Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Promar Ambush Hoop nets  (Read 2257 times)

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
  • Can't wait to catch my next fish!
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I’m from Southern Cal and will move to Washington in January 2021.  I have these lobster hoop nets that we use down here.  Does anyone use them for crabs in Washington?   I’ll probably need to unload them down here and go get the crab traps from one of the tackle shops in the area. 

Have not found the replacement home yet, then I’ll know where I’m going to be fishing. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all for any kindness provided in the the Pacific Northwest.

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15

rbae

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I use Danielson hoop nets which are pretty similar to what you have.  These are 36" on the bottom hoop with six welded bars to the top hoop and weigh about 15 lbs.  Honestly, I think they're pretty awesome.  They weigh enough that they don't need anything extra and all I generally do is attach a cheap alum carabiner to my line and another carabiner attached to a bait cage.

I can let them soak for as long as I want and not worry about the dungies getting bored and going elsewhere.  The downside is when I'm pulling up my traps, it sometimes takes a bit of muscle if there's lots of crab.  Sometimes it will be filled with lots of little ones.  Obviously, this can be an issue if you don't have a stabilizer or outrigger or if you're in rough waters.  I wish the netting where somehow more efficient to allow the undersized crab to escape.  The Promar 530s look a lot better in that regard but I can stack 3 of my hoop nets easily on my kayak and go anywhere.  The Promar 530s take up a lot more space on a kayak or in a vehicle.  I do plan to get some when I have a boat but they're not a good option at the moment.

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
Thank you Rbae,   Great advice here and I appreciate it!

The big TR-530 crab pots are huge when thinking about using on a kayak! 

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I guess having too many crabs is the net is a good problem to have.  I wouldn't let that discourage you from using them, especially if that's what you already have.  Plenty of people use them successfully.

-Allen

rbae

• Herring
Dave, I usually just dump them all in the hull and sort them out there.  But this doesn't work so well if my spouse is in the front of my Hobie Oasis.  She might not appreciate it.  The last time I went out, I simply culled the larger ones from the trap and flipped it over to dump the remaining crab before throwing it back in. 

It's the heaviness of the trap that is becoming difficult for me as I get older.  Wasn't an issue a couple years ago before I started having joint problems. 

I have a few of the collapsible Danielsons too (bought for a mere $16 each at Fisherman's Outdoor last year on unadvertised sale) but haven't put them to use yet. 

I'd love to be able to haul my ass down to the Channel Islands and go hoop netting for spiny lobster!  Let me know if you guys ever plan on doing a road trip to do that!

Richard

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
Good advice guys.   

Richard, I’m weighing dumping(good problem to have) a bunch of crabs in my Outback or Trident 15.   I went to CI last night for a skunk session.  They are doing their biannual dredging.  It’s crazy how they always want to do this during lobster season!  I’m going to Ventura Harbor tonight.  Need to get my Thanksgiving and Christmas lobsters.   

I’m getting stoked thinking about a crab and lingcod feast. 

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15

rbae

• Herring
Man, I'd much rather have lobster than turkey!  But then again, I want seafood every night.   :laugh:

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
Man, I'd much rather have lobster than turkey!  But then again, I want seafood every night.   :laugh:

The lobster is in addition to Smoked AND Fried Turkey! ;D ;)

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15

anything