Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:34:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Review of SAI Super Rudder and Super Rudder XL  (Read 2844 times)

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
The initial testing of the SAI Aluminum Super Rudder is very positive.  I only got out once this past weekend but it did perform very well.  There was no hesitation in the response.  When I turned the rudder the kayak responded instantly.  Going back across Coos Bay after fishing it was pretty sloppy with lots of wind and the kayak tracked well.  There wasn't as much current as there was that day on Tillamook Bay so I don't really have a real apples to apples comparison but so far I am happy with the purchase.  I did have one "Uh-Oh" moment this weekend, while coming back across the bay I ran aground  on a rock that was just under the surface.  Luckily my kick-up fins did what they were supposed to do and the rudder took the hit like a champ.  The one issue I have with it so far is I don't like the spacers that the rudders come with.  I don't know what kind of plastic they are made out of but they feel very rough and you have to leave the bolt that goes through loose so that the rudder will spring down when deployed.  I might try sanding them with a very fine sand paper to see if I can smooth them out some. 
I plan on doing a full video review on this rudder and I also sprung for the Rudder XL to see if it's worth the extra $10 for the bigger rudder.  I have vacation this week so I am hoping to get that done this week.  Stay Tuned!
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Try polishing it after sanding, I have some metal polish if you need to borrow it.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
The issue is with the plastic spacer not the aluminum.  I dont know if it's 3d printed or just cut out and milled but it's rough.  Here are some pictures.
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Got some plastic polish as well.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
I just spent the last few hours at Hagg Lake trying out the different rudders and practicing self rescue in the new Outback.  I still have video footage to go through but initial feel to me is there is no real difference between the two rudders.  The XL one doesn't seem to turn any sharper or respond any faster then the regular sized rudder.  They both are improvements over the original plastic one though.  They both turn instantly compared to the original.  I did feel that the XL sized rudder almost acted like a brake if turned full one way or the other.  While pedaling at a good clip I turned it full to the right and it turned but you could feel the drag on the rudder and you could feel the kayak slow.  I didn't feel this nearly as pronounced with the regular sized one.  These are my initial feelings but like I said I still have the video to go through to verify if these assumptions are correct.  If you use the loading block on the back of your Outback then stick with the SAI Super Rudder, you won't be giving up too much, if any, performance with it versus the Super Rudder XL.

On a side note, it is MUCH easier to get back into my new Outback versus my 2015 model.  No more "fat-guy" step for me  ;D
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Ok, Here is the video review of the SAI Super Rudder.  Enjoy!

Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
That plastic looks strange, but I honestly can't tell from the photo.  It should be Delrin or - my second choice -  HDPE.  Well, to be honest I would probably go HDPE (Starboard or plain old kitchen cutting board) as the first choice because it is much cheaper and so am I.  They are both self lubricating plastics and are used for bushings.  I would hope they aren't 3D printed. If so, that is a crap addition to an aluminum rudder.  If the rudder is cut with a CNC mill, I would hope the manufacturer would use the appropriate plastics also milled on the same CNC.  What are the dimensions? That would be like a 2 minute job in creating the CAD file and about the same amount of time to cut it. 

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
That plastic looks strange, but I honestly can't tell from the photo.  It should be Delrin or - my second choice -  HDPE.  Well, to be honest I would probably go HDPE (Starboard or plain old kitchen cutting board) as the first choice because it is much cheaper and so am I.  They are both self lubricating plastics and are used for bushings.  I would hope they aren't 3D printed. If so, that is a crap addition to an aluminum rudder.  If the rudder is cut with a CNC mill, I would hope the manufacturer would use the appropriate plastics also milled on the same CNC.  What are the dimensions? That would be like a 2 minute job in creating the CAD file and about the same amount of time to cut it.

Yeah, I didn't mention it in my video but I did mention it in one of my posts that I wasn't a fan of the spacer material.  I don't have a set of calipers but I can do my best to measure it with a tape measure if you want some dimensions.  Since I have two sets of the spacers I could send you one of the spacers and you can look at it yourself, if you want.
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Do those rudders drop any easier than than the factory rudder? I always have to jiggle mine a lot to get it to drop. So much so, that I feel like I am stretching the rudder cables.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Do those rudders drop any easier than than the factory rudder? I always have to jiggle mine a lot to get it to drop. So much so, that I feel like I am stretching the rudder cables.
While the kayak is sitting upside down they don't want to spring up but when the kayak is right side up they drop without issue, even in the water I never had an issue with either one deploying.  I did leave the bolt that goes through them a little loose to make sure that they drop. 
On a side note, I do want to replace the ny-lock nut that the bolt goes into.  With changing out the rudders so many times I'm sure it's not holding like it should and the last thing I want is to lose one of my shiny new rudders...
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
While the kayak is sitting upside down they don't want to spring up but when the kayak is right side up they drop without issue, even in the water I never had an issue with either one deploying.  I did leave the bolt that goes through them a little loose to make sure that they drop. 
On a side note, I do want to replace the ny-lock nut that the bolt goes into.  With changing out the rudders so many times I'm sure it's not holding like it should and the last thing I want is to lose one of my shiny new rudders...

Did you have any issues with your factory rudder sticking?

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon

Did you have any issues with your factory rudder sticking?
No, I haven't.  If yours is sticking you can try to loosen the bolt a little.  Maybe its pinching on the rudder too much.  There is a lot of tension on the rudder by the spring and the only way that it wont drop is if the bolts too tight and clamping on the rudder too much.  You can try taking the rudder all the way out too and make sure there isn't something in there causing it to stick.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:26:52 PM by hdpwipmonkey »
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
I've loosened mine quite a bit, to the point I'm already afraid it's too lose. I've also waxed the cables, and taken it all apart. I'll check for a pinch.