Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:24:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: outriggers for standing on kayak?  (Read 1978 times)

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
So a few weeks ago, I managed to flip my kayak for the first time trying to set the hook on a fat bass while standing in my OK Trident 13. This kayak is truly not meant for standing and fishing but I've been getting away with it so far until that day. Managed to lose minimal gear somehow but this of course led to a re-evaluation of the system.           

I'm likely going to invest in a much more standing-stable peddle powered platform next year sometime but I do plan on finishing out this season and fishing at least a part of the next on this kayak so I need a better solution. Enter the outrigger?

I'm looking at something like these:
https://yakgear.com/product/yakgear-kayak-canoe-outriggers-gen-2/#reviews

Those who have experience with these or similar on a more v-hull type kayak - do these allow you to actually stand confidently without flipping? What about if I just had one?
formerly known as smokeondawater

rbae

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I use the Spring Creek stabilizers on my Hobie Oasis and OK Malibu 2XL when I go crabbing.  They help a bit when I'm pulling 60+ lbs of crab pot and crabs back into my boat.  It also provides a bit of safety when I use my small outboard.

I'd say the stabilizers are more useful when I'm not moving.  they cause more drag than I'd like if I'm doing like 5+ mph and I haven't tried using them when sailing.  Another issue is that I've had the float turn on me which is not good if moving at any real speed and it's partially or fully submerged.  That might have been operator error on my part with not tightening it down enough.  You can also adjust the height but it's less easy to do when you're already on the water.

I'm trying to figure out how to get an ama and akas from an adventure island onto my oasis.  Might require some fabrication but right now I'm struggling to even get measurements so I can order the parts with some degree of confidence that it'll all work out.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Wouldn't it be easier to re-evaluate standing in a kayak?  :)  Even the fat ones will roll over on you, given the opportunity.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rbae

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
The only time I stand in my kayak is when I'm having a little fun spooking my spouse.  >:D  Although, someday I'm sure I'll end up in the water for being a turd.  Yes, even with the Spring Creek stabilizers or Hobie Sidekicks, it's still possible to imagine a scenario where you could capsize.  It's much harder to imagine that happening with the AI/TI amas.  The main reason I want one of those is for the ability to set up a trampoline for more real estate.  Sometimes, you just want to get the hell out of the vantage seat.  I don't care how comfy they are.  After pedaling for a few hours, your butt gets sore af.

Otherwise, I agree with tinker.  The cheap route is to just not do anything to 'rock the boat'.

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
The re-evaluation of what I'm doing led me to this point - that I really want something that I can stand up in for bass fishing ;D. It's just a night and day difference in certain techniques and viewing angles for my own personal enjoyment in that type of fishing.               

I can pull up a fully loaded crab pot or fight most puget sound rated fish perfectly fine in the trident13 if I'm seated but there is just a different feel when I'm walking a frog or flipping tight cover etc from the same position that just isn't ideal and I'm realizing that I value that aspect of the game just as much as the salty side of things after some time under my belt. I don't anticipate the majority of my time on a kayak spent surf launching so I hope it can be solved in a single platform. 
formerly known as smokeondawater

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Keep the  trident 13 and add a SUP to the quiver.  It's my favorite way to bass fish.