Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:52:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 7 Places to Launch and Fish on The Strait of Juan De Fuca  (Read 2070 times)

Beachmaster90

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Hey y'all,

After writing an article about kayak halibut fishing, I got a lot of positive feedback and had a few people ask about good places to go.

I'm not trying to blow up anyone's secret spot, so I wrote an article about seven well-known (but still good!) spots to fish on the strait where halibut are a possibility.

Hope its helpful!

https://www.huntfishharvest.com/2020/08/18/seven-places-to-kayak-fish-in-the-strait-of-juan-de-fuca/

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Ya got any waypoints?

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Fantastic write-up. Only thing I'd add is - while freshwater bay is largely secluded and calm, the area just off the east edge of the bay - the mouth of the Elwa - can get very nasty, very quick, when the tide changes. I'm talking greasy, glassy waters to standing waves and +4kt currents in minutes
 The only time I really got scared for my life on the kayak was right there. I shoulda realized all the power boaters were leaving at the same time for a reason!

Spelunker

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
Man what helpful info! I'm sure you're gonna ruffle some feathers with putting this stuff online but I certainly appreciate it.

I met and fished with your friend Nate and seal and sail this weekend. Good dude and a good fisherman!

Beachmaster90

• Rockfish
Ya got any waypoints?

Those only go to best friends and family, sorry!  :)

Beachmaster90

• Rockfish
Man what helpful info! I'm sure you're gonna ruffle some feathers with putting this stuff online but I certainly appreciate it.

I met and fished with your friend Nate and seal and sail this weekend. Good dude and a good fisherman!

Nate's an excellent fisherman and a best friend of mine - we'll be elk hunting together in a couple weeks. Wish I could have been there last weekend, sounds like it was fun.

Not too worried about ruffling feathers by encouraging kayakers to fish in places that are already popular for power boats.

Beachmaster90

• Rockfish
Fantastic write-up. Only thing I'd add is - while freshwater bay is largely secluded and calm, the area just off the east edge of the bay - the mouth of the Elwa - can get very nasty, very quick, when the tide changes. I'm talking greasy, glassy waters to standing waves and +4kt currents in minutes
 The only time I really got scared for my life on the kayak was right there. I shoulda realized all the power boaters were leaving at the same time for a reason!

Great point! I haven't fished that far east from the freshwater launch yet but I have definitely considered paddling or even launching over there. That's good stuff to know, thanks for sharing!

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I have a good friend who lives about a mile or two from mouth of Elwha. Every time I visit I wonder about fishing the area. (He’s not into fishing) so I really appreciated your article.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

rustyski

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Nice write up! Definitely adding some of these to my google maps.
Boats:
2019 Hobie Outback

Event Finishes:
2020 AOTY 5th Place
2020 Tiny Fish Slam Winner
2019 Tiny Fish Slam 2nd

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013

Great point! I haven't fished that far east from the freshwater launch yet but I have definitely considered paddling or even launching over there. That's good stuff to know, thanks for sharing!

Question - is the change you describe there *just* the river bar area right off the mouth, or more generally across the eastern portion of the bay?  Now that the river is re-naturalized and carries sediment down, I'm sure the bar is quite a bit more substantial...
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
no clue. all i know is....me no likey.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
no clue. all i know is....me no likey.

Indeed...  There is a fairly small zone just outside Gig Harbor where the change of tides can create sloppy, chaotic waves with no (all) particular directions.  One off Point Defiance too, I hear, but have not paddled that side.  Smooth waters all around, then this mess.  I imagine these examples are due to the combination of the underwater topography forcing masses of water flowing in opposite directions into collision.  The Elwha flowing over the bar it has built up the last few years could create the same effect, but I don't think it would be very widespread.
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

BasinYakGuy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
wish I could have kayak fished while I was stationed at NAS Whidbey.
1st Place at your moms house 2022
3rd place to your sisters prom 2019

Plastic Pirate