Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Larger Sized Kayak Fishers  (Read 1308 times)

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Before I venture out in the ocean in my Outback I wanted to ask and see if anybody goes out whos around my size. I'm 6'4" about 275lbs I know the kayak is rated up to 425lbs but you add a fish finder, battery, cart, mounts, lead, crab pot, radio, fishing gear, drinking water, ice, possible limit of fish etc. and the weight seems to add up pretty quickly. Does anybody have a problem with being overloaded or nearing the weight capacity? I'm sure I will be ok packing lighter but its not something I want to find out "after the fact" while I'm a mile or so offshore. Any tips for keeping the weight down? Thank you

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Did you think about going out in a lake to test it?  That would seem to be  simple Common Sense, wouldn't it?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
What year Outback do you have?  I am 5' 10" and 275 and only had an issue in my 2015 Outback once.  When going at faster speeds the stern of the kayak squats down in the water and with having my kill bag and ice and fish in it in the rear deck I ended up taking on water in through the control lines for the rudder (at least thats what I surmised).  This has only happened once and it was while I was in the Ocean at Depoe Bay.  I have been out plenty of other times there and PC and never had this issue before.  I ended up with about 5 gallons of water in the hull.  Luckily it didn't effect the handling too much.  I knew there was something wrong as I could feel the difference in how the kayak was behaving but not to the point where it was dangerous.  The worst part was pulling the kayak up the boat ramp... that was not fun.

I haven't been out in my 2020 Outback in the Ocean enough to say either way with it.  So far no issues in the lakes, rivers, and bays that I have been in though.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Asully503

• Perch
Did you think about going out in a lake to test it?  That would seem to be  simple Common Sense, wouldn't it?

Yeah, I fished around in it on Merwin this summer in pretty heavy boat traffic and waves targeting Kokanee but I didn't have it loaded down with anything. It was a lot easier to stay balanced than I thought it would be and handled the large wakes really well.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 01:58:07 PM by Asully503 »

Asully503

• Perch
What year Outback do you have?  I am 5' 10" and 275 and only had an issue in my 2015 Outback once.  When going at faster speeds the stern of the kayak squats down in the water and with having my kill bag and ice and fish in it in the rear deck I ended up taking on water in through the control lines for the rudder (at least thats what I surmised).  This has only happened once and it was while I was in the Ocean at Depoe Bay.  I have been out plenty of other times there and PC and never had this issue before.  I ended up with about 5 gallons of water in the hull.  Luckily it didn't effect the handling too much.  I knew there was something wrong as I could feel the difference in how the kayak was behaving but not to the point where it was dangerous.  The worst part was pulling the kayak up the boat ramp... that was not fun.

I haven't been out in my 2020 Outback in the Ocean enough to say either way with it.  So far no issues in the lakes, rivers, and bays that I have been in though.

Good to know and I have a 2020 outback

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Good to know and I have a 2020 outback

I think your Outback will perform just fine for you in reasonable ocean conditions.  I look for under 4' total swell and have made about 15 ocean trips in my 2019 and Pepper has now been along on 5 of them (3 out of Sunset Bay and 2 over the Siuslaw bar chasing salmon).  I'm 185# and she adds 75#, the Outback rides level and performs very well with all the other weight (4# sonar battery, extra gear and fish/crab) in the bow hold. I also carry my crab traps (1 or 2) on the bow.  I do keep my seat in the lowest position with her on board on saltwater, middle height without her on board.  I have not had an 'oh sh*t' moment yet in the Outback.

With a larger person in the seat, I think if you split the extra weight you are carrying between the rear deck and the bow hold, the ride and handling should be excellent.

Here is a shot of us heading to Simpson Reef on about a 3' swell day (that smoothed out about the time I started landing lings) with one crab trap on the bow...

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I've taken the 2019 and 2020 Outbacks out in some nasty ocean conditions and they were fine. I'm not as tall as you but plenty heavy and I had no problems. I will say the newer Outback design sits flatter on the water and will cut into a wave or steeper swells and is a wet ride but I have not had any problems with much water in the hull. Elimination of hull slap is a fair trade off to me.

Plan your trip. Decide if you will be bottom fishing or salmon trolling or both. If you can get by with one rod for both the that will save space.

As for cutting down weight, I take the bare minimum of gear in dry bags. 1 dry bag with lancers and butterfly jigs for lings and rockfish.

Another bag with salmon trolling gear with 1 flasher and a little tackle box with herring helmets, a couple spoons or spinners, hooks, swivels, sliders and cannon balls in 5,6,and 8 oz. I usually troll mid water or higher in the column so losing lead is usually not a problem. Herring in a little container.

You can freeze some water bottles to keep fish cold and double as extra drinking water as they thaw. If fish start to get warm just keep then on a stringer and soak them over the side for a bit.

I don't crab but the traps are only on your kayak at the beginning and end of the trip from what I've seen so they shouldn't be a problem while fishing, just launch and landing.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
As others have stated you should be fine in the outback.  If for some reason you feel uncomfortable i know Hobie does sell some Outriggers that add stability.  https://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Sidekick-part-number-72062101/dp/B003OYDD4Y/ref=asc_df_B003OYDD4Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312131236011&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4711448636617207483&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032829&hvtargid=pla-571559185383&psc=1

I know someone who uses these all the time and has no issues.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

anything