Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:20:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Here we go- Licensing for Kayakers  (Read 4432 times)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
As somoene who had never operated a motor boat, I found it odd that I didnt actually need my own boaters card when I went to rent a boat at LBC a few years back.  I just signed a sheet of paper that had a 5 second summary of the rules of the road, etc.  Same goes for PWC rental.   Found it odd that the people most likely to get into an accident (inexperienced, usually renting for an event or some reason, likely looking to have a good time and therefore drinking) didnt have to have the full safety class that a boat owner would.    So in that regards, if this bill were to go forth as written currently, it would seem reasonable to extend that same exception to kayak/paddle board renting places.

Interestingly enough, you know what group of rec-paddlers is going to have some of the highest compliance with PFD use (at least based off my observation), the rental crowed.   Rental place hands them PDF and says put it on and most are going to comply (versus the guy in jeans headed out of PC without a PFD in his 10 ft SINK).

Every outdoor sport/activity comes with a set of risks of bodily injury and/or death.  Some of the more dangerous have high barriers of entry and keep the ding-dongs away, others like kayaking and other water based activities have really low barriers of entry (buy $300 Costco kayak, get on water).   Water activities are inherently dangerous due to temps, drowning, etc. that I think go beyond some of the other outdoor activities.  Add on to that, saving someone else that is having a water emergency puts the rescuer at that a much higher risk than other outdoor activities, mandatory safety training doesnt seem like the worst idea. 

Also, the idea about mandatory PFD wearing vs. carrying just seems like a no brainer at this point.  Pretty sure its required to be worn when operating a PWC and the thought you can flip your kayak and get to your PDF is Ludacris.

I think enforcement happens more than most people realize.  As fisher-people we tend to avoid crowds, either by virtue of launch time or going to off the map places.   Go down to Hagg lake, or detroit, or Merwin lake even on a weekend and you will see the Sherriff out doing checks on the water or at the dock.   I have never been checked, but I think because all my safety gear is worn and clearly visible, I am a small fish and not worth the LEO's time.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
As somoene who had never operated a motor boat, I found it odd that I didnt actually need my own boaters card when I went to rent a boat at LBC a few years back.  I just signed a sheet of paper that had a 5 second summary of the rules of the road, etc.  Same goes for PWC rental.   Found it odd that the people most likely to get into an accident (inexperienced, usually renting for an event or some reason, likely looking to have a good time and therefore drinking) didnt have to have the full safety class that a boat owner would.    So in that regards, if this bill were to go forth as written currently, it would seem reasonable to extend that same exception to kayak/paddle board renting places.

Interestingly enough, you know what group of rec-paddlers is going to have some of the highest compliance with PFD use (at least based off my observation), the rental crowed.   Rental place hands them PDF and says put it on and most are going to comply (versus the guy in jeans headed out of PC without a PFD in his 10 ft SINK).

Every outdoor sport/activity comes with a set of risks of bodily injury and/or death.  Some of the more dangerous have high barriers of entry and keep the ding-dongs away, others like kayaking and other water based activities have really low barriers of entry (buy $300 Costco kayak, get on water).   Water activities are inherently dangerous due to temps, drowning, etc. that I think go beyond some of the other outdoor activities.  Add on to that, saving someone else that is having a water emergency puts the rescuer at that a much higher risk than other outdoor activities, mandatory safety training doesnt seem like the worst idea. 

Also, the idea about mandatory PFD wearing vs. carrying just seems like a no brainer at this point.  Pretty sure its required to be worn when operating a PWC and the thought you can flip your kayak and get to your PDF is Ludacris.

I think enforcement happens more than most people realize.  As fisher-people we tend to avoid crowds, either by virtue of launch time or going to off the map places.   Go down to Hagg lake, or detroit, or Merwin lake even on a weekend and you will see the Sherriff out doing checks on the water or at the dock.   I have never been checked, but I think because all my safety gear is worn and clearly visible, I am a small fish and not worth the LEO's time.
Rarely see them at Tillamook bay, and the Sherriff at PC....... I don’t recall ever seeing him get out of his truck, might get sand in his boots 😉

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I see the LEO at Netarts pretty frequently on the weekends.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Shin09

• Salmon
Rarely see them at Tillamook bay, and the Sherriff at PC....... I don’t recall ever seeing him get out of his truck, might get sand in his boots 😉

I think that was kind of my point, go to splash and giggle crowd central and you see the LEO presence.   They know where the catching is easy, but at the same time it probably makes a greater impact on safety.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008

Speaking from experience on this one.  It might be the weather in the gorge during the summer (hot) but most SUP and Kayak renters don't wear the pfd given to them with their rental.

Kayak fishers over all do well wearing pfds.  I think storing frequently used gear in our pfd pockets encourages use.

