Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:57:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: DIY electric downrigger  (Read 3760 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
This is good stuff. I love it.

I may try something similar this winter.  I really don't need one, but yet the challenge makes me want one.  I still need to finish my powered kayak cart that is controlled wirelessly (a third of a mile of sugar sand kills me at my age).  Right now I am using 433mhz transmitter/receiver combos but I want to go bluetooth so all I need is my phone. I have milled the components for the "transmission."   I just need to figure out how best to protect the electronics.  As of now, the Dewalt 20 V will be the power source.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:09:49 PM by craig »

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
This is good stuff. I love it.

I may try something similar this winter.  I really don't need one, but yet the challenge makes me want one.  I still need to finish my powered kayak cart that is controlled wirelessly (a third of a mile of sugar sand kills me at my age).  Right now I am using 433mhz transmitter/receiver combos but I want to go bluetooth so all I need is my phone. I have milled the components for the "transmission."   I just need to figure out how best to protect the electronics.  As of now, the Dewalt 20 V will be the power source.

Whoa!  You sound like you've got advanced engineering skills...When you get that cart done send some videos of it in action!  That sounds cool. 

craig

• Sturgeon
I got my engineering skillz from Youtube University with a degree in Trial and Error leaning more towards the latter.  Instructables has a lot of great projects to start from and modify, as well. 

I started by building a CNC machine by hand  about 4 years ago. That is where I forced myself into learning about micro-controllers. Now I am using it to mill the upgraded aluminum parts to make it mo betta and I am wrapping up a CNC lathe build for making a custom fish bonker. I just need to find a 3D model of a lingcod or Cabby since they are the right shape. ;D  Covid was the key to increasing my Fusion 360 CAD skills. 

BentRod

• Rockfish
I got my engineering skillz from Youtube University with a degree in Trial and Error leaning more towards the latter.  Instructables has a lot of great projects to start from and modify, as well. 

I started by building a CNC machine by hand  about 4 years ago. That is where I forced myself into learning about micro-controllers. Now I am using it to mill the upgraded aluminum parts to make it mo betta and I am wrapping up a CNC lathe build for making a custom fish bonker. I just need to find a 3D model of a lingcod or Cabby since they are the right shape. ;D  Covid was the key to increasing my Fusion 360 CAD skills.

HA!  You sound like an advanced version of me!   :D

So, I've given this build some good beta testing and so far it's darn near exceeded my expectations.  The only thing I occasionally get now is a skip during retrieve that creates a minor loose wrap during retrieve.  Not detrimental, but a small glitch I wouldn't mind solving.  Think I have an idea what's causing it, but need to do some more testing. 

Now, today's trip really solidified my love of this electric kayak DR build.  I've been testing this unit on Lake Sammamish for Cutthroat trout and have caught plenty since using this new setup.  Well, today I couldn't find any Cutthroat, but on the way back to the launch I hooked a 20 lb King that took me for a ride.  Ultralight rod and 10lb test made for a fun fight.  Wish I had a GoPro, but at least I got a little video.  So glad I brought the ball up while fighting this fish as at the boat it kept going underneath and surely would have wrapped around the DR line.  Safely released back to the depths. 

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:10:24 PM by BentRod »

craig

• Sturgeon
I am sold! Nice fish.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Bentrod - You used a 'Normally Open' reed switch, correct? I'm teaching myself a bit about reed switches right now but would like to confirm before I buy some.

Seattle area folks: Looks like I'll have at least a couple of reed switches to spare; hit me up if you'd like one.

BentRod

• Rockfish
Yes, I believe when the magnet passes by the switch it closes the switch to complete the circuit.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Yes, I believe when the magnet passes by the switch it closes the switch to complete the circuit.

Thank you for confirming :)

BentRod

• Rockfish
Quick update...I still LOVE this DR build!  I've fished for Coho locally this last week and it's worked beautifully......I even had a fish try to wrap itself around the DR line yesterday, but because of the electric hands free retrieve feature I was able to avert disaster and landed a beauty. 

I've used this thing a lot now and so far it's performed flawlessly.  I do wish I had an integrated automatic line counter, but with enough effort I'm sure that can be arranged...otherwise totally happy. 

b0w_bender

• Herring
  • Pat Moore - in Issaquah Wa.
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
Hi Daryl, I just found this thread and said gee my friend Daryl made one a lot like this. Then I looked at the info on the OP and saw it was you nice thread :-).

To the rest of the readers I have seen this in action and it works slicker than frog snot!

Pat
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:45:56 AM by b0w_bender »
"Experience" is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. 
If you teach a kid to Shoot or fish you will be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles.

BentRod

• Rockfish
Hi Daryl, I just found this thread and said gee my friend Daryl made one a lot like this. Then I looked at the info on the OP and saw it was you nice thread :-).

To the rest of the readers I have seen this in action and it works slicker than frog snot!

Pat

Thanks Pat!  Some day I hope to modify it for a pedal kayak.   :D

anything