Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:03:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie Sidekicks Placement...  (Read 2769 times)

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I've done that before (taking out the Drive at the last second and lifting the rudder), but I noticed that when (I believe it was) Rawkfish was hauling a monster hali, he had to switch over to paddling for some reason too, and if something snaps, crackles or pops (please don't let it be my body) on my Revo, I might be a couple of miles from shore, tired after a long battle. A trip from Point B back to Point A will only be more tiring from there, but then it COULD all work out.

Yeah, I'm sure I'm over-thinking everything... AGAIN. Oh! And my CRAB TRAPS too! I have to get those! By the way, Danielson does make an 18"x18"x12" crab trap, they just didn't know they did... Photos to come later...
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

wreglmed

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
This is a great thread. Ocean access conditions are factor here: our usual access points are all different in terms of the surf you get. At spots less protected from the pound even on the best of days, I’d keep it simple, meaning no traps/pots to contend with. If you hook a sizable chinook or halibut, you’ll be glad the deck is clear. I’m a believer in the Captain’s advice on bow relative to wave, but have seen conditions where sidekicks may have kept me drier.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Well, thought I'd revisit this thread as I have a little feedback as to how the Hobie Sidekicks worked out in the ocean. I think I've found what I was looking for. When I paddled out and paddled back in, they were not an issue. I honestly forgot that they were there because they didn't interfere with me at all. I could still roll the bar up and roll it down from my position to get the sidekicks off or on the water while I was moving from one spot to the next. I will try standing up in one of the local lakes to see if there is any difference in the stability of the boat which I believe there would be a bit more if the Sidekicks nearer the center of the kayak as opposed to farther back.

If I could drill them again, I would probably move them forward a few inches out of the way of the back hatch (that I didn't need to access at all), but the problem is, if you go too far forward, the button to lock the sidekick arm is covered by the Hobie ring that secures the crossbar so you have to go back just a little bit more. There would have to be some type of cross bar modification to make that work. Hmmm... Naw. I think I should probably stop at that point as I want to keep my Revo's name as the "Ms. Salma" and not the "Ms. Swiss Cheese" Still, I think it was a success and will continue to use them when out in the Big Blue...

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Not sure what kayak you are putting them on. I have them on the aft deck of my 2018 Outback. They clear the rear hatch. Because of where the holes end up I loose the low position, only get high and low but I only want the high position. I dont have the mobility to get far enough back on the kayak to adjust them while on the water but again, I only use the high position. Not sure if that helps but good luck with the project.
Hey Idaho Brit, that looks like a 2019 or 20 hull. Someone just gave me a set of ama's and I was wondering if they could be made to fit into the rear track system on the 19-20 Outbacks.

I saw that too, after I already drilled holes elsewhere. Although I prefer having it further away from the seat for paddling. Here is a video link showing the option you are suggesting.

Thanks for the share of the video.  I have a 2020 outback and I really like this ama mounting option as no drilling is required, it is quick to install/remove, and adjustable.  Unfortunately, the Hobie H-Rail Kit for replacing the rear bungees are out of stock everywhere right now (except one location who is price gouging).  If push comes to shove I can always move the front rails to the back. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
I bought the Hobie sidekit outriggers for my first generation Hobie at least 8 years ago to bowfish, but never installed them. They have been in my basement this whole time. After seeing this thread, I kind of want to try them on my 2019 outback since I don't have to drill to install.