Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:12:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie Sidekicks Placement...  (Read 2818 times)

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Good morning to all of you!

I am looking to go out into the Big Blue in the next week to hunt the ever elusive halibut (Thanks, Captain). I have Hobie sidekicks that I have used on my Hobie Revo in the past and they have worked well, right up to the point where I have to pull out the Pedal Drive and start paddling for shore. At that point, they are in the way as I come in to land. If I move them back, they are interfering with the basin in the back. If I move them forward, they interfere with my Pedal Drive or the front hatch. I have thought about moving them to just before the rear hatch where the rudder is that way I can maximize the space behind the seat. Has anyone done this before? Will it interfere with the stability? Am I loopy?

Thank you all in advance for your advice.

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Never used sidekicks but I can absolutely relate to your comment "Thanks, Captain"  haha.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

Sigh... Okay, first lesson learned - make sure that when you drill the crossbar mounts that the half mounts connected to your Hobie aren't covering the holes that the Sidekick extensions lock in to (the three holes drilled in the bar). Lesson two - you are going to have to choose: do you cut into your space behind your seat with the bar or do you REALLY need to access your rear hatch while you're on the water? I honestly can't think of a time I have ever accessed it on the water in the last 7 years or so...

Decisions, decisions...

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Not sure what kayak you are putting them on. I have them on the aft deck of my 2018 Outback. They clear the rear hatch. Because of where the holes end up I loose the low position, only get high and low but I only want the high position. I dont have the mobility to get far enough back on the kayak to adjust them while on the water but again, I only use the high position. Not sure if that helps but good luck with the project.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Whoa! You've got those babies WAY back there! Mine are on a Revo 13. I usually have them on the medium position but by the time I'm done moving around, they'll slip in the mount sleeves up a little higher, which makes me a little nervous. I think I just need to tighten them down a little more. I don't necessarily want to stand up on it, but it'll be good when I'm hauling in a full crab trap or horsing in a huge halibut...

Fred "True" Trujillo

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Mine came with them located just behind the seat. Never thought “I need to move them”
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

But did you find that they interfered with paddling when you came in? I mean, if you just launch from a dock or in a protected area, there's really no problem, but when you're landing in 3-5 foot surf, it seems a little trickier to me.

Fred "True" Trujillo

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Whoa! You've got those babies WAY back there! Mine are on a Revo 13. I usually have them on the medium position but by the time I'm done moving around, they'll slip in the mount sleeves up a little higher, which makes me a little nervous. I think I just need to tighten them down a little more. I don't necessarily want to stand up on it, but it'll be good when I'm hauling in a full crab trap or horsing in a huge halibut...

Fred "True" Trujillo

I wasn't sure if you were still fishing from the Revo. I'm sure you couldn't mount them that far back. If you don't need the clearance to paddle I would leave them there and tighten them up or put a thin shim around the center shaft and clamp down on that. Good luck making that decision.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Not sure what kayak you are putting them on. I have them on the aft deck of my 2018 Outback. They clear the rear hatch. Because of where the holes end up I loose the low position, only get high and low but I only want the high position. I dont have the mobility to get far enough back on the kayak to adjust them while on the water but again, I only use the high position. Not sure if that helps but good luck with the project.
Hey Idaho Brit, that looks like a 2019 or 20 hull. Someone just gave me a set of ama's and I was wondering if they could be made to fit into the rear track system on the 19-20 Outbacks.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
But did you find that they interfered with paddling when you came in? I mean, if you just launch from a dock or in a protected area, there's really no problem, but when you're landing in 3-5 foot surf, it seems a little trickier to me.

Fred "True" Trujillo

I used to run mine right behind the seat on my 2015 Outback. I only fish lakes and rivers but it was a pain to paddle to get enough depth to get the pedals installed. if you need to paddle from a beach it might be a better compromise to mount them in front of the pedals for better paddling clearance.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Hey Idaho Brit, that looks like a 2019 or 20 hull. Someone just gave me a set of ama's and I was wondering if they could be made to fit into the rear track system on the 19-20 Outbacks.
I've seen that done, I think on youtube. Personally I prefer to keep the tankwell clear. I don't use them hardly at all now as the 2019 is so stable I don't feel a need for them in the lakes I fish.

I've put them on the front as well and they just get in the way of paddling as well. I feel like I'm going through the effects of the Goldilocks Syndrome... "Too far up... too far back... Is there a just right?"

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
I've put them on the front as well and they just get in the way of paddling as well. I feel like I'm going through the effects of the Goldilocks Syndrome... "Too far up... too far back... Is there a just right?"

I feel your pain Fred. Good luck sorting it. Tight lines.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Glad I can inspire you!

Have you considered changing your method of ingress instead of the position of the sidekicks?

I have seen quite a few people on YouTube doing well putting their bow into the waves and slowly allowing the waves to push them in to shore. Perhaps you could do that with your drive in as far as you need to get in and then split your pedals and jump out? (It sounds like paddling is the problem, correct?)

As for the rear hatch, I have literally never gotten into the rear hatch on any of my Hobies on the water ever. Unless you are doing something back there that I'm not, I think you're 100% fine to cover that hatch. I know some guys put their fish finder battery in there; that's the only thing I can think of. I only use it when I'm cleaning out the kayak or mounting something.

Looking forward to seeing your catch!

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod

I saw that too, after I already drilled holes elsewhere. Although I prefer having it further away from the seat for paddling. Here is a video link showing the option you are suggesting.