tyler has tons of info on this subject
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Leon1980

• Herring
I have an ugly stick elite and a Shimano trevalia  jigging  rod.
The ugly stick Will work nicely for this yes? What about the trevalia?
Can I put a line counting reel on one of these?

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Your shimano is way to heavy. Depending on the model, your ugly stik will be fine if it's a light or ultra light. Line counters take the guess work out if it but only if they are calibrated. If you are on a budget but have a good baitcaster just add s dacron bobber stop to your line every 10 or 25 feet.
1oz lead per 100ft of line is about 10 ft of trolling depth.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Leon1980

• Herring
That’s the problem. I have no baitcaster and am in a bit of a budget.
I was thinking a Daiwa accudepth paired with a Cabela’s fish eagle heavy.
I want something that can still handle other salmon though so I may go with something between a full Kokanee rod and a little heavier. I would really only be going for land locked salmon, so they would most likely be on the smaller side.
However I now feel like I am getting away from the purpose of this forum. I thought it was more for generally Pacific Northwest kayaking but the more I look the more ocean based it seems. Sorry.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
That’s the problem. I have no baitcaster and am in a bit of a budget.
I was thinking a Daiwa accudepth paired with a Cabela’s fish eagle heavy.
I want something that can still handle other salmon though so I may go with something between a full Kokanee rod and a little heavier. I would really only be going for land locked salmon, so they would most likely be on the smaller side.
However I now feel like I am getting away from the purpose of this forum. I thought it was more for generally Pacific Northwest kayaking but the more I look the more ocean based it seems. Sorry.

You're good man, sure there's a lot of bottom fishing etc on the forum however there's plenty of folks here who fish freshwater a ton. I've caught over 50 Kokanee this year speaking for myself. I could talk about freshwater trolling till your ears fall off :banjo:
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

micahgee

• Sturgeon
Eagle claw featherlight rod and Abu Garcia black max is about the cheapest combo I know of that I would recommend.

www.heroesonthewater.org

Leon1980

• Herring
That looks good but I’m looking for something a little more general. Something that may be able
To handle some other salmon as well and not just Kokanee. This is getting to be a very expensive hobby and I can’t afford too many rods and reels. Also I want a line counter reel. Thank you though.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
It's hard to have gear that will work for such different fish, generalist gear will not be good at either IMO. I hear you that this crap is expensive and it sure is.

One thought is to focus on the cheaper freshwater stuff and worry about gear for bigger stuff/saltwater later. Saltwater is way harder on reels for instance so I'd definitely recommend a quality (and expensive) reel for the salt. I've gone through way too much money on cheaper gear that is just trashed by salt and sand

www.heroesonthewater.org

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I have an ugly stick elite and a Shimano trevalia  jigging  rod.
The ugly stick Will work nicely for this yes? What about the trevalia?
Can I put a line counting reel on one of these?

I know many guides use the same Okuma Coldwater low pro reel on Kokes and salmon.  They would work fine for most bottom fish also.  I'd suggest spending what money you have here and when you can afford it, add another rod.

Depending on the action of your Ugly Stick and Shimano rods it's possible they might work ok, but probably not be as much fun as rods specifically matched to the fish you are going after.  If you go to goodwill and garage sales you can find good rods that only need a replacement guide or tip (easy fix).  It's an inexpensive way to start filling out your rod quiver.  Have a plan and try not to overlap unless you find a cheap upgrade to your arsenal.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I know many guides use the same Okuma Coldwater low pro reel on Kokes and salmon.  They would work fine for most bottom fish also.  I'd suggest spending what money you have here and when you can afford it, add another rod.

I use the Okuma cold water low profile for everything from Kokanee to salmon.  It also works great jigging for lake trout or bottom fish/lingcod.  I have had really good luck with it’s line counter and the drag has been pretty smooth.  I avoid casting with the line counter reel and give it a good rinse after fishing in the saltwater.  It has been problem free for about 4-5 years and I use it a lot.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Leon1980

• Herring
So I’ve settled for sleeping in the dog house. Budget be damned. Lamiglas tournament Koke rod and the Okuma low pro.
An additional question though. I plan on using the same reel on a different rod for coho and Other larger salmon. Because if this I would like to string on 15lb line however my rod is only rated for 8. How likely am I to snap the rod if I get something too big on? I was thinking if I used 8lb line for my lure leader that will eliminate the risk of the rod breaking before the line. Is this correct?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:36:15 PM by Leon1980 »

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Good choice.

I'd suggest spooling up with 30lb braid.  You can always throw on a mono or fluoro leader of a lighter weight.  Remember you do have a drag setting on your reel.  You can use it along with how you play the fish to keep your rod from breaking.

Leon1980

• Herring
Good choice.

I'd suggest spooling up with 30lb braid.  You can always throw on a mono or fluoro leader of a lighter weight.  Remember you do have a drag setting on your reel.  You can use it along with how you play the fish to keep your rod from breaking.

1. So my thoughts on a lighter leader are correct?
2. I don’t really like braid. It’s just never really been good to me and seem to catch nothing when I use it. That’s why I just stick to my usual mono.
3. I don’t know if I feel experienced enough to put my rod against my drag and fish playing expertise.

anything