Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Here we go- Licensing for Kayakers  (Read 4419 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
https://mynorthwest.com/2495128/kayak-safety-paddleboard-washington/

Apparently, from this guy,  we're not responsible enough to know how much danger we're in.....
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
As written this bill is stupid.  All they did was take the existing boater education law and insert a small blurb that makes it apply to human powered craft (not just kayaks).  The "authors" clearly didn't read the existing law before inserting this extra blurb as any boat with less than 15 HP is exempt so adding human powered craft to it is ridiculous.  So I guess all we would need to do is add a tiny motor/engine to avoid this, maybe I'll just get one of those little battery powered face fans and strap it to be back of my Hobie as say that is main propulsion and the pedals are just to give me a little more speed!

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
the idiocy just never ends from Washington and Oregon governments.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
It's always a safe bet that *every* government, from federal all the way down the tiniest of villages, has been forced to put up with idiocy more often that they'd like.  My guess is that most of it is not even due to ill intent, but instead it comes from unforeseen and unintended consequences that spring from a well-intentioned change to the rule/laws/policies/you name it.  Some small, useful change turns into a big nasty dispute between people that nobody initially even thought of being involved.  This could've started out the same way.
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I consider government officials drunk with their own authority and fixated to find something to do that in their view "makes a better world" to be ill intent.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Let me refresh your memory.
This is at the top of the forum.

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Take your licensing scheme....

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I support mandatory safety training for kayak operators.  Maybe make it impossible to purchase the Waterway Access Permit(Oregon) without showing evidence of passing a training course.  Every time I read of a kayaker being rescued, I fear we're one step closer to having the ocean shut down for all kayakers.  Safety training might even save a life or two.

Dave
How about mandatory drivers reevaluation every 2 years, seams to be more auto accident deaths then kayaking deaths?

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
There is a very specific problem that needs to be addressed. Just about half of paddle sport deaths are from very low hours paddlers with < 10 hours experience, most of whom bought their kayaks and SUPs at a big box retailer. These are folks who don’t know what they don’t know, and education and training requirements will solve that problem.

I fully support education requirements and warning labels and the like, but this bill as drafted is both over inclusive and under inclusive of the actual population of paddlers that are the source of most of the fatalities.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I know there are people out there who will remain dumb forever, and I have little sympathy for the full-grown adult who thinks a cotton hoodie and jeans are all they need when they jump into their Walmart kayak and paddle onto the Pacific. But according to Washington State's DOH on drowning deaths, the majority of drownings occur among young men aged 15-24 (https://www.doh.wa.gov/portals/1/Documents/2900/DOH530090Drown.pdf). Young guys do dumb stuff--that doesn't mean they're going to be dumb adults. I certainly did some really dumb crap when I was just getting into kayaking in my early 20s.

Do we leave these young people to their own fate? Or do we try to find some way to educate them on the value of a life jacket and dressing properly for the water conditions?
aMayesing Bros.

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I'm not against education but my beef is how they wrote it, by tacking it on to one specifically for boats with engines.  When I sell a Hobie I try to make sure the person buying it is aware of the dangers and that they should wear a PFD at all times and immersion gear if they will be out in 120 or less.

The other issues I have with the bill as proposed is that it does not cover things like guided fishing, does the client have to pass the test before going out with the guide?  What about short term rentals businesses that rent out kayaks by the hour?  What do I do when I want to put on a demo day or give a 1:1 demo to customer?

Spelunker

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
What's dangerous and destructive is the rampant and unchecked crime, homelessness, drug addiction that Seattle is riddled with. Nothing is done about our cars being broken into, homes burglarized, parks taken over by tents. But Jay Inslee and others of his ilk feel its necessary to limit my gym session to 45 minutes and make me take a kayak safety course for my own good.

I wont comply. I'm better suited to make decisions regarding the well being of myself and my community than this corrupt and ineffective government.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I can't say that this is unexpected, given the growth in human powered watercraft usage in the last 10 years.  I just want a clear explanation of what we're getting for our $$$.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
What's dangerous and destructive is the rampant and unchecked crime, homelessness, drug addiction that Seattle is riddled with. Nothing is done about our cars being broken into, homes burglarized, parks taken over by tents. But Jay Inslee and others of his ilk feel its necessary to limit my gym session to 45 minutes and make me take a kayak safety course for my own good.

I wont comply. I'm better suited to make decisions regarding the well being of myself and my community than this corrupt and ineffective government.

lol you sure do know a lot about Seattle/Washington for someone who's only lived here since March.

Conflating COVID restrictions w/ this bill seems like a losing proposition if your goal is to drum up support against the bill.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Nanny state needs to nanny I guess. Nonsense like this comes with a territory of living in a blue state.

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
  • Can't wait to catch my next fish!
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020

lol you sure do know a lot about Seattle/Washington for someone who's only lived here since March.

Conflating COVID restrictions w/ this bill seems like a losing proposition if your goal is to drum up support against the bill.

:) :) :) :) :) :banjo:
Thank you all for any kindness provided in the the Pacific Northwest.

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15

anything