Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 07:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 2020 in review  (Read 4157 times)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
2020 was a bit of a crapshoot for fishing, I purchased my license on Jan 1 and proceeded to fish several days for Sturgeon and then hung up the drysuit for the rest of the year after. It wasn't that I didn't fish anymore, just not anywhere that would require it sadly. When the lockdowns hit I was convinced I would be fishing more often, hitting local places I typically leave alone (Hagg predominantly) that never happened.

We have been blessed to have good friends with a beach house in Rockaway that they have graciously let us escape to on a number of occasions to have a change of scenery, that has had me picking up a surf rod more than ever, my attempts at perch have not come to fruition often enough yet. If there's anyone on the board here more confident at catching them from the beach I would love to learn from you, youtube simply isn't doing it for me in this case. I guess these trips are seen as the "big city people" flocking to the coast, and it would be seen as correct, but we always brought our food and full tanks of fuel with us, never so much as a wave to the passers by on never crowded beaches there. Socially distant at its finest I suppose.

I seriously missed the tournaments and HOW events this year as well, hoping that we can get back to those in 2021. I am optimistic about things moving forward, I don't think there's much hope in looking at it otherwise.

Fortunately we have been able to stay gainfully employed all along, and while the scenery is getting old at my new desk I am thankful for what I have. The wife and I (as well as known family) have managed to avoid the virus thus far as well, thankfully.

I too like some others here have a bit of the 4x4 bug, I purchased a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road last year and have been taking it off road when able, some mild rock crawling, but nothing overly technical. I am conscious though of not putting myself in a situation that would/could get me stuck and require assistance, I would rather not potentially expose myself or someone else due to my negligence. I hope to do more of this in 2021 if possible, it's a lot of fun to get off pavement and explore. I've found a ton of new (to me) dispersed camping spots and even some good fishing areas too off the beaten path. I am on the hunt for a good deal on a roof top tent so we can spend a few days remote and not on the ground, I would likely be fine in a ground tent, but the wife is over that whole thing.

Anyway, enough rambling....
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Did very little fishing.  Never even bought my Oregon license.  I did buy a Wyoming license and an Idaho license.  Entertained temporarily relocating to Omaha so my kids could have some normal kid things to do, but in the end decided to ride it out here on the coast.  If I could go back in time, I’d have gone to Omaha as previously entertained.  I work more than ever but I can do it from anywhere, at least until the pandemic is over.

I’d say I plan to fish more in 2021, but at this point I just want to go to a kids ballgame, a high school concert, an open mic night at a coffee shop, and be able to shake hands again.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
The ocean never settled down and the streams were crowded.  I made three trips out in the bay this year and ended up empty-handed and wondering why I let that surf12foot fellow talk me into buying a 2020 license.

We've been jam-packed with folks from out of the area since February.  I stopped walking the dogs on the beaches because they became over-crowded, and I'd never seen elbow-to-elbow combat fishing along these little coastal streams before this season.

I'm decidedly not dissing you city folk since much, if not most of the crowds are from out of state, but we also have more than the normal number of folks from all over Oregon hanging around.  It seemed that the more strict the public health restrictions became, the more people headed for the coast.  Curiously lemming-like behavior if you think about it for a moment.

I, too, am not complaining.  This is simply how it was to live on the coast this year and carrying-on about it doesn't change a thing.

Our lakes and public lands were also packed with people.  In some areas it looked like new communities loaded with trailers and 5th wheels (many which were brand new).  So many people headed for the outdoors for something to do.  Covid sure did not impact the RV, boating, and four wheeler industries.  They had banner years.  Lots of fishing pressure this year on our lakes.  Looking forward to when things get back to "normal" (what ever that will be).     
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Barely even got my kayak wet. I had a license, which is fine because I am fine supporting the end agencies. And bought a new license for the same reason.  We have avoided the virus, even tho the wife is a physician and therefore an essential job.  I did a part time gig as an elections worker, which I really enjoyed.  Hoping to get my vaccine as soon as my slot comes open.
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I too like some others here have a bit of the 4x4 bug, I purchased a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road last year and have been taking it off road when able, some mild rock crawling, but nothing overly technical. I am conscious though of not putting myself in a situation that would/could get me stuck and require assistance, I would rather not potentially expose myself or someone else due to my negligence. I hope to do more of this in 2021 if possible, it's a lot of fun to get off pavement and explore. I've found a ton of new (to me) dispersed camping spots and even some good fishing areas too off the beaten path. I am on the hunt for a good deal on a roof top tent so we can spend a few days remote and not on the ground, I would likely be fine in a ground tent, but the wife is over that whole thing.

This.

Yeah, for me it isn't really much of an appetite for the extreme trails, rock crawling etc. My interest is in being able to get farther into the woods for camping, mushrooming, etc. Which is not to say I don't find wheeling fun, just that the point where I get to "yeah, that was fun enough" is a lower threshold than the genuine thrill seekers.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

This.

Yeah, for me it isn't really much of an appetite for the extreme trails, rock crawling etc. My interest is in being able to get farther into the woods for camping, mushrooming, etc. Which is not to say I don't find wheeling fun, just that the point where I get to "yeah, that was fun enough" is a lower threshold than the genuine thrill seekers.

I've done the extreme wheeling in the past with 4x4s, ATVs and Baja bugs.  Getting stuck, jumping, breaking, winching, etc.  Not my thing  at this point in life either.

