Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:50:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:03:47 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: marine radios  (Read 3394 times)

Cally88

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
lets talk radio's..... what are you all using and what are your likes/dislikes... I think that most of my fishing for now will be in the bays/rivers. will I need a anything more than 3W transmission.

TIA, Cally

rbae

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I've got the Standard Horizon HX870 which is a pretty nice radio.  Unfortunately, I don't use it for much except an occasional weather report so I don't actually remember how to use the thing.  :P 

Also have a couple bao feng units but, again, never use them and have about forgotten how to work them... plus, there's the fact that they're not quite legit now according to the FCC.  The bao fengs aren't waterproof or marine units either.

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I got two marine VHF radios and am very happy about both, have used them for kayak fishing and motor boat fishery survey work:
1) Standard Horizon HX 300, floats, amazing battery life (it says 13 hs, I swear the thing goes beyond that), USB charging, 5W transmit: this is my standard use radio, going with a buddy or as a backup of #2 below
2) Standard Horizon HX 890, floats, good battery life (11 hs, varying depending on W used), DSC GPS transceiver (haven't needed it yet but essentially in a distress situation transmits the distressed position, nearby vessels, etc), 6W transmit (switchable 6/2/1W): this is my more heavy duty radio if I go a bit further, maybe lack a buddy, etc.

Look for reviews in this forum from previous years and other online places, the right fit may vary depending on your needs (radius of operation, floating or not, battery and charging options, distress features, etc) and budget. Keep in mind that Standard horizon and others tend to have rebates (last year it was $20 to $50 off). When making my selection I went for something that floated, was relatively easy to use and had DSC, then the HX 300 went on sale and couldn't resist to get a second one, less bulky and USB chargeable.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
From a kayak or in the water, you are so low to the horizon you'll lose line of sight before you run out of watts.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
  • Can't wait to catch my next fish!
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
From a kayak or in the water, you are so low to the horizon you'll lose line of sight before you run out of watts.

This is a fact.  When I go out about 2.5 miles in So Cal, I can't reach someone on shore unless they go up on a hill.  The same applies with FSR bands.  I was able to use both FSR and VHF from about 20 miles away.
Thank you all for any kindness provided in the the Pacific Northwest.

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020

This is a fact.  When I go out about 2.5 miles in So Cal, I can't reach someone on shore unless they go up on a hill.  The same applies with FSR bands.  I was able to use both FSR and VHF from about 20 miles away.

Thanks!  The line of sight and your personal 2.5 miles is good to know.  I need a marine radio and my tendency is to shoot for power which seems to be overkill for a kayak.  It sounds like HX300 is a viable option for the money. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

anything