Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Yaquina Bay herring run 2021  (Read 3514 times)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I put in a couple hours' effort on Yaquina Bay yesterday for a total of five herring. Marked a few small schools, but they were on the move and refused to stay in one spot. Most boats I spoke with either had a similar single-digit score, or had zero. One boat said they caught 100+ last Sunday. I was fishing near the Embarcadero docks.

Hoping the bulk of the run is just running late! I'll post an update the next time I get out there.
aMayesing Bros.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I put in a couple hours' effort on Yaquina Bay yesterday for a total of five herring. Marked a few small schools, but they were on the move and refused to stay in one spot. Most boats I spoke with either had a similar single-digit score, or had zero. One boat said they caught 100+ last Sunday. I was fishing near the Embarcadero docks.

Hoping the bulk of the run is just running late! I'll post an update the next time I get out there.
Thanks. I'd like to try it again this year.

picture from 2019

smoked & canned last year

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I was just discussing this topic yesterday with somebody, and I said that I hadn't heard any reports. You have impeccable timing. Thanks.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Clayman

• Salmon
I hadn't seen many reports either, which usually means it's slow...but given the bay's right next to me, I figured I had to check it out for myself. And yeah, it's slow! The last few years, Valentine's Day weekend was a guarantee. Not so much this year.
aMayesing Bros.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
i was kayaking out this past saturday for a measly two herring.  I caught them at the Emabarcadero.  The reports are terrible and i worry that this will be a down year.  I launched at the marina becasue i was fishing the incoming tide and the low tide was too low to drag the kayak across the mud by OSU marine facility.  The last two years have been strong with easy limits. i was able to take home 2 limits (50lbs) last year and ran out in October.  I am hoping to try again this weekend but am wary of driving 5 hours for no bait.  The turbidity is too high for Springers so i may do it either way.  If no great reports i will bring the ski and focus on crabbing over herring.  Crabbing has been decent according to online reports
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
There are reports of Herring in the bay on Ifish.  I will be fishing this weekend if people would like to join. I would be happy to teach anybody who is new to herring fishing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:50:53 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
That would be fun but I don't think I can make it. Hope I can do it before the run ends. :-\  Looking forward to a report.

There are reports of Herring in the bay on Ifish.  I will be fishing this weekend if people would like to join. I would be happy to teach anybody who is new to herring fishing.

Clayman

• Salmon
Confirmed this evening: they're in  8).
aMayesing Bros.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
never done it. what size sabiki? i may end up there saturday?

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
I use size 8 sabiki.  I try to get the ones made of real fish skin.  Sea Striker is a good brand and only run 3.99. A rod with a sensitive tip will do best.  Wait for the rod to get really heavy before reeking in to catch more than one at a time.  When one fish bites on and is hooked it acts like a flasher for the others and they will load up.  This trick will allow you to limit much faster.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Thanks for the report.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
thanks zack, flasher? i just saw video of guy that had some kind of flasher at the top of his rig, didn`t show  how well it worked tho as he lost it on the first cast. 

Clayman

• Salmon
thanks zack, flasher? i just saw video of guy that had some kind of flasher at the top of his rig, didn`t show  how well it worked tho as he lost it on the first cast.
No flasher or anything "extra" on your rig. Just the sabiki with the size 8 hooks. I use a 1 oz cannonball as weight. When your depthfinder lights up with a big school of herring (they were so thick yesterday that the depthfinder was mistaking them for the bottom at times), drop the sabiki into them. Like Zach said, when you feel one hooked on the sabiki, try to leave it down there for a bit so herring grab the other hooks.

The school was staying in one spot when I was there yesterday, but many days, it's one of those fisheries where it's nice to have some other anglers around. If you lose the school, just watch for someone else hooking up and head over to their area.
aMayesing Bros.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Thanks. I'd like to try it again this year.

picture from 2019

smoked & canned last year
Dang, that looks good Paul.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Confirmed this evening: they're in  8).
Do you have to prep them before you freeze or just vac sealing enough? Any salting or scent if using for bait later?