Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:13:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kokatat Dry Suit Sizing  (Read 5165 times)

tequilablob

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2019
Hi guys,

Looking into getting a Kokatat Drysuit, but wondering what people’s experiences have been. I usually wear medium for everything, but looking at Kokatat’s sizing chart, it seems like their drysuits are rather on the slim side. So I’m wondering if going with the L is the right thing to do.

I’m 5’7”, Chest = 39”, Waist = 36”, Hips = 40.5”

What’s your experience with how these fit?

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Inseam is also important.  Just for reference, I just fit in a Large at 6'2" with a 36" waist and an leg inseam of about 33".  Girth-wise the suit is great but height-wise, I just fit.  I tried the X-Large but the waist was huge on me.  You can custom order through Kokatat but you won't get a special deals, at least as far as I know.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Go to a Kokatat dealer and try the suits on to be sure. I think you're located in Seattle area, so I recommend Outdoor Emporium. They recently received a new shipment of various sizes. Also, if you plan to fish the Winter months, consider the added bulk of layer(s) you'll wear underneath.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
 Dont forget to sit down in a kayak with the suit on and wear bulky clothing underneath.  I made that mistake and regret it.  I am 6'-1"ish and 210lb, 35" waist.  I got a large Kokatat.  Fits fine when I am standing, but is definitely tight on length when sitting.  Makes moving around on the boat more of a pain than it needs to be, stretching to the bow, stern well, etc. 

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
5'11", 33" waist, 32" inseam, about 170 lbs, and the large fits me just right.

Obviously you want a good fit but I would definitely err on the side of larger if you are in-between sizes.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I believe Kokatat has some tailoring options too if you order direct. Clearly paying full MSRP at that point plus maybe a premium, but if you are that inbetween sizes could work. 

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
u need to find a dealer to go try on, but i think the large would be ur size. make sure u allow to make room for what ur going to wear under. 

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Go to Kokatat's custom shop (https://kokatat.com/custom) pick a drysuit, go through the whole routine of putting in your measurements, and the site will spit out exactly what you need.  Use that to size the off-the-rack suit you want and request Kokatat alterations if necessary.  Works perfectly every time.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
When choosing a dry suit, be sure to get one big enough to handle several layers of warm clothing, so you can kayak comfortably and somewhat more safely in cold weather and cold water conditions.  Don't go for a sleek stylish look. The dry suit should look baggy when you aren't wearing much clothing underneath it.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
@ RedBeard: dude,I'm jealous.  Haven't seen those measurements since I was in 9th grade... Sure would make things easier when making clothing buys
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

tequilablob

• Krill
Thanks for all the answers. I ended up ordering the L since as many people mentioned, you need the extra room for layers.

Go to Kokatat's custom shop (https://kokatat.com/custom) pick a drysuit, go through the whole routine of putting in your measurements, and the site will spit out exactly what you need.  Use that to size the off-the-rack suit you want and request Kokatat alterations if necessary.  Works perfectly every time.

The tool above was a great suggestion, and it also confirmed I should be getting the L.

Anyway, the drysuit came in today and it fit great! The neck is a little tight though, but that should stretch out with use.

Thanks everybody for your answers!

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Anyway, the drysuit came in today and it fit great! The neck is a little tight though, but that should stretch out with use.
Yes, the neck gasket will stretch out with use. If the neck gasket is extremely tight, and I mean make-your-face-turn-red-and-your-voice-crack tight, put a large can or bottle in the gasket for a day or so until the gasket is  more comfortable.  Don't trim off the edge of the gasket unless the tightness is really extreme and stretching doesn't work, because if you do trim the gasket, when the gasket relaxes, it may be so loose that it doesn't adequately keep out water.  There is also the risk that you could trim off too much of the gasket. Don't trim your gasket!

tequilablob

• Krill
Yes, the neck gasket will stretch out with use. If the neck gasket is extremely tight, and I mean make-your-face-turn-red-and-your-voice-crack tight, put a large can or bottle in the gasket for a day or so until the gasket is  more comfortable.  Don't trim off the edge of the gasket unless the tightness is really extreme and stretching doesn't work, because if you do trim the gasket, when the gasket relaxes, it may be so loose that it doesn't adequately keep out water.  There is also the risk that you could trim off too much of the gasket. Don't trim your gasket!

Agreed! This is one part I researched quite a bit and to me, it seems like stretching it out with something similar in size to your neck would be preferable, and gradually increase in size if it's still too tight, than trimming the gasket and risk tears or like you said - trimming off too much. Can't put it back afterwards!

So it is currently stretching right now - will check it again after a few hours.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I'm in the trimming camp. I've even trimmed the wrist gaskets. It's not as scary as you think. Just use a really sharp pair of scissors and go slow. It makes a huge difference for me in terms of comfort, yes they do stretch but the diameter per se doesn't change much, mostly the tension.

There's also a danger in stretching out gaskets too much or at least that's what Kokatat told me.

The biggest issue with gaskets is their vulnerability taking them on and off. The only torn gaskets I've seen in 10+ years has been when someone with long nails tore a wrist gasket when taking it off.

Gaskets are not covered under warranty and are easy enough to get replaced so I'd encourage minor trimming vs stretching. It's way easier, more comfortable and I've had trimmed gaskets last 4+ years FWIW
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Also the gaskets have trimming guides, even the wrists so they clearly are designed to be trimmed
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org