Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Mussels?  (Read 6948 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm surrounded by acres and arces of mussels.  I like mussels and I know lots of ways to prepare store-bought mussels, but harvesting?  Not a clue - other than I've read about the technique (and to not damage neighboring mussels).

How does one choose the best mussels to harvest from the hundreds in a cluster?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
for me, it's the same as with oysters, it's all about size.  get some leather gloves, pennycutter scissors, and a prying implement.  The scissors and pry tool will help you select the size you are looking for.  Bigger mussel, bigger gut in them.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
You mean I don't have to sniff them?  Someone's in trouble now...

Thank you, al.  May I ask why I'd need penny cutter scissors?  I have no prejudices against them, I've simply never heard they were needed before now.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I use a small prybar what I bought at the dollar store for a dollar.

Avoid the super large ones, they will be tough. My rule of thumb is I take the ones that are as long as my thumb, but no longer than my traffic finger.

Give them a good rinse and a scrub with a stiff bristle brush to knock off the loose bits (again, dollar store wire brush works well) and the fibrous "beard" that holds them together you can grab and twist off with a longnose pliers (again, dollar store tool aisle is appropriate for this).

Do NOT do this in your kitchen sink. The beard fibers will absolutely destroy a disposal machine, and will also wreak havoc on a roto-rooter's blade set. Best to get two buckets - one with rinse water, and one over which you do the scrubbing and beard removal. Dispose in the yard as grey water. Dollar store dish pans work great for this, too !

Perfectly cromulent equipment for this comes from the dollar store, and if the tools rust (and they will) you don't really care.

The correct preparation is to open a jar of marinara and simmer the mussels in sauce until they open, served with lots of garlic bread.

Also, please don't just wrench a bunch off the rocks and discard the smalls. Those are the juveniles and need to be left where they are to grow for the future.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:58:49 AM by Pinstriper »
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you, Mr. striper, and bonus points for the first use of "cromulent" on NWKA.

This is all good to know, especially about size since a lot of the mussels around here are longer than that finger.  And I would never think of disturbing the small mussels.  The mere thought!

I long ago gave up hope of ever being allowed to clean any kind of game or fish indoors, but I wouldn't have expected the "beards" could be that much trouble.  You probably saved someone a sincere headache.

I appreciate this, and the chance to expand my vocabulary.

alpalmer

• Salmon
You mean I don't have to sniff them?  Someone's in trouble now...

Thank you, al.  May I ask why I'd need penny cutter scissors?  I have no prejudices against them, I've simply never heard they were needed before now.

The scissors help to cut away the mussel from "the pack".   The "beard" of the mussel can make it touch to tear the mussel off the rock.  cutting it off can make the selection process simpler.
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
--Edward Abbey--

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Excellent!  I'd have never thought of that trick.  Thank you.  Juvenile mussels worldwide thank you, too.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
The best place to start is the edge of the bed.  I don’t use any tools, just my hands.  If you locate a patch of gooseneck barnacles in the mussels you can start there to get purchase on the mussels.  The beds that are super tightly packed are the hardest to harvest.

Often there are different mussel species mixed in.  The California mussels get really big and are delicious.  They don’t tend to pack in as tightly as the other mussels do either.  I target the big ones most of the time.

Before you go out, always check the hotline for quarantines and closures.

https://www.oregon.gov/oda/programs/foodsafety/shellfish/pages/shellfishclosures.aspx

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Good advice on checking for closures, crash.  Thank you.  Now I need to find a Guide to Mussels so I can figure out if any of the local mussels are the jumbo California type.

Found a field guide, and yes, I've seen mussels that fit the description.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:15:19 AM by Tinker »

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
The ones we have on the rocks are California mussels. Bay mussels are the dinky ones you might see on pilings up in the bays. I have a 3/4" old chisel dedicated for mussel harvest. I just slide it down the mussel I want and cut and pull. The make great bait for greenling and perch as well as for eating.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you.  I thought that was the case but I just thought a mussel was a mussel until I asked about harvesting them.  Now I know they're California mussels.  I learn something new almost every year.

I have a couple of half-size flat pry bars (like a Wonder Bar) and at least one old chisel I can put to use - and I'll add a pair of penny cutter scissors because what's the use of taking up a new sport if I don't get to buy lots of new stuff?

No shorter than my thumb, no longer than my signal finger, and if I can't pull the little buggers off with my hand, there's a tool or two that'll do the job.  Plus, don't foul up the plumbing by cleaning them indoors, and the Dollar General store is about to become my shop for mussel-gathering gear.

Thanks to all.  This is great!

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I've enjoyed harvesting mussels.  Dollar store is definitely your friend for tools.  I bought a dandelion weed tool to separate the mussels from the rocks, but any prybar type tool will do.  I found my preference is for the smaller ones...under 2" because that's the flavor/texture I prefer when cooked.  To each their own for what they like for taste versus effort.  Cleaning Mussels is a lot of work, nothing short of it.  Get a scrubber, scissors and some effort, and do it outside... you'll have to decide for yourself if the effort is worth the harvest/reward. 

I like thai steamed mussels: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/98442/thai-steamed-mussels/

Lots of recipes of how to manage your success!  I enjoy the harvest and the sharing.  Go get em!

alpalmer

• Salmon
Where is everyone harvesting these mussels?
When I crab Siletz Bay on a low tide I tear some off the rocks.  They are very small, but my wife loves them.

Dave

There are massive amounts of mussels at Cape Lookout, on the south side, just hike down the trail and be there at low tide.  Pick the size you prefer. Keep in mind the parking lot at the top is still COVID closed so look for another way onto the beach.  Or go up to Oceanside,  walk through the tunnel, and harvest off the rocks there at low tide, not quite the effort.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 09:25:04 PM by alpalmer »
--Edward Abbey--

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I've enjoyed harvesting mussels.  Dollar store is definitely your friend for tools.  I bought a dandelion weed tool to separate the mussels from the rocks, but any prybar type tool will do.  I found my preference is for the smaller ones...under 2" because that's the flavor/texture I prefer when cooked.  To each their own for what they like for taste versus effort.  Cleaning Mussels is a lot of work, nothing short of it.  Get a scrubber, scissors and some effort, and do it outside... you'll have to decide for yourself if the effort is worth the harvest/reward. 

I like thai steamed mussels: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/98442/thai-steamed-mussels/

Lots of recipes of how to manage your success!  I enjoy the harvest and the sharing.  Go get em!

Perhaps I have stubby little fingers, Ms. fish.  The store-bought mussels I use are about two, maybe two-and-a-half inches long and I guess I should start out with some around that size and some that are larger to see if I can tell a difference.

I don't remember why I have these short Wonder Bars (I've never used either of them) so they'll be the first tools I try to use, but there are a couple of dandelion tools in the garage if pry bars and chisels and just my hands fail me.  I'm close enough to mussel beds that I hope to not need to harvest (and clean) too many at a time.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks for pointing to the Thai recipe.  I'm a fan of Thai cooking and I'll definitely give that a try.

Do I need to soak mussels to remove sand and grit like I soak clams?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Where is everyone harvesting these mussels?
When I crab Siletz Bay on a low tide I tear some off the rocks.  They are very small, but my wife loves them.

Dave

Dave, I've never plucked the tasty little devils but I've looked at them for years thinking I should grab some.  Around here I've noticed the small mussels are in the less desirable spots and the bigger ones occupy the spots that aren't often above water or are only above water for a short period of time at low tide.

anything