Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:06:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak Fishing with Whales and an Epic Rockfish Bite  (Read 2657 times)

uplandsandpiper

I have been needing to get away from the scorched landscape that now surrounds my home to enjoy some down time. I decided a trip to the OP was in order and I've been eager to get out in the salt. I fished Seal and Sail last week. Due to the big exchanges around the full moon I planned a 3 hour trip around high tide slack in the middle of the day. Shortly after arriving on the fishing grounds I was joined by two pairs of Grey Whales. It took a little while to locate any fish and I mostly scratched up the odd Greenling, Lingcod, and Copper until I stumbled into a massive school of big Black Rockfish surface feeding. From that point on I had 90 minutes of absolutely lights out fishing. I have not had that much fun in a long time. Saw lots of great birds as well and a couple Sea Otters in the dense fog.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 03:19:23 PM by uplandsandpiper »

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Great to see the whales. Wide open black rockfish bites are lots of fun!. I have also found them more and more in central and northern Puget Sound while targeting lingcod, every so often I would see a big school mid water and wonder what they were until connecting with them and then it can be non-stop, even if you tried to get to the bottom for lingcod they would get it first coming down. It hear they taste great, never tried a black rockfish, all rockfish catch and release where I fish, lots of fun still!.

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I caught more coppers out there in 3 days this year than I've caught in the past 5 years. Most of them were quite large. Great to see.

I could do without the China's though. They get barotrauma in 30FOW.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Looks like a blast! Makes me want to get up there next year!

Curious with your kayak, do you like those forward facing flush mount rod holders next to the seat? Thinking of adding some to my Hobie to help stage a rod when rigging it up or while dealing with a fish in the net.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

Interesting. I released a china in ~90FOW in August and it swam straight down. Must be related to more factors than just depth. Maybe something they're eating?

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018

Interesting. I released a china in ~90FOW in August and it swam straight down. Must be related to more factors than just depth. Maybe something they're eating?

Too many beans? (sorry I couldn't help it)
In my experience depth at which you caught the fish and size of the fish matters, larger fish seem able to swim faster down than smaller fish. Haven't noticed differences among rockfish species, but then again I don't target them as often given my usual fishing grounds and they come as by-catch. CDFW has an article on barotrauma, use of descending devices and interesting pictures and videos of canary and china rockfish re-compression.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Groundfish/Barotrauma

I only have a basic descending device, I have used the SeaQualizer on a friends power boat and it works great, it is quite pricey, anyone has any leads on how to get them for less $$$ ?

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I only have a basic descending device, I have used the SeaQualizer on a friends power boat and it works great, it is quite pricey, anyone has any leads on how to get them for less $$$ ?

A large weight, an upside-down big hook with the barb removed, and a line. That's the most basic setup and works fine.

I use this one: http://www.sheltonproducts.com/SFD.html

The main piece of advice is that you'll need more lead below the device than you'd expect. I didn't heed the warnings of others and assumed a couple of 4oz jigs would sink a yelloweye - I was wrong. (I did, eventually, get the fish down.) I recommend a 1lb. or heavier weight.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Fun vid, USP! You forgot how much fun fishing in the salt is, didn't you?  ;D

uplandsandpiper

Fun vid, USP! You forgot how much fun fishing in the salt is, didn't you?  ;D

I do miss it a lot. A lot I miss about the westside but do enjoy the great variety of freshwater fisheries available to me here on the east side.

HuyFishin

• Perch
  • Huyfishin Youtube page.
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Very well done!

How do you like your sportsman 120!

uplandsandpiper

Very well done!

How do you like your sportsman 120!

I love it. The hands free reverse is awesome. Its super stable and comfy to fish from. I have so much more space than in my Revo it just makes kayak fishing such a delight.

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
How's your speed against the wind and tide compared to a Revo?

Yak fisher

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Great video!, Thanks for sharing it. All catch and release where I'm fishing.

uplandsandpiper

How's your speed against the wind and tide compared to a Revo?

About 0.5 mph slower. They have another PDL called the Salty which is faster that intrigues me.