Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Bottom Fish Rod Suggestions  (Read 4361 times)

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I am new to the kayak fishing thing and haven't taken my first trip out to PC or Depoe yet but plan to when the weather improves in the Spring/Summer. In the meantime I have been gearing up for my first trip out with all the safety and gear storage stuff. I was looking for recommendations on an affordable rod for bottom fishing to pair with an Okuma Coldwater LC reel that I picked up. I anticipate that I will carry a spinning setup too but I have a few of those to choose from already. Is there any specific length/power that I should be looking for? Brand? (was thinking Okuma or Ugly Stick but willing to spend more if its worth it). Trying to target lingcod and the usual other suspects...thanks

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Hard to go wrong with the Shimano Trevala for bottom fish.  It's about $110-130.  You can find cheaper rods that will work well but the Trevala is my favorite.  Multiple actions in spinning or casting models.

Do a search here and you will find many people recomend them.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I am not really much of a rod guru. For bottom fish I do like to take 3 rods. I take a M/L rod that is often a spinning rod which is my light weight jigging rod, which is about the only jigging I do. I like to use herring for Lingcod and I really like to have more backbone for the hookset, and since the rod will usually see the bigger fish it is nice to have the power. Maybe something along the lines of a M/H, but some mediums will do as well. I also take one extra rod, which is usually also a heavier rod, but it basically just used as a flag unless I have an issue with one of the others. I like a 7 foot rod with a lengthy butt to hook under your should if needed.

I have used an 8 1/2 foot salmon rod plenty of times, and they work fine, I just prefer the shorter ones.

I usually run the same 25 lbs leader with 50 or 65 lbs braided mainline on both. I would go heavier for the hearing rod, but I just don't like to use any heavier since it becomes an issue to break off if you get snagged up. I really hate when I get snagged and have troubles breaking off.  25 lbs leader can pull up a heck of a big Lingcod.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Keep it simple.

Unless you are targeting salmon or halibut without wanting different gear from bottom fishing gear, then I would suggest sticking.with 6' to 7' Ugly Stik lite and medium action rods. 

I started out cheap back when I started kayaking fishing in 2008 as a matter of principal, in the event I lost anything over the seide. As of my last trip in the salt Sept 2019,  I still fish with the exact same rods and reels.  I will continue with these same reliable combos in 2021 (provided the coastal launches are not closed due to Covid).

My light setup is a Shakespeare Barbie rod spooled with 20lb braid.

My mid level, catch everything, used the most rod/reel combo is my 6'6" Ugly Stik two piece spinning rod paired with a $25 Shimano Sienna 2500.  Spooled with 10lb braid with a twenty foot top shot of 10lb mono, tied together with an Albright knot.

The heaviest rod/reel combo I take out for bottom fish (not including halibut) is my 6'6" Ugly Stik medium action one piece rod paired with an Abu Garcia 6500 c3.  Spooled with 20lb Berkeley Big Game mono.

Actually I go through at least one Barbie rod a year on average, so other than those, I am still fishing with my original Ugly Sticks/reels. A big ling, cabezon or scrappy black can break the tip off over time. But the reel guts usually rust out on me before that happens.

From day one, I tore down each reel, including the Barbie reels, and lubed any bearings with CorrosionX. I remove all the factory grease and added a light coat of green marine grease on all the metal surfaces. So far this has allowed my reels to last this long after 10-20 trips in the salt a year.

The Abu gets carbon drag washers and a dose of Cal's drag grease. Never had a failure to date.

As for line, I don't fish with anything heavier than 20lb for bottom fish. Anything else is purely over kill IMO.

Keep your bottom fish gear cheap yet durable, as these fish are stupid and it doesn't take high end gear to reliably catch them.

Salmon and halibut can be caught on the above mentioned gear, but not as reliably.  My first salmon ever was caught in the ocean, with a Barbie rod and white 6" curly tail grub. It was fun, and I hope to do it again in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 09:18:16 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
When it comes to cost and durability, the Ugly Stiks are solid. I love knowing I can really put the wood to fish with no concern about snapping the rod. I use a 6'6" Ugly Stik Lite spinning rod paired with a 3000 series spinning reel for messing around with rockfish. I usually drop 1-2 oz jigging spoons for rockfish, typically targeting schools of blacks in <50 FOW. Highly effective. Any outfit that can handle a bass will handle shallow-water rockfish.

My lingcod setup is a 7' Ugly Stik Tiger conventional, med action, rated for 20-50 lb. It's paired with a Penn Squall 20LW and 40 lb braid. It's a bit beefier than what other folks may use, but I can't stand losing big lings if they run on me and get into the rocks. This outfit stops every one of em from doing that, even the 30+ pounders. And, I'm confident that this outfit can handle a Pacific halibut if/when I come across one.

