Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:41:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Squid in the ocean?  (Read 2309 times)

T Coastal

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Been on a kayak fishing Youtube binge lately and have seen several videos of people catching squid off PC, however it always seems to be incidental. Has anyone ever targeted them out there? It's the closest salt to me that I fish often out of a yak and actually think I already have a few squid jigs laying around somewhere. Looking for any advice if anyone has had luck, time of year, water temps, what to look for on fish finder, things like that.
2020 Hobie Outback
2018 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Rawkfish & I found a dead squid on the beach at PC in Dec. '09. It was pretty good sized. It may have been a Humboldt.

Been on a kayak fishing Youtube binge lately and have seen several videos of people catching squid off PC, however it always seems to be incidental. Has anyone ever targeted them out there? It's the closest salt to me that I fish often out of a yak and actually think I already have a few squid jigs laying around somewhere. Looking for any advice if anyone has had luck, time of year, water temps, what to look for on fish finder, things like that.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

If they're schooled up they're pretty easy to spot on the fish finder, they have a pretty distinct signature on the screen.

T Coastal

• Lingcod
That's an awesome pic. One of those would be a great addition to fish tacos  :P
2020 Hobie Outback

T Coastal

• Lingcod
If they're schooled up they're pretty easy to spot on the fish finder, they have a pretty distinct signature on the screen.

I wonder if I've ever seen a school of em out there without realizing it.
2020 Hobie Outback

workhard

• Salmon

Thats a Humboldt. They're pretty... chewy. Herring and anchovies will form tight balls on the screen, squid are more spread out and tend to form horizontal striations.

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Thanks, good to know. If I land one, I'll remember to give the steaks a good abalone pounding.

Thats a Humboldt. They're pretty... chewy. Herring and anchovies will form tight balls on the screen, squid are more spread out and tend to form horizontal striations.

workhard

• Salmon
Thanks, good to know. If I land one, I'll remember to give the steaks a good abalone pounding.

Bring the ski goggles 'cause they'll be happy to squirt a pint of ink directly at your face when they come up. They're typically found in much deeper water, a lot of tuna fishermen will fish for them at night if they sea achor off the continental shelf. About 10 years ago they had a population boom or maybe some warm currents that brought a bunch up here. People fishing for salmon in the Strait of Juan de Fuca were nailing them in the Fall so there's always a chance!

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
A few years back the salmon at Pacific City had their stomach full of market squid.  If i recall the chinook had 6-7 each in their stomach for the ones i caught.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Squid in ink sauce: https://tourism.euskadi.eus/en/dishes-tapas/squid-in-its-own-ink-sauce/aa30-12375/en/

Bring the ski goggles 'cause they'll be happy to squirt a pint of ink directly at your face when they come up. They're typically found in much deeper water, a lot of tuna fishermen will fish for them at night if they sea achor off the continental shelf. About 10 years ago they had a population boom or maybe some warm currents that brought a bunch up here. People fishing for salmon in the Strait of Juan de Fuca were nailing them in the Fall so there's always a chance!

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I remember when I was a kid in San Diego, going out for squid, and getting some big ones.
They are quie a fight!
Quickly discovered the smart thing to do was gaff em in the rear of their body, and keep their head towards the water, to avoid a good dousing!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

You either read my mind, or you're the imaginary friend I talk to every now and then.   :laugh: :laugh:

On a serious note, I was planning to try this at WA coast this Summer. I know they're around during the Summer and deposit their eggs on seaweed closer to shore. I found massive clumps of 2-3 week matured squid eggs last year. I suggest looking for them on your sonar starting around the first week of June through mid July. Timing is a guess at this point for me. Concentrate depth at 40-150' (based on my experience with Puget Sound's market squid from kayak). I'll post some photos of what they look like on my sonar if you're interested.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020

You either read my mind, or you're the imaginary friend I talk to every now and then.   :laugh: :laugh:

On a serious note, I was planning to try this at WA coast this Summer. I know they're around during the Summer and deposit their eggs on seaweed closer to shore. I found massive clumps of 2-3 week matured squid eggs last year. I suggest looking for them on your sonar starting around the first week of June through mid July. Timing is a guess at this point for me. Concentrate depth at 40-150' (based on my experience with Puget Sound's market squid from kayak). I'll post some photos of what they look like on my sonar if you're interested.

Screenshots of your sonar would be helpful. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

T Coastal

• Lingcod
I believe the more info on this thread the better, would love to see a picture of what to look for. I will be taking a couple squid jigs with me one of these times off PC and keep an eye out on the fish finder.
2020 Hobie Outback

workhard

• Salmon