Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Smaller Crab Traps  (Read 4682 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Someone was asking about smaller crab traps but I can't find the post.

Bi-Mart - at least the Bi-Mart in Coos Bay - has Danielson-style traps that measure 18" per side.  No brand name on them but they look to be made with good materials and well constructed.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I've been thinking about those too. Kind of a pain dragging up a full 24"x24" crab trap on to a Hobie Revo...

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
http://www.jollygoodtrap.com/

Looking on their site, they don't appear to have a US Distributor.  Though there are places on that list that I'm sure would send stuff South of the border.

If you want one, and are having trouble finding someone to ship it South.  I'm certainly willing to pick one up and send it to you if you cover the costs.

I have a large trap (had it for many years) and after moving into the kayak realm, I picked up a small trap.  I've hauled both out on the Kayak and the small one is definitely a lot easier to handle.  Still a chore when full of critters...

Attached is a photo of the small trap after a 2 hour soak.  I had already emptied the large trap (it's collapsed on the front of the kayak).  What can I say other than "THEY WORK and they work well".  Don't let the photo fool you, toss a couple chicken drumsticks in the pouch and the Dungeness are equally fond of finding their way into these traps.  I simply didn't know that there were no Dungeness on this side of the Island that we were visiting...  Had I known, I never would have dropped the traps.  I don't particularly like Rock crab so these all got to live to see another day.

I'm told they also work well for Prawns.  I've never done it as I previously only had the large trap and hauling that pig up with prawns from 300' was not something I cared to try.  Now that I have the smaller trap, I may give it a go one day.

Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Looks like Kone Zone sells them...
https://konezone.com/jolly-good-crab-trap/

Their size selector seems all messed up (for the flasher sizes, not the trap size).
formerly known as smokeondawater

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
MCkay Shrimp and Crab Gear is a great sponsor of the ORC and have one designed for Kayaks.
https://www.mckayshrimpandcrabgear.com/store/Crab-Pot-Kayak-Crabber-12-x-12-x-24-p53260356

I used it at PC recently and it easily fits way more than a limit of large ocean crab in it and is much easier to get in the kayak.  It also fits nicely in the tank well of a Hobie Revo (or probabaly any kayak) so there was no need for me to bungie it down while going through the surf like I have to do with the Danielsons. 

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I have a McKay and they're great traps for all the reasons craig mentioned - didn't know they're an ORC sponsor.  They're spendy compared to a Danielson trap, but they're easier to carry and easier to use, they fit the tank wells of my Tridents, and they work great.

I spotted the smaller Danielson-style traps and remembered someone had asked about the old Danielson A-frame shaped traps because they're more compact.  Thought the ones in Bi-Mart might be of interest to them.

Glad to see there are other options for smaller traps.

bpm2000

• Rockfish
I ended up taking delivery of a couple of those McKay kayak traps so will be trying them out this weekend.  Good looking out!
formerly known as smokeondawater

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
looking forward to your review. I had an epic fail in the ocean with a Danielson that was too full to get in the yak. Wrestled 3 pretty full pots in Nehalem last weekend. Definitely looking at traps that are a bit more Kayak friendly
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Used mine a couple of weeks ago and it survived an encounter with a harbor seal.  And it trapped the only legal keeper of the day...

looking forward to your review. I had an epic fail in the ocean with a Danielson that was too full to get in the yak. Wrestled 3 pretty full pots in Nehalem last weekend. Definitely looking at traps that are a bit more Kayak friendly

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Danielson traps are fine if you rig them up right, hit Tillamook bay sometime with me and I’ll show ya.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
MCkay Shrimp and Crab Gear is a great sponsor of the ORC and have one designed for Kayaks.
https://www.mckayshrimpandcrabgear.com/store/Crab-Pot-Kayak-Crabber-12-x-12-x-24-p53260356

I used it at PC recently and it easily fits way more than a limit of large ocean crab in it and is much easier to get in the kayak.  It also fits nicely in the tank well of a Hobie Revo (or probabaly any kayak) so there was no need for me to bungie it down while going through the surf like I have to do with the Danielsons. 
I'm gonna get one of those when I get back from Bastendorff.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I have a McKay and they're great traps for all the reasons craig mentioned - didn't know they're an ORC sponsor.  They're spendy compared to a Danielson trap...

Because they're made in Brinnon, WA and not in Beijing. They'll last longer too. Also, they have helped out HOW directly by donating traps that Next Adventure filled with goodies that got raffled off at the Sportsmen's Shows.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I'll just echo the previous sentiments... I won one of the Mckay pots at ORC several years ago and love it. I purchased a second one recently because I like it so much. I can't afford to buy local or "small" 100% of the time but in my mind they're absolutely worth it for kayak fisherman over the danielson traps and they're made to last.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
How much was shipping?

anything