When it comes to lings, stopping them on their first big run is the make-or-break moment. Keep em from burying you in the rocks on that first run, and you've basically got em.
aMayesing Bros.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Ugly stik or Trevala for me.  My 7’0” ML casting trevala is the rod I’d pick if I could only bring one for bottom fish and salmon.  Enough power for lings and enough finesse for salmon.  Indestructible as well.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Daiwa Harrier is every bit as good as Shimano Trevala at a much more attractive price point.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

rustyski

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
As others have stated, can't go wrong with an ugly stik. I have an ugly stik tiger paired with a coldwater that serves as my "big fish" rod for big lings, halibut, etc. Most the time though, I use my salmon set up, which is a medium action ugly stik with a tekota 300lc.
Boats:
2019 Hobie Outback

Event Finishes:
2020 AOTY 5th Place
2020 Tiny Fish Slam Winner
2019 Tiny Fish Slam 2nd

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Appreciate the replies. I’ve got a little bit of thinking to do. My lightest and shortest spinning rod is an 8’6” 8-17 might buy a lighter rod and downsize to have a little more fun and I think I’ll go Shimano or Ugly Stick for the heavier rod. I’ve got a few gift cards and some Christmas cash burning a hole in my pocket. I have very little experience with rock fishing or kayak fishing, that’s what makes it fun right?

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Check out the Daiwa Harrier rods.  Super lightweight and inexpensive, with a great action for jigging.  I've used mine for everything from Tuna to Walleye but its sweet spot is bottom fishing.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
What reels you guys throwing on the Harrier rods? I picked up a medium casting on Black Friday but need a reel.    Those that have used them, can you troll ocean salmon with them like you can a 7' trevala? comparing my two rods in the garage, it seems the harrier is quite a bit faster action than the Trevala.  Daiwa seems like a lighter rod, haven't used it on the water yet but I kind of like having a foregrip with the Trevala. 

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I'm using a Daiwa Saltist spinning reel with mine.  20lb braid makes it really versatile.  The Harriers are stiff, with a fast action which makes them perfect for jigging but not so perfect for fighting a salmon.  That said, you could still salmon fish with them, they just have a less parabolic bend and are relatively short so they don't load up enough to compensate for quick direction changes like a traditional 9.0" salmon trolling rod.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Love my 2 Ugly Stiks , but after seeing the Diawa rep, Frank use one of their medium rods to lift 300 lb men off their feet at a Sportsmans Show, I'm going to pick one up. 

What Frank did, was put the rod into the hands of the biggest guys in the crowd standing at the booth. Then he'd grab the end and kneel down to the floor. Most people couldn't hang onto the rod , would end up standing on their toes or losing control of the rod. Never once saw a rod break.

I figure, if their rods can take that, they'll far out last any abuse I'll ever subject them too.

Frank is maybe 5 Ft. 5 tall and 145lbs.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 06:31:42 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
My favorite jigging rods are two Ugly Stik Tiger Elite 6'6" medium heavy casting/jigging rods, one rated for 3/4 oz-4 oz lures, and the other for 4 oz-7 oz lures.  I mount a 300-400 size baitcasting reel with a counterbalanced power handle and a fast retrieve rate on them.  I like rods with long butts, because I jig with the butt of my rod in my armpit and the thumb of my rod hand on the spool release of my baitcaster reel, and a long butt allows me to hold my rod hand comfortably out in front of my chest, rather than tucked back next to my armpit.  While both of those Tiger Elite rods have pretty long butts, I've extended the butts of both rods to be 17"-18" long behind my reel so they're more comfortable to use when jigging, as shown in the picture below.

I used to use level wind trolling reels for jigging, but I switched to baitcaster reels for several reasons: (a) Baitcaster reels drop your lure fast when you're jigging deep, because the weight of the lure doesn't have to move a level wind mechanism and a line counter mechanism. You can tweak the spool brake so line spools out as fast as possible without creating backlash. (b) Baitcaster reels are ergonomically convenient to use when jigging, because you can drop your lure by hitting their spool release with your rod hand, and you can raise your lure by cranking with the other hand, which makes it easy to adjust the depth of your lure to stay in contact with the bottom or to stay at the level of fish you can see on your fish finder.  I find the spool release on level wind casting reels to be less convenient to use.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 07:58:54 PM by pmmpete »

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I almost pulled the trigger on the Tiger Elite rods (regular, not the jigging one).  Really liked the handle on them and felt pretty nice in hand, price is good if you can get them on sale.  You should check out the harrier rods if you like long handles as the butt is really long on them.  Rod is way lighter than the Tigers too. 

anything