Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:38:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: DIY electric downrigger  (Read 3761 times)

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Having a paddle kayak, I hated trying to use a manual downrigger, so devised this one....I've taken it out twice now and it works great.  Could use some refinement, but overall it's an amazing upgrade from the hand crank that I was using. 

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Having a paddle kayak, I hated trying to use a manual downrigger, so devised this one....I've taken it out twice now and it works great.  Could use some refinement, but overall it's an amazing upgrade from the hand crank that I was using. 

Genius. Whats the FPS on the retrieval?

BentRod

• Rockfish

Genius. Whats the FPS on the retrieval?

Thanks!  That's a good question.  I'm not sure.  The spool is about 12" in diameter, so about one foot per turn.  I will say I was afraid to engage the switch to full throttle as the retrieve was too fast for my comfort.  I hope to get it out for more beta testing soon and will try to get some video of it in action. 

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
That’s freakin slick man, Nice work..........now if I only fished where I need a down rigger.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
That's way cheaper than the used electric fishing reel that I bought!

What size battery are you using?

Slick!

BentRod

• Rockfish
That's way cheaper than the used electric fishing reel that I bought!

What size battery are you using?

Slick!

Thanks.  I'm just using a 7 to 8 amp hour lead acid universal battery. Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Battery-ML8-12-BATTERY/dp/B00K8V2ZJA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=8ah+battery&qid=1598069781&sr=8-3

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Great idea!  At one time I was going to do something similar using a stepper motor and an Arduino board with a motor driver.  Then I was going to have a lcd screen with a touch pad so I could send commands for it to drop to the exact depth I wanted. But since I have not fished for Kokanee for about 8 years I abandoned the project.  Your idea is much simpler and works.  If you put a normally closed microswitch at the top in series, you could just flip the switch to retrieve and it would automatically shut off when it hits the switch. But then, you would have to manually release it a bit to close the switch again before deploying.

I really like how you are driving the downrigger with this. Now you have me thinking again...

I wonder if one of these would provide enough torque. I hate to destroy my Dewalt power tools. ;) https://www.banggood.com/GW4058-31ZY-Double-Shaft-DC-Motor-12V24V-110rpm220rpm-Reduction-Motor-Worm-Gear-Gear-Box-Motor-p-1357185.html?rmmds=category&ID=520831&cur_warehouse=CN 
At 220 rpms and one foot per rotation, this would probably be fast enough for me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:16:56 AM by craig »

BentRod

• Rockfish
Great idea!  At one time I was going to do something similar using a stepper motor and an Arduino board with a motor driver.  Then I was going to have a lcd screen with a touch pad so I could send commands for it to drop to the exact depth I wanted. But since I have not fished for Kokanee for about 8 years I abandoned the project.  Your idea is much simpler and works.  If you put a normally closed microswitch at the top in series, you could just flip the switch to retrieve and it would automatically shut off when it hits the switch. But then, you would have to manually release it a bit to close the switch again before deploying.

I really like how you are driving the downrigger with this. Now you have me thinking again...

I wonder if one of these would provide enough torque. I hate to destroy my Dewalt power tools. ;) https://www.banggood.com/GW4058-31ZY-Double-Shaft-DC-Motor-12V24V-110rpm220rpm-Reduction-Motor-Worm-Gear-Gear-Box-Motor-p-1357185.html?rmmds=category&ID=520831&cur_warehouse=CN 
At 220 rpms and one foot per rotation, this would probably be fast enough for me.

I'm sure that would work, but might be overkill...unless you're wanting to use 12# balls maybe.  I got the drills I'm using for free via local classifieds.  Lots of people will give them away because the batteries are dead and it's cheaper to buy a new drill vs replace the battery.  I just picked up a Ryobi 18v that seems like it might be even better suited than the DeWalt for what I want it for.  The newer drills have LOTS of torque, so for the 4lb ball I'm using it's a piece of cake. I've also seen on the web where people have used automotive windshield wiper motors...also plenty of torque.  I think you can get those for about $10 on Amazon. 

I did want an automatic retrieve with a limit/kill switch, but I find that sometimes weeds will get caught on the line and think it might prematurely shut the retrieve off. 

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

The motor out of a scotty downrigger is $60.

https://johnssportinggoods.com/product/downriggers/scotty-parts/scotty-12v-motor/

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Great Job!  What a fun project.  That would be great to have DR control with a mounted trigger switch!!  Excellent.

BentRod

• Rockfish
FWIW - I just found out the line spool I'm using is a spindle pulley out of a lawn tractor.  The circumference of where the line lays is about 12", so a foot per turn.  Works out well for measurements, but I'm using my sonar to set the ball depth, so a non-issue at the moment. 

https://www.amazon.com/Spindle-Pulley-Replaces-Husqvarna-532195945/dp/B071GDYLF1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=195945&qid=1598202797&sr=8-1

BentRod

• Rockfish
I added a DIY depth counter to this contraption.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I added a DIY depth counter to this contraption.

Man, that's creative as all get out. Thanks for presenting this as an option. Might have to soup up my manual DR this winter...

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
That is brilliant!

BentRod

• Rockfish
Thanks All.  Like all things DIY, I'm sure this could be improved upon in many ways.  If anyone does a similar build I'd love to see what you did. 

Also, when I eventually upgrade my kayak to a pedal drive version (possibly Old Town Sportsman PDL) I will need to make some changes to the layout/build.  So, I'd be really curious to see anyone's setup that combines a pedal drive with this type of build.  FWIW. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 06:05:53 AM by BentRod »