I am building out my Taco for adventure or for the new buzz word "overlanding".  There are a couple of types of folks that use the "overlanding" term differently.

I consider one side as a fake or looking the part, and one side the real deal.  The ones that have to keep a showroom shine, crazy wheel offsets, include every possible "overlanding" piece of equipment attached to their rig 24/7, as well as have no clue how to use or why they have all the overland gear, let alone never actually leave the pavement are the fake ones.

The ones that get out and get dirty, actually buy their gear as needed one step at a time  because it will absolutely improve what they are already doing are the real deal.  These folks can be primarily gravel road adventure seekers, all the way up to the extreme performers. The difference is actually doing it, and not just looking the part and taking poser pics in a mall parking lot all dressed to look the part.

As many of you guys know me already, I don't leave stuff alone, and prefer to build a lot of stuff to fit my needs. It is usually a one off deal  ,but functional.  That is what my Taco platform is right now. Building it as I go, and as my needs dictate.

Kayaking is still a very big part of my motivation, as is camping. I want to get to places where 45% of the common people cannot get to, and 75% of the rest just won't, even if they could.  If there a lake there and epic views, then all the better! 

Oh, and the mushrooms.  I've been getting into mushroom hunting as well. Got to get further and further from the easy pickings.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:53:29 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
Dirt and gravel road, even if mildly snow covered, is where I am at. I have my teardrop instead of a rooftop tent, so I might not fit into the true overlanders. But it also means that while my trailer can't go places my jeep could, it will keep me only going where my jeep SHOULD.

Of course, the TD makes a dandy part of a base camp from which to hit other places and routes.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Dirt and gravel road, even if mildly snow covered, is where I am at. I have my teardrop instead of a rooftop tent, so I might not fit into the true overlanders. But it also means that while my trailer can't go places my jeep could, it will keep me only going where my jeep SHOULD.

Of course, the TD makes a dandy part of a base camp from which to hit other places and routes.

Towing a trailer of any kind doesn't disqualify you as an avid overlander.  You could stay on the pavement 100% of the time with your explorations and be a true overlander.  Actually   going out and doing it is all you need.  Honestly, a guy with a Prius, a ground tent, basic camping gear, and pink Crocs can be a true overlander, as long as he gets beyond the Instagram "look at me, I'm and overlander" mantra.

Seriously, TD trailers are a great setup for a lot of adventures on or off the beaten path. Soooo much potential for getting out and getting it done.  A small lift or axle flip for ground clearance can make all the difference in getting the TD just that much further off the typical forest roads, or down some snowy areas. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
My TD has pretty good ground clearance due to running 15” wheels and a swing up tongue jack.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Got to fish 3 whole times. Each with the daughter.  So not gonna complain about the daddy/daughter bonding trips.  Funniest part of those 3 was Joe Creek where she actually,  finally, cast more than 15 feet or dropped out at her feet. She actually hit a @45-50 cast across the creek. Her reaction was priceless, a "Holy Shit!" Out before she thought  ;D

Anyway, have thought about asking the communist dictator, err, governor, for a refund on my $120 license fees due his poor handling of things.

Hung up the yak . Because of my employers  "Mission Essentail" status, we went to 6 10's , so by end of each week, my back side came in the door 10 minutes after the rest of me. Been that way since March .  Mandatory masks, temp checks for the first 3 months at the start of each shift. Twice a day wipe downs of the machinery on my station , then we couldn't get any more sanitizing supplies due to world wide shortages .  Had to get two COVID tests due to coworkers contracting the virus from their spouses or family members.  Thankfully both negative. One lost his wife of 45 years from it

Tried to get a community based relief program up and running to help the victims of the wildfires. That failed like a lead balloon.  Thankfully no money exchanged hands, so didn't have that complication when I shut it down.

Kids public school shut down and went to virtual classes instead. That did not work well at first with the wife being mandated to "work from home and don't come back until we decide if we're going to reopen the office." So, we get the two of them on top of each other in the same room. One trying to run a CSR line for a prescription pet food business,  the other a sometimes loud 6-7 year old trying to make herself heard over her garrellous classmates..

So , impacted heavily like everyone else.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Decent year in the lakes for Kokanee/Coho

Awful year in the Sound for keeper Chinook, did land multiple 20+ toad wild fish. Also a few Chinook halibut fishing of all things.

Bad year for fall returning Coho in the Sound.

Did alright on Chum off the bank is South Sound.

Got my first sockeye in Baker.

Decent groundfish.

Squidding was fantastic.

Crabbing is above average.

Caught a few sturgeon in Oregon.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
My year was interesting to say the least, and living at the coast for the majority of it makes me want to be there full time.  Some day soon I hope. 

While the ocean chinook bite stayed pretty good for most of the summer, it really kicked in in September.  My daughter has been slaying coho off the yak for last few years, but never a chinook.  One fine Sunday in late September that changed.  I never touched the rod and she fought this beast like a champ on the pink x11.  27lb chinook by a 78 lb 12 year old.  Cross that one off my list.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:15:15 AM by onefish »
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
That's fantastic Onefish! Way to get the youth jazzed on fishing. You've set the bar damn high for her, but an angler with your skillz will get her on a 30+ in no time  8).
aMayesing Bros.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
That pic is a winner.  Daughter and fish are great, but so is the photo bombing, body surfing, dog.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Awesome picture and even better memory onefish!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

anything