Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:12:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Deciding on 2020 Nucanoe Frontier 12  (Read 2236 times)

cascade

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Looking for experienced owners of the 2020 Frontier 12. Weighting some cons and pros but it looks like my new boat soon.

Going to be mostly stand up fly fishing in the Puget Sound area and mountain lakes. Would like to have some room for another person in the boat or kids.

Concerned about reported issues with the earlier boats and would like to know if anyone experienced these with 2020 model.

1. Some owners reported after a few seasons that the metal hardware was not lasting in brackish/salty water. Does the 2020 model maintained the same hardware from previous models? Anyone having issues with rusting rivets or mounting bolts of the rails or handles already. As i understand these are not stainless steel so should not expect great performance but still anything that presents inferior quality would be big con.

2. Some reports of sagging or not so sturdy deck area after seasons in the sun and heat. The Nucanoe website still offers a free foamy insert as a remedy. Apparently this fix impedes scupper holes functionality.

3. Some extreme reviews of earlier units imply that the used polyethylene did not last well in salty water reporting hairline cracking and deformation only after one season.

Any other insights into 2020 differences or improvements to the previous year units would be helpful.

Thank you.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
How in the wild, wild world of sports do you expect anyone to have information on the long term issues of a 2020 model, in 2020, unless they have at least one Infinity Stone ?
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

uplandsandpiper

Just going to be honest here. If the brand has had that many issues in the past why are you even considering it? There are several other brands out there with open deck concepts that are conducive to standing and fly casting from. Look at Crescent, Bote, and Kaku for starters. The latter two were purpose built for salt. I used to sell kayaks and our NuCanoes always went on clearance...for a reason.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Looking for experienced owners of the 2020 Frontier 12. Weighting some cons and pros but it looks like my new boat soon.

Going to be mostly stand up fly fishing in the Puget Sound area and mountain lakes. Would like to have some room for another person in the boat or kids.

Concerned about reported issues with the earlier boats and would like to know if anyone experienced these with 2020 model.

1. Some owners reported after a few seasons that the metal hardware was not lasting in brackish/salty water. Does the 2020 model maintained the same hardware from previous models? Anyone having issues with rusting rivets or mounting bolts of the rails or handles already. As i understand these are not stainless steel so should not expect great performance but still anything that presents inferior quality would be big con.

2. Some reports of sagging or not so sturdy deck area after seasons in the sun and heat. The Nucanoe website still offers a free foamy insert as a remedy. Apparently this fix impedes scupper holes functionality.

3. Some extreme reviews of earlier units imply that the used polyethylene did not last well in salty water reporting hairline cracking and deformation only after one season.

Any other insights into 2020 differences or improvements to the previous year units would be helpful.

Thank you.

Actually,  reach out to "Toast", John Oast, at fishyaker.com..  He's made the switch to NuCanoe from his Old Towns and OK's to fish his local water bodies. Great guy, should be able to help you.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I have a 2018 Frontier 12, but I have never taken it on the salt.  I use it to drift smaller rivers as a solo-person drift boat and to cast to smallmouth in slower water like the multnomah channel, both of which it works great for.  As a drift boat, I added an pyramid anchor to the stern and can anchor in decent current and stand and cast for salmon / steelhead in coastal rivers.

No experience taking it into the salt.  As far as the deck warping, that seems to happen when it sits in hot sun for a while, but it doesn't impede fishing in my experience.

That's what I'd write about it.  I don't regret the purchase because it works for those two types of fishing really well.

Adam.lucky

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I have a 2020 f12. Most experience is in an older model. This is a big boat that does not seem to like chop all that much. In terms of longevity nucanoe gives free hardware replacement for life, so I have never worried about that. No immediate issue from saltwater, but again it is 2020 in a 2020 boat.. Great stable boats in more calm water. I run mine by paddle, or outboard and can move with 2 adults and gear without issue. Just note the scuppers do not self bail when more than one person is onboard or with an outboard. I got mine primarily fir waterfowl (almost unbeatable there) fishing from it is new-hence joining this group to learn. That all said, feel free  to pm with any other questions.

cascade

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Thank you all for responding.

Asking about 2020 model because I still have a chance to save a good few bucks on a 2016 model. I am going for a bear minimal initial options so that puts my at $1299 official price with the bench seat or I could get 2016 for $900 bear bones without the seat.

If the 2020 is not an update in terms of hull material and hardware I dont mind getting an older model in decent shape saving good chunk of money for my own build and eventual little repairs.

anything