Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:55:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Baker Lake opening for Sockeye 18JULY2020  (Read 2947 times)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Per WDFW:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2538

I'm a bit confused by this; I thought that escapement goals were 10k fish. They're presently around 5.5k. Maybe WDFW is extrapolating from the present returns and figure they'll hit the goal easy peasy?

Anyways, the girlfriend told me to take her camping this weekend. It didn't sound optional. I was bummed to miss some Chinook interactions, but this works out. Looks like I'll be kayak camping on Baker. Dope.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'm pretty stoked I'm on a campsite with its own lake entrance.

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Hey workhard, 

Once again,  I'm gonna try Point No Point for Kings.  Do you have any insight as to the fish numbers this season?  The tides look good later next week.

Edit:  Can you recommend a good jigging rod?  I lost a good fish on a Dart last year.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:57:28 PM by kaz »
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Hey workhard, 

Once again,  I'm gonna try Point No Point for Kings.  Do you have any insight as to the fish numbers this season?  The tides look good later next week.

Edit:  Can you recommend a good jigging rod?  I lost a good fish on a Dart last year.

Long time no see, kaz. WDFW closed the access/overflow parking site at Point No Point so be aware of that. Area 5 had some spectacular catch rates early in the month before seeing them regressing back toward the mean, 7 is having an average season and 11 has lower catch rates. Point No Point this time of year is uh, awesome, if you're on the right tide. You shouldn't have any trouble. Losing fish is just part of the jigging game, I lose a lot of them. Tried everything to keep them on short of leaving the barbs on. My solution is to just hook the hell out of them to mitigate the 'drop-off rate'. Currently run a Lamiglas LX79BC with a Shimano Curado. The rod is about $100 at Sportco / Cabela's / Bass Pro.

Edit: Used rods from 7' up to 10' they all lose fish. It's the barbless hooks combined with being stationary in the water. Think of the amount of fish you lose trolling on a boat... not many because constant pressure from the boat keeps the fish turned toward you. The point of the hook is always pointing toward the fisherman during the fight so the more the fish faces away from you the more likely that hook will unpenetrate itself.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:06:00 PM by workhard »

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Thanks for the report workhard.  I've been busy with family issues back east,  but I'm still hacking-away on the water.  I've found that I enjoy kayaking/sailing as a stand-alone sport,  and these days I most often just haul-in a few sand dabs (dinner)  and paddle on. 

I'll take a look at the Lamiglas.  Last year I alternated between a stiff 8'-6" mooching rod,  and even tried my 10'-8" Lamiglas 106 MHC.  Neither option seemed right.   Too stiff - too long - and tiring.  It's time to get a dedicated rig for jigging. 

Yeah,  I heard that the WDFW closed their parking.  I read that there's some controversy with the tribes.  Anyway,  if i can get time this weekend,  I'll be there long before daylight.  I hate rushing,  and hate the crowds.  I don't mind the dark.

Last year at PnP,  on the ebb,  I tried to fish the drifts as if I had my outboard.  Utter fatigue forced me to reconsider.  This year I'm gonna spend more time in the backwater towards the WDFW parking.  In 40-50' of water,  I was marking fish.  That's where I lost a very big King.
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

Jpsky

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
Which launch is best for a Kayak day trip to Baker and how early do you need to get there to find parking?

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
Which launch is best for a Kayak day trip to Baker and how early do you need to get there to find parking?

I think that depends on what you're trying to get out of your day trip.

As for parking, I understand that the PSE ramp has the most parking. I'm aiming to get there pretty early.... I'm afraid it's going to be quite the shit show.

Jpsky

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
I was thinking of going up to swift creek on Sunday maybe by 3:30 or 4 AM.  To launch for the day on Sunday or maybe during the week next week.

wreglmed

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Swift creek was loaded with trailers this morning, but ample room for vehicles so no worries for rooftop or bed haulers. Will be packed tomorrow too, but should be OK if you arrive at that hour.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
Swift creek was loaded with trailers this morning, but ample room for vehicles so no worries for rooftop or bed haulers. Will be packed tomorrow too, but should be OK if you arrive at that hour.

You get into any fishies? We decided to not go given that we don't have any bear canisters, and we didn't think we'd be able to get any of the backpacking sites w/ bear boxes.

Floated around Lake W instead - made for a really nice day.

wreglmed

• Perch
One sockeye and a Dolly Varden. Bite was good until about 0900. Lots of nets in the water.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
One sockeye and a Dolly Varden. Bite was good until about 0900. Lots of nets in the water.

Awesome, I'm glad you got to take one home. That's a beautiful place up there. It's one of the first locations I checked out when I moved to Seattle from the East Coast... Fido loved it maybe more than me, even:

wreglmed

• Perch
One of the few places I travel where the fish are really just a bonus.

Leon1980

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
One of the few places I travel where the fish are really just a bonus.

Wow. Where is this?

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Wow, that's really waythehelloffandgone. Is lake shannon just as scenic?
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

anything