Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kokatat fit  (Read 1179 times)

Crabman

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Thinking of ordering a pair of Kokatat Hydrus 3.0 Tempest Pants with socks.  At 5’9” and 175 lbs I seem to be right in between the M and L size.  Anybody out there about my size own a pair of these?  Also, the socks are supposedly size 9 and if my feet are size 9 can I get a heavy pair of socks on underneath the pants?  I realize this is a weighty topic but any information would be helpful.   PS:  Anyone know of a store within 200 miles of Eugene that has an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 angler?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Go big. When buying a drysuit or dry pants, I choose a large size so there's plenty of room under it for layers of warm clothing.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I found the socks on the Kokatat paddling pants to be oversized - by a lot.  I was in the same place as you and had Kokatat put larger socks on mine, and they're inches too large.  I stuck with the standard socks when I bought my Hydrus drysuit, and they're plenty big but they fit.

Don't buy an oversized dry suit if you aren't ice-fishing in it.  Go to the Kokatat website, go through their sizing application in their custom shop, and Kokatat will tell you what off-the-rack size you need - and it will have room for lots of under-layers.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

• Date Registered: Feb 2021
I just got back from trying on the Kokatat at Next Adventure. I am 5' 10", 250 lbs and wear a size 11.5-12 for shoes. Unfortunately they only had a medium and XL. My feet fit fine in the medium however the legs were pretty tight and I couldn't pull the suit over my waist. The XL was longer than I needed but fit well everywhere else. I had about an inch of foot room in the XL booties but it didn't feel excessive. The suits are interesting in that they look HUGE before you try them on. I would highly recommend making it out to a store that carries them to try them on. It's a pretty big investment.

• Date Registered: Feb 2021
I just realized this was a post for pants and not a dry or semi dry suit. My post was in reference to those. Apologies.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I just got back from trying on the Kokatat at Next Adventure. I am 5' 10", 250 lbs and wear a size 11.5-12 for shoes. Unfortunately they only had a medium and XL. My feet fit fine in the medium however the legs were pretty tight and I couldn't pull the suit over my waist. The XL was longer than I needed but fit well everywhere else. I had about an inch of foot room in the XL booties but it didn't feel excessive. The suits are interesting in that they look HUGE before you try them on. I would highly recommend making it out to a store that carries them to try them on. It's a pretty big investment.

I think Chromer still has a Kokatat Goretex XL suit still for sale.   Look in the For Sale forum.  A really nice price for a Gore-tex suit.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I just realized this was a post for pants and not a dry or semi dry suit. My post was in reference to those. Apologies.

Understood, but you're interested in finding the right sock size and not many of us use the paddling pants.  I got them when I was still paddling around in lakes and I still wear them when I'm wade-fishing or paddling in a wetsuit.  And again, I recommend you use the Kokatat custom sizing tool as if you're going to buy a dry suit - they'll tell you what socks will fit you no matter what product you buy.

I'm 5'9" and weighed ~180 when I bought the pants.  I bought a Medium and they fit (properly) loosely so I can get lots of warm underlayers in them and still be able squat down to tie on a new fly.  The length of the legs is just about spot on.  I like the fit.  YMMV.

I can tell you their medium-sized socks fit my size 12's with plenty of room for the heaviest-weight Smartwool socks and a lighter pair of Darned Tough Vermont wool undersocks.  I'm limited by my wading boots, not the size of the socks on the pants.

Good luck!

P.S.  Excellent choice in kayaks.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything