Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:19:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 2017 Hobie Tandem Island - For Repair/Parts/Salvage - $1500 OBO  (Read 3952 times)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
2017 Hobie Tandem Island Hibiscus - Asking $1500 or best offer.

DISCLAIMER: This boat was rear ended while being trailered and is currently not water tight due to damage in the transom area. Buyer understands this prior to purchase and is purchasing knowing this boat will need to be repaired and or is only for parts. Additionally sale DOES NOT INCLUDE the two Vantage CT seats or Mirage drive MD180.

Boat was rear ended while being trailered and suffered damage in the transom area (pictured). Additionally the right Aka's sheared completely and there is damage to the Ama in the ports where the Akas locate. Due to the damage, the Ama is no longer water tight. Local Portland dealer judged the transom crack would be too difficult to repair successfully to make sense vs. totaling out. Someone ambitious could try to repair the crack in the transom. It could probably be made water tight, but it is not clear if it would retain full strength needed to support the rudder from sailing forces. Would need to purchase right aka's and a new Ama if one were to try and sail it. Additionally would need to procure new seats of some form.

My preference right now is to try to sell it whole, but will consider parting out if it does not sell in a couple weeks. Please message/email to discuss potential interest in parts even if you are not interested in the whole and we can talk.

What is broken:
- Main hull - Transom rack shown in picture, there is also surface damage in the stern area. The bow area by the hatch looks like it bulged out a bit, not clear if this is an original molding issue or damage from the crash. Additionally there are rows of hulls on the gunnels from where I removed some gear tracks (3/32" diameter, easily plugged)

- Rudder - Bottom of rudder chipped, it looks functional still, but may want to smooth some surfaces out to prevent rudder raise/lower line chafe.

- Right Aka and Ama - Akas sheared and ama has damage in the Aka ports. AMA IS NOT WATER TIGHT AND WOULD MOST LIKELY BE DIFFICULT TO REPAIR

What's not included:
- Seats and mirage drives - Transferring them to a new boat and they are not included in the sale.

What's good:
- Sail and mast are in good condition. No tears or rips in sail, but it could probably stand to be cleaned.
- Rest of the hull is complete and in good condition. All crossbars, rigging, lines, hatches, cleats, etc. are intact. Left Ama and Aka have no damage.

Boat is registered because it is a sailboat. Buyer is responsible for all title transfer process.

Photos available on craigslist post: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/portland-hobie-tandem-island-for-repair/7230108302.html

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Good luck on your sale.  I remember seeing photos of the rear end wreck.  I  will be curious to see if anyone bites at this price as it appears you are taking the valuable parts and the rest are broken.  Other than a few things you could strip from the hull this seems like a longshot to fix. 
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Shin09

• Salmon
I agree...long shot but if someone already has Hobies with Drives and Vantage seats could be an interesting project.  I am definitely open to offers and just threw the price out there as a starting point.   Didnt get a settlement for a full boat, so dealer doing me a real solid and is making me a deal to sell a new boat without drives and seats so I can transfer those over.

I think turning it into a true Island safe to sail is probably the longest shot, but if someone wanted just a tandem kayak to paddle or peddle, I think its very doable with minimal effort. 

The sail/mast really has the most value as a new sail+mast is close to $2k.  Even pricing on the used market at 30-40% of that still quite a bit of value.

There are also enough people out there that want to do projects adding amas to other kayaks that the cross bars, aka, and remaining Ama have value. 

Stripping the hull of twist and seal hatches, pulleys, blocks, etc. gives a pile of parts that have some value too.   

Shin09

• Salmon
Aaaaaannnnd sold!!!

rbae

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Nice!  Of course, I was hoping for the akas / ama but I'm glad you were able to find someone to buy the whole thing.  Hope they are successful repairing the hull and are able to get a lot more life out of that TI. 

Shin09

• Salmon
I am 100 percent surprised and 100 happy with how quick it sold. Had 2 offers but one guy ended up backing out last min. Guy who bought it was intending to fix it. I referenced him to Tyler (uplandsandpiper)to buy his oasis for the seats and drives. Dunno if he did though.

uplandsandpiper

I am 100 percent surprised and 100 happy with how quick it sold. Had 2 offers but one guy ended up backing out last min. Guy who bought it was intending to fix it. I referenced him to Tyler (uplandsandpiper)to buy his oasis for the seats and drives. Dunno if he did though.

Yup he bought my Oasis for $1250

rbae

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Both for $2750... that was quite the deal!

Shin09

• Salmon
Yeah if he is able to patch the hole in the island and procure a new ama/aka set for the right side he could have two functional boats for less than 4K and some sweat equity

Shin09

• Salmon
Appears the buyer fixed it and is reselling:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/gig-harbor-2017-hobie-island-tandem/7258090361.html

Kind of curious what he did here, since the right ama was busted in the sockets but since I am seeing the registration numbers it looks like he reused it...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Interesting that I see nothing in his add about it being previously repaired. Feel sorry for someone if they don’t know what to look for if he did the old  “used car lot repair” on it.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Interesting that I see nothing in his add about it being previously repaired. Feel sorry for someone if they don’t know what to look for if he did the old  “used car lot repair” on it.

They did the same w/ uplandSandPiper's busted Oasis hull -- I saw it posted on Facebook for 1,000 and it was gone w/in a few days. That post made no mention of the repair either. Not being up front about something like that leaves plenty to the imagination.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 05:46:25 PM by bogueYaker »

anything