Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 05:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 05:23:17 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Fish cutting knife preference?  (Read 2405 times)

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I've used a fillet knife for as long as I can remember, but I have found myself watching too many videos of Japanese chefs filleting salmon with Deba, Santoku or just thicker chef knives making great cuts and NOT using fillet knives. Don't get me wrong, I like my Kershaw and Dexter knives, but I am curious if there is anyone out there who have gone a little thicker when it comes to cutting their fish? If you've used both which did you prefer?

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I recently volunteered at a harvest operation for the Trask hatchery - Tillamook Anglers. I was one of four guys fileting coho, I did around 30 fish I think.

I used my Bubba, the thick Scimitar one.

https://www.bubba.com/knives/fillet/9-flex/BB1-9F.html#start=1

I've never had the chance to cut more than two fish in one sitting before. This experience really gave me the chance to get much better at it, and I was glad for my choice of knife, zipping from the collar to the tail in one run .

OTOH I only used the one knife so who's to say I wouldn't have a preference if I had ?

All I can say is the wide blade certainly worked well for me.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Maybe it's because I never catch big fish, but I prefer a shorter blade; every time I use my 7+" I imagine that a 4-5" blade would allow for more finesse and less fear of nicking myself. Along those lines, I don't care much for the 'bendy' fillet knife blades... If anyone has any budget suggestions (30 bucks or less) that fit those parameters, I'd love to hear 'em.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:39:05 PM by bogueYaker »

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I've used various Japanese knives. They're single beveled making them really well suited to slicing and easier to sharpen on the whetstone. They also have a handidness, so if you're a lefty make sure to buy a left-handed knife. I would take the time to look up how the Japanese folk fillet fish like salmon, it's pretty rare for them to zip down the entire fish in one go - usually it's at least a cut each on the dosral and pectoral/anal sides, probably due to the stiffness of the knife and the latter wastes meat along the spine.

Also for anyone reading this - buy a whetstone and take the time to get good at using it properly. It'll make your filleting a billion times easier no matter the knife. Those chefs on youtube definitely use one (probably more than 3, actually) to get their knives beyond razor sharp.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 08:41:23 PM by workhard »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Maybe it's because I never catch big fish, but I prefer a shorter blade; every time I use my 7+" I imagine that a 4-5" blade would allow for more finesse and less fear of nicking myself. Along those lines, I don't care much for the 'bendy' fillet knife blades... If anyone has any budget suggestions (30 bucks or less) that fit those parameters, I'd love to hear 'em.

Any of the Victorinox or Dexter Sani-Safe rigid or semi-flexible blade boning knives. Both are sharp, stay sharp, and are easy to sharpen when needed.  If you want an even shorter blade (<4") search for their poultry boning knives.  The downside is they don't come with sheaths but aftermarket sheaths aren't hard to come by.

(I've purchased Victorinox knives from a place called Web Restaurant Supply for a lower price than what Amazon or Wally World wants.)

I think Fungunnin did an excellent tutorial on filleting salmon using a large scimitar-shaped knife, and a number of other members also use them.  Including me.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rbae

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I don't know anything about filleting fish.  You see my handiwork and you think this is what would likely happen if you delegated that job to your six year old.  Still, I like my cheapy Rapala... which I guess isn't all that cheap at $30 for a 6" blade.  I like the looks of the Bubba but it's probably way more than someone with my lack of dexterity should spend on a fillet knife.

As an aside, I bought some kydex for a keel guard project.  The stuff is pretty cheap and apparently used a bit for knife sheaths, gun holsters, etc... a cheap solution for those who've lost (or never had) a sheath for their favorite knife.

Also, I got a great deal on a big ass 55K BTU aluminum turkey fryer kit at Web Restaurant Supply a few years back.  They do have excellent prices at times.  Nice way to quickly steam up a limit of crabs.  ;D

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I prefer fillet knives which have an edge with a good curve.  I don't like fillet knives with a straight edge.  I have a bunch of fillet knives to choose from, but usually end up using a Mustad fillet knife I got from Walmart for something like ten bucks.  For bigger fish, I often use a Victorinox boning knife.

But sharpness is the most important characteristic of a knife used for processing fish or game.  If a knife isn't sharp, processing will be clumsy and irritating.  If a knife is sharp, processing will go beautifully.

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
  • Can't wait to catch my next fish!
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I have the Victorinex boning knife and I am getting better at using it.   However, it will cut through the spine of the fish very easily.  This makes it hard to make the turn when filleting smaller fish.  Probably because I’m trying not to get cut!

For smaller fish, I use the regular 7” filet knifes from Walmart.
Thank you all for any kindness provided in the the Pacific Northwest.

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15