I've never seen a white water boater without one.  It's all risk management.  Know yourself and the situation you are entering.  Unfortunately most renters and novices don't have the background knowledge to make educated decisions.

How do we create a bill for educating newbs that doesn't interfere with advanced water users?  The current bill casts too large of net.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Shin09 brought up a good point about rescues. I know we have a few folks here who've been involved in saving a life or two.

If its not too prying or doesn't bring back bad memories,  could one or two share circumstances and how the rescuee was dressed? That could help the rest of us, I think.   
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Shin09

• Salmon
So curious what peoples thoughts are on a similar, but not related to our sport water regulation:  This year Oregon recently adopted a "Towed Watersports Education Endorsement" 

The summary is: Boat operators engaged in wakeboard and wake surfing in the Newberg Pool (Willamette River, RM 30-50, roughly between Roger's Landing and Bernert Landing) are required to take a Towed Watersports Education Course and carry a Towed Watersports Education Card. This is proof for law enforcement that the boat operator is knowledgeable in towed watersports safety, wave management techniques, and operator responsibilities for accident prevention. Boat operators can complete this requirement by studying our course material and taking an equivalency exam. The cost is $60 and the card must be renewed every two calendar years. In addition, boats used for wakeboarding and wake surfing must have decals certifying that the owner/operator completed the Towed Watersports Education Program. This education requirement is in addition to the mandatory boater education course. Failure to carry a Towed Watersports Education Card, AND the Boat Oregon Education Card is a Class B violation, with a $265 fine. Furthermore, if the boat operator is cited a second time within a three year period for wake-related violations, this could result in a Class A violation with a fine of $435 and up to a one-year suspension from boating by a judge. See the measure history for HB 2352.

Spelunker

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
What's dangerous and destructive is the rampant and unchecked crime, homelessness, drug addiction that Seattle is riddled with. Nothing is done about our cars being broken into, homes burglarized, parks taken over by tents. But Jay Inslee and others of his ilk feel its necessary to limit my gym session to 45 minutes and make me take a kayak safety course for my own good.

I wont comply. I'm better suited to make decisions regarding the well being of myself and my community than this corrupt and ineffective government.

Sorry snowflake. If you don't like it, why dontcha move?

Hmm name calling on the internet. You must be a real tough dude.

I think I'll stick around and just vote instead.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:18:27 AM by Spelunker »

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
So curious what peoples thoughts are on a similar, but not related to our sport water regulation:  This year Oregon recently adopted a "Towed Watersports Education Endorsement" 

The summary is: Boat operators engaged in wakeboard and wake surfing in the Newberg Pool (Willamette River, RM 30-50, roughly between Roger's Landing and Bernert Landing) are required to take a Towed Watersports Education Course and carry a Towed Watersports Education Card. This is proof for law enforcement that the boat operator is knowledgeable in towed watersports safety, wave management techniques, and operator responsibilities for accident prevention. Boat operators can complete this requirement by studying our course material and taking an equivalency exam. The cost is $60 and the card must be renewed every two calendar years. In addition, boats used for wakeboarding and wake surfing must have decals certifying that the owner/operator completed the Towed Watersports Education Program. This education requirement is in addition to the mandatory boater education course. Failure to carry a Towed Watersports Education Card, AND the Boat Oregon Education Card is a Class B violation, with a $265 fine. Furthermore, if the boat operator is cited a second time within a three year period for wake-related violations, this could result in a Class A violation with a fine of $435 and up to a one-year suspension from boating by a judge. See the measure history for HB 2352.

Wow, I read the notification about the wake sports exclusion zone, but didn't realize they've just about legislated the wakeboarders etc out of existence.

Shin09

• Salmon
That only applies to the newberg pool of the willametre

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
True, and I understand that was based on a lot of safety concerns. Still, gonna have a lot of upset boaters who probably haven't kept current on the regs that will result in some backlash.

Shin09

• Salmon
Devils advocate here: we as fisher people are supposed to know the specific Regis for the body of water we are on. Is this any different ?

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Where do we draw the line?
     I worked with a guy that was about 15 years younger then me, flashy ski boat, big F250 4X4 with $3000 in rims on it (never even seen gravel roads) new corvette (his wife was an attorney). Now I seen this idiot do some dangerous stupid shit in his corvette on the road around where we parked our garbage trucks to show off, not a secluded area btw. So since his boating needs to be scrutinized as a young inexperienced hooligan, shouldn’t his driving as well? He almost hit 3 kids walking home from school showing off with a burnout! 

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Nanny state needs to nanny I guess. Nonsense like this comes with a territory of living in a blue state.
I have lived in Red states as much as Blue. The red states just nanny you on other things and restrict your freedoms in other more fundamental ways.

anything