Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: New Hobie outback, what do I need now  (Read 2215 times)

Cally88

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Hi everyone,

I am new to kayak fishing in the river and salt....  I plan to pick up an Outback soon (probably) in the next month or two.  When I buy the kayak what should I get installed...  Specifically what is going to make my experience safer/more enjoyable.  I want to ease the financial burden by buying additions a few at a time.  I plan to eventually get:
1) Scotty rod holder
2) fish finder
3) yak power splitter
4) anchor trolley with anchor
5) possibly a down rigger
6) Lights

My question is when I purchase should I get the Yak power splitter installed so when I eventually get my electronics my splitter will be plug and play.  Is there anything else that I am missing that should be done before fishing.  I am really hoping to alleviate having to send my boat to the shop for additional days after bringing her home. 

My fishing will be mostly in the river/lakes and after I get some experience then moving onto the bays/ocean. 

Thanks
Lucas

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
What lights are you talkng about?  We had a recent discussion about why not to install navigation lights.  You might want to search for it.

I found it: https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=22292.msg231502#top
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 05:01:05 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Most of those additions are doable by yourself with a little bit of google and searching on this forum. 
You should also consider some personal safety equipment (it's actually more important than the fishing additions).  Depending on the water you intend to fish/kayak, you may need a drysuit or some form of hypothermia exposure protection.  Having a GPS for navigation, VHF radio for communication, obviously a PFD.  Lots of the basic safety needs are also covered in this forum and would be good for you to consider.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
^^ THIS ^^

If you look for the rules of any of the NWKA competitions (search on "ORC") their mandatory minimum safety gear is a good place to start.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Cally88

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
What lights are you talkng about?  We had a recent discussion about why not to install navigation lights.  You might want to search for it.

I found it: https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=22292.msg231502#top

Thanks interesting topic!  Initially I was thinking of port/starboard lights, but now only a white light, and probably an orange flag.

Most of those additions are doable by yourself with a little bit of google and searching on this forum. 
You should also consider some personal safety equipment (it's actually more important than the fishing additions).  Depending on the water you intend to fish/kayak, you may need a drysuit or some form of hypothermia exposure protection.  Having a GPS for navigation, VHF radio for communication, obviously a PFD.  Lots of the basic safety needs are also covered in this forum and would be good for you to consider.

I do already have some safety gear (PFD, whistle, wetsuit)  Probably not a good idea, but thought about using my waders and a paddle jacket (the ones with gaskets) I will probably regret saying that.....  after writing it it sounds like a terrible idea.

Would you recommend getting a GPS capable fish finder initially or some sort of handheld GPS device?  I would also be getting a marine radio.  Does anyone carry a flare device?

I will look up the NWKA competitions also.

Thanks

T Coastal

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
I personally went with a Garmin Stryker as my first kayak fish finder because it had GPS for $100. It wasn't the best but more than enough for the couple miles offshore I ever went. I do carry a flare gun in my PFD but do not think it is very common. It only takes up a little room though and you never know ;)
2020 Hobie Outback
2018 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I'd hold off from the anchor trolley and downrigger until you determine you really need em. They could end up being extraneous items. Float the river a few times without an anchor, and if you find yourself really missing it, then install the trolley. Similar deal with the downrigger on a lake/ocean.

As for a depthfinder, I highly recommend buying one with a chart plotter/GPS. It helps immensely for both fishing and navigation. The Lowrance Hook 2 series is an affordable depthfinder/chart plotter combo. Also throw a compass in there somewhere, in case your depthfinder runs out of juice when you're in a fog bank.

I don't carry a flare device, but I do have a small Mag Light in my PFD, along with a whistle. Just gotta ensure the Mag Light battery is good and working before you head out. A bilge pump is a good thing to have as well.

I try to keep my deck space open and reduce the amount of "stuff" I bring out with me. The more "stuff" you have on your kayak (rod holders, camera booms, downriggers, etc.), the more difficult it could be to self-rescue. Something to keep in mind before installing all the bells n whistles. Happy modding!
aMayesing Bros.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I'd hold off from the anchor trolley and downrigger until you determine you really need em. They could end up being extraneous items. Float the river a few times without an anchor, and if you find yourself really missing it, then install the trolley. Similar deal with the downrigger on a lake/ocean.

As for a depthfinder, I highly recommend buying one with a chart plotter/GPS. It helps immensely for both fishing and navigation. The Lowrance Hook 2 series is an affordable depthfinder/chart plotter combo. Also throw a compass in there somewhere, in case your depthfinder runs out of juice when you're in a fog bank.

I don't carry a flare device, but I do have a small Mag Light in my PFD, along with a whistle. Just gotta ensure the Mag Light battery is good and working before you head out. A bilge pump is a good thing to have as well.

I try to keep my deck space open and reduce the amount of "stuff" I bring out with me. The more "stuff" you have on your kayak (rod holders, camera booms, downriggers, etc.), the more difficult it could be to self-rescue. Something to keep in mind before installing all the bells n whistles. Happy modding!

after several configurations, this is what I am going with on my Outback for rod holders and sonar, everything on the right side, keeps the left side clear for netting or hanging my legs over the side.  I use this for salmon trolling and bottom fishing/crabbing.

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I wear a surfing wet suit in the salt, started with neoprene waders but they were just to cumbersome to use. Wetsuit is fine several of us wear them on the water, just remember no relief zipper unless you add one. Get a real honest to god compass and keep it in your pfd, with your vhf radio attached as well. If you go in the drink you’ll likely need to shake and blow the water out of your mic or no one will know what your actually saying. Go out with minimal gear and practice reentry.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”