Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:43:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Braided VS Mono  (Read 4581 times)

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
why using braided line when braided line cut your fishing pole eye loop?

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
It doesn't if your rod has decent guides.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Ive been using braid exclusively for the past 20 years and never had an issue with ceramic guides.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
The only time braid has cut the ceramic on my guides is when using it with light trout rods (6'6" light action spinning, various brands). I think it's due to the ceramic on those guides being extra thin, and the 10 pound braid also being thin enough to cut through the ceramic. However, I've never had this issue with 20 pound braid or heavier on bigger gear. Thicker braid is less likely to be able to cut through the ceramic.

I still run straight mono for certain applications, but braid blows mono away in terms of castability, sensitivity, diameter, strength, longevity, etc. What rod is giving you the guide cutting issues?
aMayesing Bros.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I've used nothing but 10# Berkley Fireline on 7'0" - 8'0" ultralight spinning rods for years and haven't yet damaged a guide.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
If I understand what you guys are saying, I should be fine using braided line with a Lamiglas Kenai pro rod with 20 or 30 lbs braided line. I use this set up for kokanee and salmon and a lamiglas trolling rod with 40 lbs mono line on a baitcasting reel.

Thanks for clear that up for me.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
When I used to go on a charter boat for salmon down in the bay area, I fished with braid. the line leaves almost no wake.  It made a difference. When I am jigging off the bottom for rockfish, no difference. what so ever. But if I hang up then I notice problems when I am trying to break off. Braid can be a lot tougher to break off, and often I just cut away.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I understand where Showa is coming from. I had a Browning combo bait faster set up that got mostly destroyed by braid. Spider wire ate they the level wimd guide, and cut all but one of the guides deeply.

Admittedly this was 20+ years ago. Since then we've got better guides that can handle braid, but some of the cheaper rods makers still don't lay out for the better guides, so we get the same old problem all over again   

Oh, and, hey, Squidder? Westport charter boats, at least Deep Sea Charters, won't allow braided line on the boats. They claim its a safety hazard for the deckhands and the rest of the clients. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:01:00 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Braids all I use, to break off peddle away with the rod over the shoulder and your thumb on the spool full drag on. If paddling wrapped around a fish bat under your leg bat only not line. Paddle away. I’ve broke 30lb braid this way and straighten hooks.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have found no reason to use braid for my primary ling/can UglyStick 6'6" medium heavy/Abu 6500 bait caster setup. 20lb Berkeley BG mono is cheap and durable, yet breaks off as needed.

On my cheap ass UglyStick 6'6" lite/Shimano Sienna 2500 setup, I found spooling it with 10-12 lb PowerPro and adding 20' of 10lb Berkeley BG mono works great for damn near every rockfish, ling, cab, etc without issue. The mono top shot allows for some stretch and better breakoffs as needed. A simple improved Albright knot is all that is needed between the two.

I just use the same Abu 6500 with the 20lb Berkeley BG for salmon, but on a different rod. Works just fine.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Braids all I use, to break off peddle away with the rod over the shoulder and your thumb on the spool full drag on. If paddling wrapped around a fish bat under your leg bat only not line. Paddle away. I’ve broke 30lb braid this way and straighten hooks.

When you do this, where does it usually break off at and how much braid do you leave tied to the bottom of the drink each time?

My mono usually breaks off within 2'-5' of the hook due to the nature of the line getting the heaviest abrasions in that area during bottom banging jig sessions.  My 20' of 10lb mono top shot will last me two seasons before I need to cut it off and add another 20'.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I rig my jigging reels with 30 pound braid, with a 15-20 pound mono leader.  Because braid has almost no stretch, it's very sensitive to nibbles and bites, it provides instant hook sets, and it gives you good control of the action of your lure.  By comparison, to me, jigging with mono feels like fishing with a bungie cord.  Using a lighter leader than my braid main line lets me break off the leader if I snag a lure on the bottom. I don't remember the last time I had to break or cut off my braid main line.  I use yellow or bright green hi-visibility braid because I find it helpful to be able to see my line between the tip of my rod and the water, and it can often be hard to see dark green braid against the surface of the water.

Braided line has never damaged any of my line guides.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

When you do this, where does it usually break off at and how much braid do you leave tied to the bottom of the drink each time?

My mono usually breaks off within 2'-5' of the hook due to the nature of the line getting the heaviest abrasions in that area during bottom banging jig sessions.  My 20' of 10lb mono top shot will last me two seasons before I need to cut it off and add another 20'.
I tie double surgeons knots to my snap swivels and usually it breaks at the swivel most of the time giving me back part of the swivel or the hook straightens part of the time, occasionally it breaks fairly close or at the knot cuz I real in most of what’s in the water.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

T Coastal

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
While we're talking about braid, I made the switch like 13 years ago, I exclusivity use 65# Power pro on almost EVERY reel I fish with. Big species get 30-50lb mono leader, smaller ones get 10-20lb leader. It works for every style of fishing, lasts years and years. I have one spool going on 6 years and I plan to use it again for a 7th. If you buy bulk 1500 yard spools it's so much cheaper than buying mono every couple years. Have never seen it cut into guides on my own rods.
2020 Hobie Outback
2018 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't entirely agree that PowerPro works with every type of fishing.  If you're casting, its flatter cross-section allows it to float in the wind and thst can make a horrible mess.  On spinning reels, I always used a more rounded round braid (like Fireline or the Daiwa braids).  I don't guess it matters that much if you're jigging, but it makes a difference when you cast and retrieve all day.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...