Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 22, 2024, 10:14:53 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 08:59:01 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: McKay Kayak Crabber group buy?  (Read 5225 times)

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Awesome, thanks so much!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Can someone explain why these are worth the asking price?  I see half a trap for more than twice the price.  I am refering to the 15 dollar danielsons that have done me great in the past.  Is it ourely because people are uncomfortable lifting larger pots?  I do two danielsons on the outback for ocean and 3 for the bays.  The revo i just use one trap for ocean.  Is it purely ease of use on a kayak?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
For me it is to avoid what i had twice before at Pacific City: that the trap was so full of crab (25+) that there was NO WAY i could lift in the kayak without flipping the kayak (H Outback). Instead I had to unload crab for crab with the trap hanging on the side of the kayak. Every time i had to reach over dangerously far to grab a crab. One arm was needed to keep the trap in place at all times, so all other activities needed to be done with the other arm. A bit an iffy method to unload the trap but the only solution i could think of when on the water. This until up to half of the crabs were unloaded and i could safely move the trap onboard and continue unloading "the normal way". I agree with you: you pay a lot a more money for getting a trap half the size. However, from a safety perspective i think it is worth it (and ordered two). 

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
Just to add: like you i do up to three Danielson traps for the bays and two for the ocean. Normally no problem at all. Only when the trap is too full things get (real) problematic....Something very unlikely to happen in the bays...but a sure risk in the ocean.
Pulling 25+ crab (which is about 60+ lbs for decent sized ocean crab) from a depth of 50 ft to the surface is difficult but surely doable. However, the last piece, getting the trap rolled into the kayak, is a different problem.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Just to add: like you i do up to three Danielson traps for the bays and two for the ocean. Normally no problem at all. Only when the trap is too full things get (real) problematic....Something very unlikely to happen in the bays...but a sure risk in the ocean.
Pulling 25+ crab (which is about 60+ lbs for decent sized ocean crab) from a depth of 50 ft to the surface is difficult but surely doable. However, the last piece, getting the trap rolled into the kayak, is a different problem.

I have crabbed PC several times and have had several full traps.  My best was around 36 if i recall in one trap.  However, i have not had an issue feeling unsafe to pull them in and i think its because of the way i position my body when pulling it over.  I place my feet over the edge so i am perpendicular to the kayak with only my but over the kayak and lift on top of me then pivot once its aboard.  Not as fun on the revo but doable. I typically just ask my buddy to stabilize one side if i am worried.  My goal eaverytime is to fill the trap so half a trap still doesnt seem like an investment i will do.

I do really like the new traps that have ramps inside so the crabs cant easily crawl out and the new no escape pots that are being produced up north.  These fingerless pots are the same patent from the guy who sent me them when i was interested in creating octopus traps.  Those are awesome and could be added top the McKay traps you guys are ordering.  I think those are worth each penny.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
mmm....i never tried putting my feet over the edge and do it like you described....i will have to try that.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
 :book1: No (kidding) :laughing8: I think they may fit better on my yak & be easier to transport on the water. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can someone explain why these are worth the asking price?  I see half a trap for more than twice the price.  I am refering to the 15 dollar danielsons that have done me great in the past.  Is it ourely because people are uncomfortable lifting larger pots?  I do two danielsons on the outback for ocean and 3 for the bays.  The revo i just use one trap for ocean.  Is it purely ease of use on a kayak?

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
:book1: No (kidding) :laughing8: I think they may fit better on my yak & be easier to transport on the water. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Makes sense just curious on why they were preferred.  As i re-read my statement it came off as abrasive just trying to determine if it is worth my money.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
I'm going to try one of these for my next set up: Bayco KW-130 Cord Storage Reel
I tried that once. It broke the first time out. I'm keeping my eye open for one that's more heavy duty.
Thanks for the inspiration! I looking at your setup, it hit me that the light weight, simple extension cord wrap frames would be ideal for crab pot rope. Not exactly sure how I will rig it up, but guessing very similar to what you have. Will let folk know if it works out  :) 

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cord-Wraps-17-1-Length/dp/B00UZD9J18/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Extension+cord+wrap&qid=1614039918&s=lamps-light&sr=1-1

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
I loved mine when i set it up with a chord winder like that.  B Steves used his for an anchor line https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?page=26 .  This works well for crab too
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

• Date Registered: Jan 2021
Has anybody tried the Scotty trap ease?

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I'm going to try one of these for my next set up: Bayco KW-130 Cord Storage Reel
I tried that once. It broke the first time out. I'm keeping my eye open for one that's more heavy duty.
Thanks for the inspiration! I looking at your setup, it hit me that the light weight, simple extension cord wrap frames would be ideal for crab pot rope. Not exactly sure how I will rig it up, but guessing very similar to what you have. Will let folk know if it works out  :) 

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cord-Wraps-17-1-Length/dp/B00UZD9J18/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Extension+cord+wrap&qid=1614039918&s=lamps-light&sr=1-1

I use these for extension cords and compressor line.  Works pretty well but they get brittle as they age and break pretty easily. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Thanks for the info, If you find one that'll work & is more stout, please let me know. I really don't want to use one that's gonna break on me.
I'm keeping my eye open for one that's more heavy duty.
I use these for extension cords and compressor line.  Works pretty well but they get brittle as they age and break pretty easily.
[/quote]

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

The size + build quality is what did it for me. Perfect kayak trap.
formerly known as smokeondawater

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Paul- I used the extension chord wrap for 5 years without breakage and it doesnt feel week.  Just head to home depoe and feel them out.  I like the ones with the black handle you can hold and it allows it to freely unspool.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

anything