Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Removable crab and shrimp pot weights -- Do they exist?  (Read 3270 times)

BiggyZee

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
After reading and watching videos it seems like hauling 30lbs+ pots from the deep is an intense workout.
Is there some kind of clip that I could attach to the trap?
There would be weights attached to the clips, and the clip would have its own line. With a nice tug I could dislodge the clips and pull it in with a large fishing reel. After reeling in the weighted clips manually pull up a much lighter pot.
If it doesn't exist I had an idea with a custom hitch-pin, similar to a descending device.

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Maybe use light duty zip ties, that would break with a nice tug of the rod? Or some light monofilament?
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

BiggyZee

• Krill
I believe your interpretation of the intensity level is overblown.  What you describe is unnecessarily complex.  I put 5 pounds of rebar in my Danielson traps and call it good.  The only time I've really struggled was in 70' with a trap of 20+ crab and that was with a bum shoulder.

Dave

Fair enough. I'll probably try it the normal way first and see how I fare.
This application was mainly for spot shrimping in Puget sound where people recommend 400ft of line and 20lbs+ of weights.

diverdoyle

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Good luck with spot shrimp in a yak somethings are better left to a larger boat

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I’ve seen positive sounding reports around kayak shrimping on here, but  when a buddy and I tried it (early in our kayak fishing careers) we retroactively named the day “Black Saturday” and he actually bought a PB the next week as a direct result.

Full pots with 20+ weights 200’+ deep and with current is no joke. Shrimp escape the pots if it’s slow or inconsistent pressure on the way up, heartbreaking to watch live after all the effort.

I like your thinking about the breakaway weight, that might help. I actually have a lighter shrimp pot I pulled up with a downrigger on a PB that I am holding onto in case I want to try the kayak method ever again. Regardless of do-ability, I found it pretty inefficient on the kayak so these days stick to PB’s with an electric puller.

BiggyZee

• Krill
It seems like shrimp pots on kayak is no joke :laugh:. People seem to struggle manually pulling even on a boat.

Had another idea modifying the mesh on those casting crab traps, as well as putting some "fingers" at the end like a venus fly trap. WDFW emailed me saying it was OK if the mesh size meets the gear requirements. I'd probably let it soak for 10-15 minutes then retrieve. Don't really have a big freezer so I would just keep enough shrimp for a catch n cook, and maybe another meal day. That also means no need for a big heavy pot to yak around.  ;D

I'll attach a drawing of the breakaway weight idea.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I'll attach a drawing of the breakaway weight idea.

Give it a shot, experimenting can be fun. Maybe try it out in freshwater before the season starts so you don't ruin a day of crabbing ;).

Interpreting your blueprint literally, I wonder if having the weight mounted on the side would cause the trap to tend to lay on it's side.

BiggyZee

• Krill
Give it a shot, experimenting can be fun. Maybe try it out in freshwater before the season starts so you don't ruin a day of crabbing ;).

Interpreting your blueprint literally, I wonder if having the weight mounted on the side would cause the trap to tend to lay on it's side.

Will do. Still waiting on the second half of my kayak  :laugh:
It was supposed to be 4 weights each one on a corner. Or maybe just 2 laying flat side down. Hoping my Penn 8000 reel can take the weight.

diverdoyle

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
side note   is a  great place  for  weights is  thrift  stores / good wills   get the  richard  simmons  coated  1-5# weights  for really cheap  there

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
You are making him sad bro.  :sad10:

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

anything